|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Would getting clubs shorten alter the swingweight drastically?

I'm thinking about picking up some new irons to replace my Nike NDS's. From what I've seen the difference between graphite and steel shafts is usually 1/2". But from the ones that I have now and the clubs that I'm looking at (Taylor Made CGB), the difference between my graphite and the steel that I want is 3/4".

On the clubs I have now I tend to choke down a bit on the irons when playing, not so much for more control, but I'm only 5'7". I also like to play the club closer to my body, closer than some of my friends. I'm wondering if I get new irons if the 3/4" is a big enough difference and if shortening the clubs even further (maybe 1/2" to 1" more) would alter the swing weight drastically enough to throw the club off balance. I know that it seems that you can get clubs altered 2" in either direction, but I want to maintain a good feel with the club while getting a good enough grip towards the end of the club (choking down on the club too much makes the club feel a little awkward in my hands). Thanks for any help.

If you shorten it the swing weight will change. I don't know by how much but it will change. One gram of lead tape placed on the club head adds about one swing weight. I'm not sure about the grip end.

After they are cut the swing weight can be brought back by adding weight to the grip end, but then the total weight may be more than what you started with.

Talk with a good club maker!

PS: it isn't uncommon for a new set of clubs to be off a couple swing weights across all the irons. And I bet your woods and wedges don't match your irons.
    Cheers,
    Jay

I'm not that overly concerned about the actual swing weight, but I'm wondering if shortening it would make the club feel less then what it should. I just don't want the club to feel like I'm hitting the ball with a stick, if you know what I mean. I'd rather be able to grip the club comfortably towards the end of the club and setup in my usual address then have to choke down or even alter my address just so I could hold the club at the end.

Don't shorten the club. Just change the lie.

Then just....

Quote Originally Posted by TM82
    I'm not that overly concerned about the actual swing weight, but I'm wondering if shortening it would make the club feel less then what it should. I just don't want the club to feel like I'm hitting the ball with a stick, if you know what I mean. I'd rather be able to grip the club comfortably towards the end of the club and setup in my usual address then have to choke down or even alter my address just so I could hold the club at the end.
    shorten one club and if it feels to light add some lead tape to the back of the clubhead.

Add weight to the clubhead to move the balance point toward the clubhead (higher swingweight). Taking weight away from the "back" (grip) end of the club also increases swingweight, but can only be accomplished by going to a lighter grip.

1/2 inch in length equals approximately 3 swingweight points. A D2 club, for example, becomes C9 if you shorten it 1/2 inch, and C6 if you shorten it 1 inch.

Equally importantly, a significantly shorter club typically plays stiffer. Many golfers believe that "feel" of the clubhead is reduced when swingweight is lighter. Combined with a shaft that plays stiffer (a shaft flexes less as it is shortened), relatively low swingweight could cause you some club control problems.

All of the above said, everything is relative and individual. But if you shorten your clubs significantly (more than 1/2 inch), you may want to consider adding weight to the heads (through bunches of lead tape, lead down the shaft, or tip weights in the hosel) in order to maintain feel and shaft flex.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Clubs will be slightly stiffer as well if u shorten the shafts.U would however probably offset thet as well by adding a little lead tape to the head.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information