|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Left Handed Beginner Questions

I've been "lurking on this list for the past several weeks, having learned quite a bit from all the posts, but I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out with. Yes, I have been taking lessons, and will be going out on the course for the first time later this week.

I purchased a set of Callaway BB 04 irons (4 - 10, W) and am quite happy with them thus far. I also bought the "S" and "P" wedges and a Ping putter. The more balls I hit, the more consistent I have been.

My plan is to now look to get two fairway woods say a 3 and a 5, and once I am somewhat proficient with them, to get a driver.

I've now started the search for fairway woods and know that everyone recommends trying before buying. But one problem I have is that the selection of left-handed clubs at any store is usually quite limited when compared to right-handed clubs. Also, I'm not really sure what specifically I should be looking for. How does one get around this? Also, any other recommendations you would have for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

The only thing harder than finding Left Handed mens clubs, is finding Left Handed womens clubs. It is a %*$&%. My wife is left handed, she has to pick and choose mens clubs to test, and pray she liked them with the womens shaft. You may want to test some where they can test your speed to get an idea of the type of shaft you need, or at least get an idea how far you hit a 5-6i and a driver. You will probably be in a regular flex shaft in the beginning, but only getting tested will let you know for sure.

Unfortunately, my wife had to go to about 10-15 different places over the course of several days just to be able to test out enought to make a decision. I can tell you that Dicks Sporting Goods, Golf Galaxy, and Golfsmith stores usually have bits and pieces of left handed woods, if they are in your area. Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith both have launch monitors and speed testers.

Good luck, my wife had to do this a year ago, then the airlines lost her clubs and she had to do it again this year.

If there is a good side to picking out left handed clubs, it is the fact that if you buy older models, you will get good deals and they are not so picked over as the RH. I pieced together a set for my wife to play until she got her settlement from the airlines for less than $200 for a Driver and 4 fairway woods. All name brand, mostly Adams. Some for as cheap as $20 I just went in a sporting goods store everytime I passed one. She got her New TM irons and 2 of the Callaway woods that she picked out yesterday, all except the Driver, 5w and 9w which should be in soon.

Ray,

I am also a lefty, and compared to most on this forum, a relative beginner.

I will begin by saying your approach is very sound.. Starting with lessons is something I wish I had done...now I have engrained mistakes that developed in my earliest stages that sneak back into my swing from time to time. Good luck with the irons...they should be a big help.

As for your lefty woes, I can honestly say that I don't encounter that very often anymore. I do my shopping at Golftown (Canada, eh...), and their selection includes a very wide range of left-handed models. About the only manufacturer I have yet to see only in right-hand is MacGregor. It is a fact that there are a very high number of lefty golfers in Canada due to our exposure to hockey at an early age, but pretty much every major OEM offers their clubs in both right and left, so it is probably more a question of limited inventory where you are shopping. There are some characteristics of certain models that are particular to right-handed clubs with different manufacturers, ie. lofts in woods, lofts and bounce in wedges, and forged or not forged in irons. Certain models of putters are not made in lefty either, although other models are available from that same OEM. On the whole, however, it is not too difficult to find top quality clubs for lefties anymore. Personally, given the choice, I would go with the 2004 Big Berthas for fairway woods. I find they feel great, are long, and are great looking clubs to boot...track one down and try it...if you lke them it would make a great compliment to your irons.

As for what you should be looking for, a big consideration is shaft flex. Steel shafts will give more control over the shots, but will tend to hit shorter shots than graphite. Lighter flex graphite is best for slower swing speeds, and it tends to help the ball in the air a bit more. Ask your pro what he/she thinks would suit your swing speed and your approach to the game.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Brent Nadeau; 06-29-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    Personally, given the choice, I would go with the 2004 Big Berthas for fairway woods. I find they feel great, are long, and are great looking clubs to boot...track one down and try it...if you lke them it would make a great compliment to your irons.

Good luck.
    It must be something about Callaway going after people using the Right Side of their brain. This is what my wife got, but in the Womens Model.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    It must be something about Callaway going after people using the Right Side of their brain. This is what my wife got, but in the Womens Model.
    Could be...the only Callaway club I liked before trying these and the 454 is my Oddessy putter. But those 2004's are really nice, and I can smack the ball silly with them...might check for a 4 wood during the off-season.

I'm in the same boat, being a lefty and a beginner. I just got a set of new 05 BBs (4-10+W) off of ebay and I also picked up the BB Heavenwood 3h (all in firm flex graphite).

I actually hit my irons pretty well and have more trouble with my drive. Which is why I will be using the 3H off the tee to start with. Hopefully I can then make the switch to a BB 454 or something

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle
    I'm in the same boat, being a lefty and a beginner. I just got a set of new 05 BBs (4-10+W) off of ebay and I also picked up the BB Heavenwood 3h (all in firm flex graphite).

I actually hit my irons pretty well and have more trouble with my drive. Which is why I will be using the 3H off the tee to start with. Hopefully I can then make the switch to a BB 454 or something

If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to go with the firm flex graphite? My golf pro recommended that I get steel shafts for the irons to help with the control and durability.

I also appreciate everyone's comments and do intend to check out the Callaway BB fairway woods. It seems that the graphite shafts are more preferred in these.

Quote Originally Posted by RAO-3
    If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to go with the firm flex graphite? My golf pro recommended that I get steel shafts for the irons to help with the control and durability.

I also appreciate everyone's comments and do intend to check out the Callaway BB fairway woods. It seems that the graphite shafts are more preferred in these.
    It's a pretty poor answer, but I got them because that's what was available on ebay If the pro tells you to get steel then you may wanna go with his advice as I have yet to speak with any pros on the matter.

I want a lefties only golf day!!!

I am a lefty I play with the x-14's 2-pw and a 3w because I can stick the irons and I only use the 3w to get me closer on the par 5's. I love steel shaft clubs I guess because that's what I've aways hit. My only club with a graphite shaft is the pd5 wilson driver with a graphite design xstiff ys-6 and I hate it because I hit it so perfect straight and it goes a mile in the air, carries 250-275 and stops within 5yrds I know that if I changed the degree on the club it would be amazing. I feel sorry for you that the shop has a limited choice for lefties. I really don't have that problem anymore being I live in golfing meca now. there are days where the demo guys will all be at a driving range near me and be able to build you a club that day.

the fw clubs haven't really changed much in the last 10 years if it's 17-4 stainless steel that's all you need I really don't think fw's are even made in a hot face in a standard 6al-4v titanium but I doubt you'll even see a difference in distance if you did find one. If you look at the top players in the world I bet they are still using fw club models that are 5 years old. I personally loved the steelhead callaways but I really wanted a certain shaft and a grip and it was very hard to get a fair price from a pro shop so I said I just get a knockoff head and it works amazing for me. Just remember this if you don't love your clubs they won't love you back.

Thanks for the tips. I plan to check out the three golf stores near me - a Dick's, Sports Authority and a NY Golf to see what they have available to try out. I'll also be talking to my instructor this afternoon to get her advise.

I see you said NY Golf. If you are by NYC, there is a Golfsmith Superstore in Livingston, NJ, maybe 30 minutes outside the city off 10 by 280. They have a decent selection of Left Handed Clubs to demo, and a nice hitting facility to analyze your swing and speed and such. That is where my wife got fitted and tested clubs. They also have a selection of used Lefties.

Edit 1 - here is the store info
    http://www.golfsmith.com/retail_stor...ore_number=054

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    I see you said NY Golf. If you are by NYC, there is a Golfsmith Superstore in Livingston, NJ, maybe 30 minutes outside the city off 10 by 280. They have a decent selection of Left Handed Clubs to demo, and a nice hitting facility to analyze your swing and speed and such. That is where my wife got fitted and tested clubs. They also have a selection of used Lefties.

Edit 1 - here is the store info
    http://www.golfsmith.com/retail_stor...ore_number=054

Thanks for the tip! I'm in central NJ, but don't mind the roadtrip if there's a good place to check out.

They have 3 other stores which may be closer, not sure.
    http://www.golfsmith.com/store_finder.php#newjersey

Golf Galaxy also has a store in Mt. Laurel which is closer to Philly. Golf Galaxy has a great hitting facility as well, and has almost as many Lefties, or at least the one in PA by Philly did, just not many womens clubs for my wife to hit.
    http://www.golfgalaxy.com/galaxy/dep...2Esvl=deptnav2

If you go to Golfsmith before the 4th, don't forget the coupon that Dorkman Posted for up to 50% off
    http://www.golfsmith.com/email/FFJ05

Lh sticks

Finally, the lefties band together....
    Anyway, here's my opinion on the matter. I think I have the best-kept secret in golf in my bag: KZG Gemini. I have a 355cc driver, a 460cc driver, and this week picked up the new fairway woods (3&5). These are easily the most forgiving clubs I've ever played. It doesn't matter where you hit them on the face, it's gone. On the driver: I demoed a Callaway 454 this spring, and had the Gemini 460 with me for comparison. The 454 was a 9deg with a stiff Aldila NVS, the KZG is a 10.5 with a stiff Harmon CB65, same length. The Gemini is easily more forgiving, and about 15-20 yds longer than the Callaway. My first swing with the new 3 wood was from an slightly uphill lie, into a little breeze from about 240. Flew to the front edge, one hop, check. 15 footer for eagle (easy birdie lol). I also have several sets of their irons. I just love the way their clubs feel. For me, there's no question what clubs I would recommend to anyone. If you have a local clubmaker who has a contract with KZG, talk to him. I got mine with steel shafts, and he gave me a deal at $180, but they're defineately worth every penny.

I'm glad to see that there are as many left handed players as there are, and that everyone has been kind enough to respond. I have some homework to do, but do really appreciate all the tips and guidance.

Don't let anyone talk you into switching to the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by PnHi
    Don't let anyone talk you into switching to the right side.
    Several people tried to convince my wife this was the way to go. She probably would have quit if she would have taken their advice. The Pro that taught us to play was NOT one of them. There was another person in the lessons (5 weeks, 1 hour a week), she didn't make it to the 3rd lesson. She could only hit the ball about 3 feet (which was probably more than I could have had I tried to play lefty to start) and was to embarrased to come back I think. Although now I do practice a couple shots flipping an iron and hitting lefty when I go to the range, I can now hit it about 50-100 yards on a good shot, but have only had to do so maybe 10-15 times in 5 years. Even practicing this alot, my swing feels pretty butt ugly, I couldn't imagine playing that way all the time. What is worse is that I play with my wife, yet know that I can't legally borrow her club when faced with the shot.

Sure it's hard to find clubs, but if you can't enjoy the clubs, what's the purpose. I doubt that you will go through buying clubs without somone telling you to switch, most likely from someone who has never swung a club lefty and would take a unplayable drop on the course before putting themselves through the torment.

I learned a long time ago not to try to do things right handed. Like writing and playing baseball. So no one will convince me otherwise. Actually that is why I posted the question, recognizing there were others that likely faced the same issues as I am facing now, and I hope to learn from each of your experiences.

Thread Information