|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Closed face driver recommendations

I'm playing a Steelhead III 12* that has a 2* closed face. The closed face/ high loft combo suits my slow swing fine, and I'm regularly in the fairway. But I'm looking for something a little hotter and bigger that can perhaps get me another 10 - 20 yards out. In surfing the net in search of a potential replacement, I'm not getting enough information about what new technology, larger head drivers are out there that feature a 2 or 3* closed face. Any suggestions? Recommendations?

I would go get fitted for a driver. I just got fitted for one. They lined up 8 or 9 of the newest drivers - Ping, Callaway, Taylor, Titelist, etc and I hit balls off of the launch monitor into a net. After hitting each club three times, we narrowed it down to six, and repeated the process. In the end it was easy to see which one I hit the best. (Ping G2)

-Ryan

I would learn to hit one without a closed face it can only help u in the long run and give u more options when selecting clubs.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jordoo
    I would learn to hit one without a closed face it can only help u in the long run and give u more options when selecting clubs.
    Agree. Most folks only use the closed face drivers because they slice the ball due to swing flaws. Neutral face is better option and work on your swing. If still I had to choose a closed face I would go with Cobra SZ models or TM R5 draw bais.

Quote Originally Posted by jordoo
    Exactly my thought. Unless you have been trying for years and years and have no intentions of correcting a swing flaw that the closed faced driver is fixing. Once you correct the swing flaw, your driver will be pretty useless and detrimental to your game, because by having a correct swing, you will then have a nice duck hook. I tend to believe you will never correct the swing, if the result of a great swing is a lousy duck hook into the woods. If you hit a fade, learn to play the fade by teeing on the right side of the tee and aiming down the left of the fairway. If you have a heavy slice and want to correct for this, I would recommend teeing off with a 3 wood until you correct the issue (mainly because loft will better correct the issue without hurting your swing, and since you have 12* already, a 3w is only slightly more loft).

I can not recommend hooked face drivers as previous posters have mentioned. Fix the swing. If you given up all hopes, try a Cobra 460 SZ.

Thanks all for the prompt and thorough replies. I do tend to leave the club face open and have found the slightly closed face driver cures the laziness without redoing the swing. My problem with a square faced driver is I tend to try to close it and end up delofting the club a bit. With my creaky swing, that means much shorter shots. I will check out the Cobra SZ, a driver I've yet to hit.

I refuse to recommend hooked face drivers, FIX YOUR SWING!

Quote Originally Posted by tuvie
    Thanks all for the prompt and thorough replies. I do tend to leave the club face open and have found the slightly closed face driver cures the laziness without redoing the swing. My problem with a square faced driver is I tend to try to close it and end up delofting the club a bit. With my creaky swing, that means much shorter shots. I will check out the Cobra SZ, a driver I've yet to hit.
    I see people deloft their drivers all the time. It is a really really bad habit. These are usually people that don't understand the swing. When you deloft the club and takes away back spin which negates sidespin. In essence, you are going to get a shorter, lower, more crooked ball flight. Why not just move the ball further up in your stance? Play the ball between the left toe and heel of your left foot for right handers.

Thread Information