|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Driver Slice

Driver Slice

Here is my problem I slice my driver, but the hting is that all of my other clubs I hit dead straight or with a slight fade so why aam I haveing such a problem with the driver?

because of the size of the driver, it is easy to swing it fast and leave your hips/should open. Swing the club slow and concentrate of closing your shoulders, youll hit it straight.

Quote Originally Posted by hull30
    Here is my problem I slice my driver, but the hting is that all of my other clubs I hit dead straight or with a slight fade so why aam I haveing such a problem with the driver?
    I could be the shaft tho too... maybe ur swing speed isn't high enough to get a good whip to it.

The driver is the Longest club with the least loft therefore its the hardest club to hit. A swing flaw that causes a slight fade in your 3 iron can produce a big slice from your driver. The most likely flaw is bringing the club out to in. One drill I can think of that helps to combat this is to tie a piece of string at waist height level with your ball running along the line of the target. Then swing away if you hit the string your coming from out to in. Once you dont hit the string your slice should disappear.

thats kinda crafty where do u learn things like that?

I'm having a rough time visualizing that. Could you explain what that exactly looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    The driver is the Longest club with the least loft therefore its the hardest club to hit. A swing flaw that causes a slight fade in your 3 iron can produce a big slice from your driver. The most likely flaw is bringing the club out to in. One drill I can think of that helps to combat this is to tie a piece of string at waist height level with your ball running along the line of the target. Then swing away if you hit the string your coming from out to in. Once you dont hit the string your slice should disappear.
    Not if he leaves the clubface open it won't! Remember a slice is caused by an open clubface in relation to your path. We need to know what type of slice he has before we can diagnose the problem. What direction does the ball take off in? Down the target line, left of target or right of target?

Well SDB1 your right but he said he sliced not that he push sliced and I was directing my advice at by far the most common course of a slice an out to in swing path. If he has a push slice the drill I described wont help. I overstated it saying it will disappear once the drill is second nature but getting the feeling of going from in to in will have dramatic effects on most slices.
    For Mward heres a little picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    The driver is the Longest club with the least loft therefore its the hardest club to hit. A swing flaw that causes a slight fade in your 3 iron can produce a big slice from your driver. The most likely flaw is bringing the club out to in.
    Just supporting my first thought, which is this. ^^^

You also didn't mention the loft of your driver. If it is less than 10*, I would look into a more lofted driver. I saw talk of slice, not push slice. If it is a slice that starts straight, then slices, that is a 3rd type, in which you may not be releasing. If that is the case, concentrate on finishing with your left palm facing the sky.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-21-2005 at 04:06 AM.

For those million causes of slice:
    1 is obvious, outside in downswing (inside out around impact ending up open the club face when compensating the downswing flaws). I 'd see more top players practice with 1 or 2 shafts parallel to the target, ball either outside or inside of one of shafts depending on which flaw you want to fix

2 fail to close the club face at impact (most of us can't feel the face at impact); Tiger's call is flat wrist at top and million other drills to enhance the feel

Keep practicing, but it will go up and down, even with ever changing greatest and latest drivers (I actually tend to slice when tee high, not sure why).

Just start to pull out driver if the day feels right, keep it in bag otherwise: use 3w or 5w to tee off when driver starts to stray, eat your ego and will gain more than lost. ON a good day, the driver only goes to the direction I want at about 75% of time, but on a bad day, the 3w or 5w would give me the direction 90% of time. Honestly, the difference in average distance might be less than 15 yards (30 yards best to best), but it would take out about handful out-of-bound penalties in a round, huge difference

Ahh, alright that makes sense now. Appreciate it

Thread Information