|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Glad to have found this place......

Hey gang - I just started playing in August of 2004 and am so addicted, it's not even funny. Shot a 91 about a month ago and thats my best....consistently shooting 95-97 and am playing about 1-2 times per week. I'm a former tennis and baseball player so i am confident that both sports are helping me with my swing as well as hand-eye coordination....any suggestions on what part of my game to work on most to lower my scores? I have taken a couple of lessons but made the mistake of taking them at a golf store (indoors)....once i got to the range, it was tough to apply something that i hadnt actually done before (outside).......here is what i have in my bag now....have tweaked a bit on my equipment (im a bit OCD when it comes to equipment - the mental part of this game is huge)...

- Ping G2 8.5 degree - (i tee it low as well and still get great loft)
    - Taylor Made V-Steel 3 and 5 Wood
    - Ping G2 Irons - 56 degree and 60 degree wedges
    - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter (had a Craz-E and a 2-ball tour-filled and the Cameron blows both out of the water, IMO)

Initial suggestions?

putting putting putting putting putting putting. cant stress that enough. what good is it to be on in two on a par four if you cant convert? practice everything about it. If your home course has a puting green, see if you can open up at least three hours and grab a couple balls. practice the 5-7 footers more than anything else, these are generally the par putts. do this as often as possible and i guarantee you will be down to the 80s. good luck!

Thanks for the reply...definitely focused more on putting than anything else...Went to my home course this afternoon and booked 4 sessions with the pro....first one is Tuesday afternoon....thx again.

Welcome Aboard.

I recommend practicing 50 yards and in its still what I practice the most.I almost never practice driving or longer clubs unless I want to learn a new shot with them. If I work on my full swing I basically use either 5,6,or 7i thats it. But love to chip and put around for hours when I have the chance. Find A buddy and make up holes around the practice green. CHip and put c who wins. Play for quarters or something its alot of fun and great for the game. Also I like to get at least one lesson a year(from the same guy knows my swing well) it keeps me on track went twice this year as I needed some extra guidence.lol

Good luck hope to c u break 90 by the end of the summer.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome aboard. Practicing the game from 125 yards in is where you can make the most dramatic and quickest improvements in your score. I applaud your decision to get some lessons.
    Near where I live there is a great driving range that has multiple "greens" with pins, and four of them are always about 75-135 yards, at varying distances from day to day. By working on those shots repeatedly in a variety of wind conditions I've developed a whole lot more skill and confidence in my short iron and wedge game. Consequently, I'm making a LOT more pars and the occasional birdie, too.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thanks, folks...
    Took my first "real" lesson today on the range at Heron Ridge. Very enlightening.

- found that I was holding the butt of each club in my left hand (noticed severe wear on lower right palm of left hand). Got my grip straightened out which immed helped my control (fixed)
    - was pulling my left heel off the ground during backswing causing instability and lack of control during swing (fixed)
    - wasn't completely following through to finish swing which was causing me to slow my swing and try to compensate by swinging harder during backswing (fixed)
    - was aligning ball just to the left of center with irons which was causing inconsistencies like topping the ball. Moved back to right of center and the divots began to fly (fixed)
    - wasn't breaking pivot point during driver swing consistently (fixed but need to be conscious of it)
    - was holding grip with right hand entirely too tight. Had me hit 20 balls with only my right ring and middle finger on the club. Straight as an arrow 20 times in a row. (Fixed)
    - he told me that if wasn't an 8-10 handicap by the end of next summer he would be very surprised. Said I should be consistently breaking 90 by end of this summer.

While putting and your short game are important. I'd say for me it was always driving that kept my scores high. 4-6 lost balls per round are easily 8-12 uneeded strokes. When I got my lost balls down to 1 or 2 I was consistently shooting in the 80's and now I almost never have lost balls and am consistently in the 70's. Unless, of course, you don't count lost balls as penalty stroke and distance like many new players I see. If you do count them they can really add up. If you don't lose balls then you're really ahead of the game!

when I was reading the thread it seemed just like me. I played baseball and tennis and then i started golf and thought the same things, I also am about shoot the same scores on a good day. In my experience chipping came last.

You're on the right track.

One piece of advise I'd give ya is to not take any advice hahahaha. For everybody that says work on putting, if ya can't putt getting there in 2 is a waste; somebody else will say work on your drives, if ya lose 4-6 balls a round there's no way to putt your way to a good score.

Work on the whole game. Build a solid repeatable full swing. Then chip. Putt. Work on your fairway woods. Do some 50-yd pitches, bunkers, etc etc.

Be one with the range.;)

Don't try to beat yourself up too much. With your background in sports, you would get it sooner than most of folks. Golf is a life long pursue of perfection, joy and possibly a good addiction. I got 88, 89 at the end of the first year. but another 3 years, going back up now even when I strike the ball better on irons and wedges. Driver sometimes gives me some side kicks, I'd tee off with 3 wood the rest of the way. But the putt, still can't handle them right

Quote Originally Posted by rhinogolfer
    You're on the right track.

One piece of advise I'd give ya is to not take any advice hahahaha. For everybody that says work on putting, if ya can't putt getting there in 2 is a waste; somebody else will say work on your drives, if ya lose 4-6 balls a round there's no way to putt your way to a good score.

Work on the whole game. Build a solid repeatable full swing. Then chip. Putt. Work on your fairway woods. Do some 50-yd pitches, bunkers, etc etc.

Be one with the range.;)
    Hey wait a minute, I didn't knock putting! I just said don't lose balls and it's really hard to lose a ball while chipping or putting.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    ... and it's really hard to lose a ball while chipping or putting.
    Trust me, it can be done, I speak from experience. I can think of one hole in general that ate a few of mine when I started out. Man, is it ever embarrassing.

Nothing like clearing water to reach a green that slopes to the front, only to putt or chip it back into the water.

put that driver in your closet and don't take it out for at least a year, there is no need. If you average good drives a round and improve 100%, you may save 4 strokes on your score. Most shots during a round come from 150yrds and IN. If you have a 100% improvement on these shots, your scores will improve dramatically. Tee off with your three wood or an iron and practice your mide/short irons and putting/chipping. you will enjoy the game a lot more. The driver will only frustrate you as you learn the game.

I saw an article in golf magazine that said more people give up the game of golf each year than those that take it up. They say it is because a lot of people want to BOMB thier drives and can't early on. they constantly hit the ball OB nad get frustrated.

drive for show and put for dough. youll have a great time and get hooked on the game.

Thread Information