|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Need more distance...

Hello again,
    Sorry to be a post whore but i am seeking more distance out of my drives. I am currently in the 270-290 range but i play with guys who consistently get 290-310yds. Can i do a different shaft head combo for my 983k or get a new driver? Would getting fitted for a driver improve anything by much? I also read that changing my 9.5 loft to a 10.5-11 would do me some justice? Sorry for all the questions guys but wanting to improve my game drives me crazy. thanks to all of you in advance.

The other thread was fine, but If you want some extra distance, getting fitted for a shaft would be a good way to go. I also don't see the point in it though, if you can hit it that far, who cares if you have a 9i while they have a wedge?

What works for them won't always work for you.

I hit a 10.5 - 9.5 - 8.5 and I hit the 8.5 15 yards longer than the other 2.

They all had the same shafts and I hit them all in the sweet spot

But, other guys I know are the exact opposite, They have to hit 10.5 * because they can't get lower loft drivers up high enough to get there potential distance.

If you want more distance, Your just going to have to experiment. Try to find a demo day somewhere where you can hit 5 different drivers with 5 different shafts in all of them and try different lofts.

Getting fitted for a driver is the smartest thing.

Golf is like a stack of dominoes, If you can't get off the Tee, It's that much harder to get on the green, which makes it that much harder to make pars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Comparing their distance and club, and thinking you want their distance and club without considering difference in swings, would be like comparing their distance and what they ate for lunch with your distance and what you ate for lunch. If they had liver and onions for lunch, and hit the ball 10-20 yards further, do you really want too spend the money and put that crap in your mouth if there is very little chance it will do anything for you.

If you are that concerned with gaining 10-20 yards, go to a club fitter, find out your swings speed and optimal shaft and loft. Personally I would tend to believe that if you are really hitting an average of 270-290, not that I am questioning this, but about 90% of the people overestimate their driving distance, then you probably have a swing speed in excess of 110mph and hit the ball on the screws with a swing that is O.K. I tend to believe you would gain very little by going to a more lofted driver than 9.5*. Now if your distance were 260-270, that would lead me to believe you have a swing speed where a more lofted driver may help. Get a little more information about your swing characteristics and speed from a fitter before jumping to the conclusion that you need a better driver to match your friends distance. With your current swing, 270-290 and straight may be the most distance you will ever get, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. My distance is only 265 average, and if it stays on the fairway I am happy. I know unless I increase my swing speed or swing quality the equipment change will not help my distance.

In a nutshell, don't screw up something that already works.

What do you shoot for scores? Maybe you don't need the extra distance.

Could your friend perhaps have played for longer than you and be a better golfer?
    Nothing creates distance like a good swing with the body coiling against the legs and the hands releasing through impact. I played last year with a little asian dude about 5'6 and skinny just getting back into golf after braking his wrist and having to use a baseball grip he hit it thirty yards past me on each and every tee and his driver had nothing to do with it. Spend $300 on a new driver and unless you are using a shaft way too stiff you will be lucky to gain ten yards. $300 worth of lessons and practice will have more of an affect.
    If you want to get a new driver then having a full custom fitting session is a good idea and will ensure you are getting the maximum distance from your swing but I have never seen any body gain twenty or thirty yards as you see claimed in the reviews.

If I want to hit it further I tee it up high and off my left toe. Stand about three inches further away than normal. Then I make sure that I have a nice long low take away after that when I start down I basically look at the ball and swing like a beast. It works for me. I don't care what anyone says if u learn to swing hard and hit it long and wrong u can always learn control later. But if u learn to hit it straight with a nice easy controlled swing u can't always learn to smack the crap out of it.lol. Never saw anyone hit it really far that didn't swing hard. Even if they where really smooth still swinging hard.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

well this is my first golf season and i have progressed pretty quick. i usually shoot between 78-81 and i am trying to get better quicker because my goal is to try to play college golf for my local college. I dont know what scores community college players produce but i just dont want to be left in the dust by them. thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by AJSx2
    well this is my first golf season and i have progressed pretty quick. i usually shoot between 78-81
    I find this very hard to believe.

Nobody hits the ball 290 yards, and shoots in the 70's their first year.

Yeah, shooting in the 70's for a first year is very good, if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    I find this very hard to believe.

Nobody hits the ball 290 yards, and shoots in the 70's their first year.
    Yeah, I know. It took me 18 months before I shot in the 70's and hit the ball 290 yards for the first time, so if it took me 18 months at the age of 35 with all my experience in life, someone who is young, limber and athletic must be lieing if they did it six months sooner.

Try and justify it, but for a FIRST season of touching golf clubs, I don't care how much you play, you're not going to shoot in the 70's. We aren't talking about 12 months here either, we're talking about his first season, generously starting in april. Now, for someone to go from not touching a golf club to shooting in the 70 in a couple months is miraculous. In a couple more months you should be shooting in the 60's.

Fact still remains, that to shoot in the 70's you need on course experience, experiences like playing the ball out of different lies in the rough, being able to work the ball, and eliminating blow up holes, things that a first year player simply cannot do until they gain the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    Try and justify it, but for a FIRST season of touching golf clubs, I don't care how much you play, you're not going to shoot in the 70's. We aren't talking about 12 months here either, we're talking about his first season, generously starting in april. Now, for someone to go from not touching a golf club to shooting in the 70 in a couple months is miraculous. In a couple more months you should be shooting in the 60's.

Fact still remains, that to shoot in the 70's you need on course experience, experiences like playing the ball out of different lies in the rough, being able to work the ball, and eliminating blow up holes, things that a first year player simply cannot do until they gain the experience.
    Who to believe, who to believe.
    Your right, I always fall for such falsehoods. Look at my track record. I'm the same one to believe that a 5 handicap could shoot in the 100's. Oh well, time to go cry in the corner.

And actually, if I start golf in June, I would consider my first season my first year, but that is just me.

We aren't talking about 12 months here either, we're talking about his first season, generously starting in april.
    Is that We or You, I don't think He specified.

GIve this guy a break.
    Am I the only that believes it is possible to be good their first year of golf.
    Its not like golf is a hard sport to play. You pick the club up, hit the little white ball into a hole, and your done. Holy ****, if this guy can drive far, 270-290, he is really close to the green for his second shot, making it really easy for him. Leave this guy alone. It sounds to me like all of you have been playing golf for a long time and are jealous that we have a young college guy showing you up.

Goodness gracious, you guys... There shouldn't even be a debate about whether he's BSing or not. The discussion should be on how little he knows about the game that he can't even BS well enough to appear believable.

I know everybody want to be polite and everything but.... there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    Who to believe, who to believe.
    Your right, I always fall for such falsehoods. Look at my track record. I'm the same one to believe that a 5 handicap could shoot in the 100's. Oh well, time to go cry in the corner.

And actually, if I start golf in June, I would consider my first season my first year, but that is just me.

Is that We or You, I don't think He specified.
    He specified his first season. His home course is Coyote Run which is obviously a new course in Illinois, where there is somewhat of a golf season.

Say what you want, accuse me of lying about my handicap on a golf review site, I find it extremely hard to believe. Its just me. Your oppinion isn't the is all end all. Neither is mine. Everytime someone doesn't agree with you, you seem to ensue it in a way to try and make them change their minds.

I like the guy that started this post, I wouldnt doubt him shooting mid to low 80's on average, but being a 70's shooter in your first season touching a golf club is a little far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    Goodness gracious, you guys...
    Hey LBC, how you doing lately. How you hitting the white ball ;)

Everytime someone doesn't agree with you, you seem to ensue it in a way to try and make them change their minds.
    Actually, I really don't care if people disagree with me. I usually just tend to give people the benifit of the doubt. Regardless of whether I believe them or not. I said this the last time I stepped in something that real stunk up the joint. I actually tend to believe the Original Poster in this thread more than the last time this same situation got me in hot water, simply because he did not state that he had only played a year, or season as you seem to want to argue (personally I play golf all winter), prior to being asked by Fred3. Where as the last time this happened the Original Poster seemed to only want to be viewed as a better golfer with a really good swing. So I will give you your victory, and agree that I was fully wrong last time I got involved in a similar situation a couple weeks ago. At this point, I really do believe that person that said something a couple weeks ago just wanted to inflate his own ego.

If I undoubtably think their full of $#!+ I usually just stay out of it and let the hounds pick the carcuss clean. Again, I admit it for the 3rd time, I am wrong. I should have just let the hounds have their way with the last guy.

In two more weeks, I may feel the same way about this guy, but until then, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he can provide film footage walking to his ball 270 yards out in the fairway, or provide a picture of his scorecard, that would surely be proof positive.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-13-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Why do I get the impression this will be headed to the non-golf topic very shortly?

"Who to believe, who to believe.
    Your right, I always fall for such falsehoods. Look at my track record. I'm the same one to believe that a 5 handicap could shoot in the 100's. Oh well, time to go cry in the corner."

It's not unheard of. Course conditions, weather conditions, playing in a new way you're constantly trying to fight from your old way of doing things. I think Bethpage said he was even experimenting with a new swing change that a pro at the course told him to do. If you think it's still unheard of that a 5 handicap could shoot over a 100, try this next time you're out on the course. Play opposite handed. I bet you'll shoot way over 100. I know I'd probably shoot almost 200. It IS possible!

Billy Casper, the 1970 Masters winner, shot a 106 during the second round of the Masters this year. It will never go in the record books as the highest round ever since he withdrew after his disastrous round.

I promise I'm not trying to start a fight or to try and get in your face and say you're wrong, but in a sport where the unbelievable is most certainly possible, anything can happen.

Mward2002,

If you read the prior thread, you will find that I actually said it was quite possible for the same reasons you mentioned, and that I have infact played with several people of 7 or lower handicap that shot in the 100's. This appeared to be what started the debate in the other thread. I would not have been involved had I not found it believable. So I fail to see how I would question what you said based on my comments in the last thread. The point you quoted here was a sarcastic remark, solely in response to the last thread. Althought I tend to believe that someone such as Bethpage who has made similar "unbelievable" remarks, should not be casting stones. It seems hipocritacal to my observation to criticizie and question someone for the same thing he defended outright just last week.

My opinion of Bethpage and why I changed my stance to one where I really feel that he was just trying to boost his ego, did not come about until he made comment to the regard that anyone who cannot hit a par 5 in 2 hits like a women, and that he had footage to prove that he could. Although the footage of a ball sitting on a green is quite entertaining.

edit 1 - and here is the thread in question, I think anyone who reads my post's would be able to formulate an opinion that I do not believe it is impossible for a low handicap golfer to shoot in the 100's.
    http://forums.golfreview.com/showthr...&page=1&pp=100
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-13-2005 at 01:01 PM.

Ah you're right, my fault. I misread/misinterpreted it and thought you were being sarcastic in saying it's possible. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Ah you're right, my fault. I misread/misinterpreted it and thought you were being sarcastic in saying it's possible. I apologize.
    Not a problem, my sarcasm sometimes gets me in trouble.

Mward2002,

If you read the prior thread, you will find that I actually said it was quite possible for the same reasons you mentioned, and that I have infact played with several people of 7 or lower handicap that shot in the 100's. This appeared to be what started the debate in the other thread. I would not have been involved had I not found it believable. So I fail to see how I would question what you said based on my comments in the last thread. The point you quoted here was a sarcastic remark, solely in response to the last thread. Althought I tend to believe that someone such as Bethpage who has made similar "unbelievable" remarks, should not be casting stones. It seems hipocritacal to my observation to criticizie and question someone for the same thing he defended outright just last week.

My opinion of Bethpage and why I changed my stance to one where I really feel that he was just trying to boost his ego, did not come about until he made comment to the regard that anyone who cannot hit a par 5 in 2 hits like a women, and that he had footage to prove that he could. Although the footage of a ball sitting on a green is quite entertaining.

edit 1 - and here is the thread in question, I think anyone who reads my post's would be able to formulate an opinion that I do not believe it is impossible for a low handicap golfer to shoot in the 100's.
    And the next time I have time to make a fake video of me reaching a par 5 in two, I'll call ya up, maybe after we'll go post some phoney scores, and get my brother whos only been playing for a season to shoot in the 70's.

I don't want to turn this into a big argument, I respect you and enjoy your presence on the board Jayhawk. However, accusing me of lying is something else, especially when it is false. I'm sorry if you guys don't enjoy joking too much (the woman comment), I do. Also what people fail to realize about that 101 is the two 10's I took on par 4's for not finishing the hole. I've stated that numerous times, but I guess I'm lying about that too.

Hey PA Jayhawk you shot in the 70 inside 18 month how Im not trying to pore scorn on your achievements just asking a question did you start with lessons? Regular practice? And are you one of those annoyingly sporty people who can turn their hand to any thing athletic and get real good real quick? Lots of sports people compete in other disciplines and do really well. Robbie Fowler has had several 147 brakes and Henman plays to a 4 handicap for example.

Mward2002,
    I think anyone who reads my post's would be able to formulate an opinion that I do not believe it is impossible for a low handicap golfer to shoot in the 100's.
    You better get the reading glasses and a cold glass of milk, and get comfy, because theyre LONG. (In a non sarcastic, friendly way, just to specify)

I don't want to turn this into a big argument, I respect you and enjoy your presence on the board Jayhawk. However, accusing me of lying is something else, especially when it is false. I'm sorry if you guys don't enjoy joking too much (the woman comment), I do. Also what people fail to realize about that 101 is the two 10's I took on par 4's for not finishing the hole. I've stated that numerous times, but I guess I'm lying about that too.
    First let me just state that I never insinuated that you were lying. My entire reason for getting involved in the other thread as well as the present one was to stress that too many people jump to the conclusion that someone is lying simply because the person finds the information to be "unbelievable" in nature. I do not find what you said in the other thread to be unbelievable, nor do I find the circumstances in this one to be unbelievable. Now, in support of what you said, if the guy said he started in April, has played for only 2 1/2 months, and is already shooting in the the 70's and can hit the ball 290 yards, that is a different story. I would find that to be unbelievable "in my opinion" and would probably avoid the conversation all together, as opposed to insinuating that he is lying. That is just my nature.

In all honesty, I would say you are arrogant about your game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and is the sign of not only a strong golfer, but a person who feels strongly about their ability as a person in general. That is a compliment to you in my book. I tend to believe I am very arrogant in my opinions.

However, do not be surprised if people hold you to a higher standard based on that, and joke about what you say in the same sense that you did with the "women" comment. You really should expect no less.

I simply said that my opinion of you "changed" based on that comment. That is not an insult, it simply means that I will probably weigh what you say based on an arrogant nature. As far as my meaning, simply take it to mean that I usually just allow people with a more arrogant manor to fight their own battles. In the same way, if the original poster comes back and says he is shooting in the 70's after only 2 1/2 months, then he will need to fight his own battle, because that is simply beyond my grasp. Not that he is not telling the truth, but I have nothing in my experience to support his claim, so I will leave him to fight that battle on his own.

In closing, no hard feelings. I am on here for fun and good banter and get and provide information, as I am sure you are based on your post, I will however hold you to the same standard that I hold myself. If I say something unbelievable or arrogant in nature, I fully expect to have to support the claim. The joke about the video was just that, a joke. I simply was joking that I did not feel it supported your claim, even though I did not question the claim. Again, just holding you to what you said.

Cheers.

seeing as this is a really popular thread, i might make a new one, it'll be called ***** fest usa.

This is GOLF review.com, not lets argue about people we dont even know.com.

You guys sound like ur three year olds, arguing about who the **** nos. Whats really embarassing is that you "grown" men are getting a lecture about maturity from a 14 year old kid. WOW.

Ok so there we have it, I must say that I did misunderstand your intent in this thread, and apologize for insulting you and your motives. I do realize that confidence is a big factor, but I also realize I can be a little arrogant sometimes. Thanks for the wakeup call.

Regards,
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    Hey PA Jayhawk you shot in the 70 inside 18 month how Im not trying to pore scorn on your achievements just asking a question did you start with lessons? Regular practice? And are you one of those annoyingly sporty people who can turn their hand to any thing athletic and get real good real quick? Lots of sports people compete in other disciplines and do really well. Robbie Fowler has had several 147 brakes and Henman plays to a 4 handicap for example.
    I started golf in June of 2000 with 5 one hour weekly lessons with 7 other people (cost $100) to learn the fundamentals and then a 1/2 hour lesson afterwards. Played 1-2 times a week and went to the range maybe 3 days a week. By September I was hooked and joined the course for the next year and got the rest of that year free. By the end of the first year I was a 20 handicap and played 4-5 days a week. When I get hooked on something I usually go all out. I was not very athletic after college in the 80's, although I played Soccer most of my life. I actually weighed about 300 lbs at the time, but lost about 70 lbs that year and have kept it off. Yeah, I know, a 300 lb soccer player, what a sight.

The following year I got down to about a 16-17 by the end of the year and shot a 79 in November. Started the next year and got down to a 15 and shot in the 70's about 8-10 more times over the course of two years. Since moving here in 2003 my golf has been all uphill. I am now a 21 and play about twice a week.

So Golf and Soccer are really the only two sports have have ever been passionate about. I no longer play soccer, the injuries did not help my golf game.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-13-2005 at 03:04 PM.

Yeah, I know. It took me 18 months before I shot in the 70's and hit the ball 290 yards for the first time, so if it took me 18 months at the age of 35 with all my experience in life, someone who is young, limber and athletic must be lieing if they did it six months sooner.
    Well, If you shot in the 70's after 18 months of playing the game, and you are capable of hitting the ball 300 yards, then why are you wasting your time on a message board? You should be working on your game non-stop, and be trying to gain a future slot on one of the Tours. If I turned in a round in the 70's that quickly, I know I would. That's a pretty obvious sign that you have a natural talent for the game, and that you should act on it.

Secondly, being 'limber' or 'athletic' doesn't mean anything unless you are fundamentally sound, and have a natural talent for the game. You'll have to excuse me if I have a hard time believing that somebody could devleope sound foundamentals and have the talent to unleash these types of scores after one 'season' of playing the game. I'd be shocked if somebody broke 100 their first season. Most golfers never break 100, and even fewer ever break 90. That right there tells you how hard the game really is.

Am I jealous? lol. What is there to be jealous of? I have made tremendous (and realistic) progress in my game for the short period of time that I've been taking it seriously. That's enough for me. I'm not insecure about anything.

This person could be that one in a million, that Tiger Woods, who picks up the club and is better than most golfers before ever taking a cut at it...but I doubt it. I believe the internet pulls more fiction out of people than fact, and I don't believe that it's any different on here. If you've hit the ball 289 yards once in your life, you suddenly hit the ball 300 yards. If you've shot an 82 once before, you suddenly shoot in the 70's. I take everything I read with a grain of salt, especially on the internet.

believe the internet pulls more fiction out of people than fact, and I don't believe that it's any different on here. If you've hit the ball 289 yards once in your life, you suddenly hit the ball 300 yards. If you've shot an 82 once before, you suddenly shoot in the 70's. I take everything I read with a grain of salt, especially on the internet.
    I guess you probably won't be around here long then. There are quite a few people on here that have shot in the 70's and can hit the ball 300 yards, yet they still waste their time on this forum. I guess if you will not trust 1/2 the people on this forum because it is all fiction in your eyes, then you probably have very little valuable information you wish to contribute, and I wouldn't need to waste my time trying to convince you differently because you must feel you are simply amongst a group of lying, cheating, thieves. So I guess you can go hide under your bed when you feel their outrageous stories caving in on your simple mind.

As far as my story, I will simply use your own quote in defense, as it is probably the only valuable thing you've said.
    I have made tremendous (and realistic) progress in my game for the short period of time that I've been taking it seriously. That's enough for me. I'm not insecure about anything.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-13-2005 at 03:20 PM.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]
    FLAME WAR

when peyton manning asked tiger how he could hit the ball further tiger said "swing harder"

i agree with tiger

tiger 4 president
    "I was with my buddy Chip, a white guy, he was drunk, i was high, we were driving around and we got pulled over for speeding. i was nervous, chip who was driving was was drunk, the car smells like weed. i was gonna loose it. chip on the other hand was calm and relaxed. he didnt even turn the radio down. if you got pulled over wouldnt you turn your radio down...[U]Unless you want to get your ass beat to a soundtrack[/U] " Dave chappelle-killing them softly

Hello again,
    Sorry to be a post whore but i am seeking more distance out of my drives. I am currently in the 270-290 range but i play with guys who consistently get 290-310yds. Can i do a different shaft head combo for my 983k or get a new driver? Would getting fitted for a driver improve anything by much? I also read that changing my 9.5 loft to a 10.5-11 would do me some justice? Sorry for all the questions guys but wanting to improve my game drives me crazy. thanks to all of you in advance.

Just about everybody here has recommend either equipment changes or lessons but there's a third factor which can improve your distance and that's improving your strength and/or flexibility. I would suggest taking some time and doing some research or golf fitness and put together a strenght and flexibility program to improve your physical condition. If you are serious about competing on the collegiate level then you will be competing against golfers that have been exposed to strength and conditioning programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    when peyton manning asked tiger how he could hit the ball further tiger said "swing harder"

i agree with tiger

tiger 4 president
    See, even Tiger is an idiot when it comes to golf, he should have said "Swing Faster"

Quote Originally Posted by kirksey74
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]
    FLAME WAR
    ...and kirksey doesn't even know how to use a DarkOrange font.

I've had about all I can take of these idiots.
    ;)

I'm a retired soccer player, used to play on an extremely competitive regional team. When I drove 200 miles on $100 worth of gas and played 7 minutes, I decided it was time to quit and play more golf.

300 lb soccer player.. Man I hope you played in the back as stopper or sweeper. There'd be nothing scarier than being covered by somebody that big on a corner kick, or trying to muscle for position when going down the sideline.

And as for the reading that post.. Shyeah, that one was a big one and took a good 15 minutes to read through everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    300 lb soccer player.. Man I hope you played in the back as stopper or sweeper. There'd be nothing scarier than being covered by somebody that big on a corner kick, or trying to muscle for position when going down the sideline.

And as for the reading that post.. Shyeah, that one was a big one and took a good 15 minutes to read through everything.
    Originally I was a goalie, and weighed about 210-220. I then played back or sweeper to get the exercise last I played. I played up to college, then quit soccer and smoking in the same week and put on 70-80 lbs in a year or so. Went back about 5 years later. You did get it right though, at that size you don't have to have a ton of speed like the forwards and strikers to keep up, just position. You just lean on them a little and nudge them and they slow way down in a hurry. Or more likely fake a fall, the ref would usually just look at them like they should just run around. I gave up soccer when I tore my calf about the same time I started golf.

I'm a retired soccer player, used to play on an extremely competitive regional team. When I drove 200 miles on $100 worth of gas and played 7 minutes, I decided it was time to quit and play more golf.
    I played through HS, very competitively since I was about 10. Army bases have very competitive traveling teams. Then Played a 1 1/2 years in college, KU didn't have a team at the time, just a privately funded club. So as a broke college student, paying for uniforms and travel and time off work got expensive, I did my share of the 200 mile stints. We did place 3rd in a tournament the year I left and then the University started funding the team the following year, unfortunately they used their own coach, so all the dedicated players from the prior year did not come back. They're not what you'd consider a powerhouse in soccer.

With the majority of their money going to basketball, it's not a surprise. I went to High School with the son of KU's ex-basketball coach. As well off as they were, I can only imagine how well the rest of the basketball facilities are.

I can name that coach in two words, its gotta be:

Ted Owens

He left the year before I started in '83, replaced by Larry Brown

Yep, that was his dad. Mr. Owens is one of the nicest men I've ever met too. Very down to Earth, never came out and told you that's what he used to do. I didn't realize it until I heard Ted Owens' name on Sportscenter that the two clicked. He could have been the HS basketball team's coach, but just wanted to watch his son play. His son was REALLY really good too. He helped take our HS team to the FHSAA Final 4 in 2000.

Makes you feel any better, his son was the Varsity Soccer's equip. manager. Funniest damn thing I ever saw. I think he drank about 1/3rd of the water just cause he was sitting there and got bored.

Golf is a weird game everone has their highs and lows. Just because someone can shoot in the 70s their first year doesnt mean they will become the next tiger woods. Just look at David Duval. I was hitting in the hig 80s after my 2nd year and i havent progressed any further , but mabe thats just me.

Lightbulb

...i play with guys who consistently get 290-310yds...
    I play a lot of golf, and I rarely play with anyone who hits those distances consistently. One that I vividly remember was a Korean PGA player who absolutely bombed it.

I think the guys that you're playing with are simply overestimating their distances. They're probably just hitting it around 270. Get a laser range finder and measure them. I bet you anything they're at least 10% shorter than they claim.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]http://grouchygolf.blogspot.com/ [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

i just got back from the range and asked a club pro to check out my distance and have found that out of 20 balls, that the farthest i nailed it was 268 and averaged about 256 so i guess i must rub the shame off myself because i thought otherwise. well i guess thats back to my daily practice and take the advice of workout training. sorry for all the ruckus guys. thanks

i just got back from the range and asked a club pro to check out my distance and have found that out of 20 balls, that the farthest i nailed it was 268 and averaged about 256 so i guess i must rub the shame off myself because i thought otherwise. well i guess thats back to my daily practice and take the advice of workout training. sorry for all the ruckus guys. thanks
    there's no shame in those distances, they're actually pretty good for ametuers like us. Pavin doesn't average too much more off the tee and he's a US open champ

Instead of distance i pride myself on being a shotmaker 100 yards and in. Chip it close, and putt it in. All the big guy drives smiles turn to frowns when their three putt bogey gets ousted by my 1 putt par

You'll have to excuse me if I have a hard time believing that somebody could devleope sound foundamentals and have the talent to unleash these types of scores after one 'season' of playing the game. I'd be shocked if somebody broke 100 their first season. Most golfers never break 100, and even fewer ever break 90. That right there tells you how hard the game really is.
    ---LONG POST---

I've been playing (and by that, I mean working on my game and touching clubs more than three times a year) for about one full year now, and I've hit a sub-90 round.

I honestly don't think golf is that hard physically...heck, there are people out there without legs playing in the 80s. What makes it a tough game for people to score well is that many people hate working on their short game and have egos that make them do things like pull drivers on every hole and shoot at sucker pins.

I like thinking, so I put some thinking into my golf game...I figure that to score well, all I need to do is keep the ball in play, and have a decent short game. To do that, all I need are three "tools." 1) I need to be able to hit one club in my bag 170-180 yards and keep it in play (in the fairway) pretty much every time. 2) I need to be able to put a shot somewhere on the green anywhere from 170 yards out and in. 3) I need to be able to two putt once I'm on the green. Doing those things create an "ideal score" for every hole...but of course there is leeway in the system. If the fairway is missed, chances are it won't be by much, so the rough/lie shouldn't be too bad and there is the chance for a decent recovery. If the green is missed, chances are it shouldn't be that much, so there's always a chance at an up and down. And of course, there's always a shot at one-putting a green.

If I can do those three things, then I should be shooting mid to high 80s at about 7000 yards, low to mid 80s at about 6500, and high 70s to low 80s from 6000 and in. I know this because I went through every scorecard I could find and "played" the ideal round according to those rules for every tee they had from 5500 yards and up (including forced carries, lay ups, everything). Then I graphed the resulting "ideal score" for each round against the yardage, got a trendline, and poof...there are my expected scores. I had over one hundred data points, and you'd be pretty surprised how well the scores match the yardages...not one data point is more than two strokes off the trendline at any point.

Well, I know I'll never get to scratch playing by these rules, but since just April (when I started) I've dropped my scoring average 6 strokes doing it (down to low 90s). I haven't had a quadruple bogey or worse in two months, and no triples in over a month. I'm averaging about 10 strokes over my expected scores...on average about a two shots a round due to three putts, another two strokes due to an OB, and the last five or six just to duffed shots (duffed chip, thin pitch, bad sand shot, whatever). All this, and I've hit maybe two medium buckets of balls in the last two months, and I've practiced my chipping and putting at most once a week. I'm not playing better...I've just been playing smarter.

I figure in a few more weeks once the travelling and whatnot calms down, I'll be ready to start working seriously on my game again. Once I start doing that, I'm going to work on my putting (my average is about 34.4 right now, I want it down to 30) and my pitching (pitching chart for 10-70 yards) first. Then, once I'm shooting mid 80s or better consistently following the rules, I'll develop a 200 yard club. After that, I'll shoot for about 220. Then maybe one that's 240 or longer. One step at a time...I really think anyone can do it if they think something out that works for them rather than just mindlessly drilling bucket after bucket at the range.

---/LONG POST---
    Last edited by WarriorPoet; 07-13-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dychen85
    Just because someone can shoot in the 70s their first year doesnt mean they will become the next tiger woods.
    Of course not, but it certainly means they have extraordinary talent, and very well could be one day.

I think this whole 'no big deal' attitude is a bit silly...actually it's a lot silly. I think too many people in this thread are oversimplifying this game, and down-playing how great of an accomplishment this really would be. I don't know where you all play, but on the courses I play, Par is usually around 72. You are telling me that it's not a big deal if some guy goes out and shoots 78 his first year playing the game? That's 6 over par! 6! That's 6 strokes off from playing a perfect round. I'm sorry, but you don't just roll out of bed, pick up a golf club, and do that.

Are we talking about shooting 78 on a Par 3 here? Putt-Putt? In that case I might believe it.

Again, people have a tendency to stretch the truth on the internet quite often, and I don't care whether or not 'PA Jayhawk' thinks I have trust issues when I say this. My intuition was apparently spot on, seeing as how the thread starter just confirmed my initial doubts.

I'll believe a guy on here who tells me that he shoots in the 70's, and hits the ball 300 yards, after he tells me that he's been playing for years, and practices all the time. I won't believe some 18 year old who has been playing for 3 months. Now, if you think it's probable that any newbie player is shooting the 70's, that's on you. And in that case, don't bother giving me any advice, because I don't believe somebody so poor at playing percentages as simple as those could be very good at the game of golf.

Hey, theres nothing wrong with 256. When I originally said 90% overestimate, that was not an overestimate, or even a shot. You are in good company. The golf channel did a 30 minute show on this a while back. They got 10 guys, asked their estimates, had them hit balls, asked what they thought they hit. Only 1 was even remotely close on his estimate, and he was still over, on the hit balls. Non were close to what they said their average was. Some were off by 50 yards on not only their average, but what they thought they hit the ball at the time.

I think alot of people just don't pay close attention. Tee boxes move closer and people go based on the hole yardage. Someone will crack one about 290, the long shots are the ones you remember, and will probably base your average on.

I would say it takes a real person to come back and say what you've said.

You are telling me that it's not a big deal if some guy goes out and shoots 78 his first year playing the game? That's 6 over par! 6! That's 6 strokes off from playing a perfect round. I'm sorry, but you don't just roll out of bed, pick up a golf club, and do that.

Are we talking about shooting 78 on a Par 3 here? Putt-Putt? In that case I might believe it.
    I think you are confusing the difference between thinking "no big deal" and insinuating "lying sack of $#!+". I didn't see anyone say it was "no big deal" only that it is was possible.
    Again, people have a tendency to stretch the truth on the internet quite often, and I don't care whether or not 'PA Jayhawk' thinks I have trust issues when I say this.
    Maybe you should take a look at where you are, you are on a golf forum. I would tend to believe it would be frequented by people that take the game of golf serious, although there are obviously some that may not. Why do I picture you being in "The Book of the Month Club" website saying that "No one could possibly read 20 books a week, do you know how many iliterates are in this world that can't read"
    My intuition was apparently spot on, seeing as how the thread starter just confirmed my initial doubts.
    I would agree that he confirmed one of you're many intuitions, about distance. I tend to believe that the fact he even came back to the forum completely blew your other ones out of the water. I would tend to believe even more in his credibility about his score as well as his sincerity on "overestimating" distance (overestimating, not "lying about", there is a big difference), due to his actions in the face of adversity.

You obviously still believe that there are a lot of liars on the internet, and this only confirms that in your mind. Although he confirmed your intuition about overestimating his distance, he completely put to shame your intuition about his character. I shudder to think which one you find to be of more value.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-14-2005 at 06:10 AM.

Thread Information