|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Ball position

Ball position

How do you decide how close to stand to the ball for a given club? Do you stand a certain distance and it looks right? Does it come naturally and you don't even think about it?

I was having a bad time with ball striking a few months ago, and by watching the tour on TV I realized I was standing a bit too far (mostly looking at posture and hand position). I recently went through another bad spell, and today at the range I figured out I over-corrected and was standing too close (with the long irons and woods)! I moved back a little, and the solid contact, distance, straightness all started to come back - everything felt better about the swing. We're only talking a couple inches or less here. I know that gross ball position errors lead to bad things (off-balance, too cramped, etc...), but is good ball striking so sensitive to even an inch or two difference?

Quote Originally Posted by elbe-one
    How do you decide how close to stand to the ball for a given club? Do you stand a certain distance and it looks right? Does it come naturally and you don't even think about it?

I was having a bad time with ball striking a few months ago, and by watching the tour on TV I realized I was standing a bit too far (mostly looking at posture and hand position). I recently went through another bad spell, and today at the range I figured out I over-corrected and was standing too close (with the long irons and woods)! I moved back a little, and the solid contact, distance, straightness all started to come back - everything felt better about the swing. We're only talking a couple inches or less here. I know that gross ball position errors lead to bad things (off-balance, too cramped, etc...), but is good ball striking so sensitive to even an inch or two difference?
    just got this DVD from the partners club and in it Tom Lehman says to stand strait up, realy tense, and then let your back slowly drop down until it natually stops and you feel restriction. Then let your hands hang freely, than grab a club and the length of the shaft down to the middle of the clubface is the distance you should stand.

This is a subject where there is a lot of honest disagreement. Some prefer to always keep the ball toward the front toe, and vary the width of the stance depending on the club length. Others keep the shorter clubs toward the middle of the stance, and place the ball further forward as the club length increases. The pro giving me lessons at the moment has a different idea. He wants me for all the clubs except the driver to keep the ball in the middle of the stance, because that is where the club has its lowest point on the swing arc. For the driver, he wants me to move it up a bit so the ball is hit on the upswing. This happens to work for me, but obviously there is "more than one way to skin a cat".
    "Many opinions, no right answers".
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Lightbulb

[B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]http://grouchygolf.blogspot.com/ [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

Thanks! Very interesting articles.

Thread Information