|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shorter Shaft for my Driver (42inches)?

My buddy says don't do it. Yet I've read on some websites like drbirdie.com or the makers of the Perfect Club, that a shorter 42 or 43 inch shaft is best. I know that a longer shaft provides more speed but hell, even Tiger Woods uses 43.5 inches.

I am looking for more consistency that's all. I stand 5'7" and my stock 46" just feels so tall.

So what do ya'll think????

Yes, but Tiger Woods swings at 120 mph, I'm not certain but I don't think you do.

Shorten it to 45" maybe, even 44", but don't put it to 43", thats too short.

Or do whatever you want, what the hell do I know.

Tiger's driver is now standing at 45.5" from published reports. When he used to hit a steel driver it was 43.5", but a steel one at the current graphite length would make it too heavy.

In Golf Magazine it wrote that his new graphite shaft (Mitsu Diamana) is almost 40 grams lighter then his older steel shafted one.

I'm in the same boat as you, I stand 5'7". My driver's length is 45" and I hit it fairly well. I do end up choking down on it maybe 1/2" to 3/4".

46" does seem kind of long, are you hitting an Adams Redline? I've heard that they come in 46" that are a pain to hit, even for taller golfers.

If you do end up getting your club shortened, take it to a club fitter so they can do it for you and add additional weight, since your club will have a reduced swingweight afterwards.

Yes TM you're exactly right. Adams Redline 460cc driver.

it sucks being short Thanks for the tip!!

It also depends on your home course. If it is a shorter course that requires skill off the tee and well placed balls, perhaps it is a good idea. If you play on a long linky kind, where the rough is a half inch high, and its actually easier to hit the fairway than the rough, than maybe you should reconsider.

I am 6´2" but hit my 45.25" driver so bad I am also considering shortening the shaft...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]
    NIKE Ignite 460, Grafalloy Blue, Lucky 13*
    CLEVELAND Launcher, Grafalloy ProLite, 17*
    NIKE CPR Woods, UST Mid Kick, 22* + 26*
    NIKE Slingshots, True Temper, 5 - PW + SW
    CLEVELAND 900 Tour Action Gun Metal, 60*
    SCOTTY CAMERON Red X2, 35"
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Im 5'9 and went from a 45'5" driver to one with 44'5" and its made a huge difference id rarely feel really comfortable with the longer shaft I always felt that I needed to stand very tall with little flex in my knees or waist or if I set up normally the toe was in the air. With the shorter shaft I feel much more natural when taking my stance. I did lose distance from my very best shots but gained considerable consistency so length on average increased as im hitting out of the middle of the face more often

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider
    I am 6�2" but hit my 45.25" driver so bad I am also considering shortening the shaft...
    If you're playing the driver in your sig i know how you feel. I couldn't hit my ignite for anything...

but it looks to me like that stock shaft just aint working. I upgraded to a Graffaloy Blue and my drives are long and straight and i can fade them when i want to...

go to some shops and demo some drivers using different shafts and see if that's your issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho_D/FW
    My buddy says don't do it. Yet I've read on some websites like drbirdie.com or the makers of the Perfect Club, that a shorter 42 or 43 inch shaft is best. I know that a longer shaft provides more speed but hell, even Tiger Woods uses 43.5 inches.

I am looking for more consistency that's all. I stand 5'7" and my stock 46" just feels so tall.

So what do ya'll think????
    This is easy enough to do, just remove the grip, and shorten the shaft, and regrip. If you don't like it, then your out a $30 shaft, no big deal. I would recommend taking 1.5"-2" off the first time, and see if you like.

I would say that your shaft is a bit too long for you by the way. People tend to start with shorter shafts and move to longer ones once they've mastered them, and desire more length.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheenomz
    If you're playing the driver in your sig i know how you feel. I couldn't hit my ignite for anything...

but it looks to me like that stock shaft just aint working. I upgraded to a Graffaloy Blue and my drives are long and straight and i can fade them when i want to...

go to some shops and demo some drivers using different shafts and see if that's your issue...
    I had Graffaloy Blue on my Launcher, and I did prefer the feeling, not that I hit it well, but was getting better, the Fujikura standard is too soft...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]

I have been testing holding up and down the grip of my 45.25" Ignite driver, anf it feels "right" down 1.25" or a little more, I cannot play at the moment, hurt my ribs...

Down 1.25" will be 44" length, the same a fitting done on the net recomends for me, given my measurements, I think I will try cutting this much...

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]

Done, my driver is 44" now, shame I cannot test it until my ribs heal...

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]

I have my driver shorten from 47" to 44", there is no obvious distance lost. I had one of older and small-head driver reshaft from 50" to 42", no more than 10 yards difference.

From time to time, swing changes, I started with longer shaft and easy swings; Now like the compact and 3/4 swing for more control. Same goes to my hybrids and woods, I have had 43-44" 2/3 wood/hybrid going down to 41.5-42", no distance lost. Sometimes gaining distance because I can fully smack them after shortening. But for regular woods, the lie angle might be drastically different, the setup, even the swing could be changed completely. Normally, the club maker wouldn't want to bend the lie angle on woods, even the hybrid.

Club makers have club extension, once you cut the butt end to 42 and feel like you miss too much, you can have someone use the club extension at the butt end to bring it back say 43.5, you won't feel any difference when you grip and rip it.

Quote Originally Posted by golf-addict
    I have my driver shorten from 47" to 44", there is no obvious distance lost. I had one of older and small-head driver reshaft from 50" to 42", no more than 10 yards difference.

From time to time, swing changes, I started with longer shaft and easy swings; Now like the compact and 3/4 swing for more control. Same goes to my hybrids and woods, I have had 43-44" 2/3 wood/hybrid going down to 41.5-42", no distance lost. Sometimes gaining distance because I can fully smack them after shortening. But for regular woods, the lie angle might be drastically different, the setup, even the swing could be changed completely. Normally, the club maker wouldn't want to bend the lie angle on woods, even the hybrid.

Club makers have club extension, once you cut the butt end to 42 and feel like you miss too much, you can have someone use the club extension at the butt end to bring it back say 43.5, you won't feel any difference when you grip and rip it.
    Come on now! Lie angle doesn't affect your shots! What are you talking about??? Adjusting lie angle is just one of those uneccessary adjustments club fitters try and sell you to make more money! Ha, ha ,ha! Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone that properly fitted equipment will improve their game, they'll get made at you!

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    Come on now! Lie angle doesn't affect your shots! What are you talking about??? Adjusting lie angle is just one of those uneccessary adjustments club fitters try and sell you to make more money! Ha, ha ,ha! Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone that properly fitted equipment will improve their game, they'll get made at you!
    You are kidding, right...

At least with irons, if the lie/length is not right for you, the club wont sit properly, it will have toe or heel up, I am sure that will affect play...

With my old used irons I increased length, easier to do, this time I increased lie, shorter clubs are easier to hit...

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    I am sure if you are good enough, you would know whether you like the club sits toe up or flat, you could adjust yourself those few degrees to accomondate any clubs and hit them flush. For most of hackers like me, can't even hit consistently on a set angle, not to mention fiddle with the angle variations on the fly. Now when I think about it, it might be a bigger variation than ball position for those who prefer to hit the ball angled because it's harder to reference; If you like to hit the ball with the head parallel to the ground, might not be an issue. For the large size driver, the variation may not be noticable; for 2 or 3 wood/hybird, +/- 2" certainly require setup adjustment if not the lie angle changes

The driver is almost impossible to set flat, even after cutting a bit off, but it might not matter as much, as it is played from tees...

As for the irons, I did the test with a sticker on the club and a black board on the ground, and even though I did my best to set it flat, when I hit the ball, the sticker was marked towards the toe, wich meant I needed a bit more upright lie...

I dont know for sure the difference it will actually make, I have seen short players setting the clubs on their heels and playing much better then me, but I guess everything helps if you can do it the right way...

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]

Thread Information