|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Iron hitting problem...

Hi.
    I am a decent player, I shoot in the low 90s, and drive the ball pretty well. But it's my irons that seem to be a real problem for me right now. I hit them straight and well most of the time, but seem to always end up at least 10-20 yds short of where I think I am landing them. I think I'm getting to far under the ball, or there's something I'm doing in my swing to accentuate an upward shot that ends up not carrying the distance I want the ball to go. It's gotten kind of frustrating, cause alot of the time I'm dialed into the green, hit a shot that looks like it's gonna sit by the flag, but then it ends up well short...
    any advice, thoughts on how I might rectify this problem? Thanks!

Take more club?

Are the shots that are coming up short good crisp shots, or are you hitting them"fat" or off center? If you are hitting them crisply, but they are missing short, it is just a matter of "calibrating" your irons. Go to a driving range with markers at least every 50 yards and find out the average distance of a well struck shot for each club. Then find out as closely as possible how far each iron shot is to the pin. Most courses have yardage markers here and there, or you can use a laser rangefinder if necessary.
    On the other hand, if you are selecting the correct club for the distance but hitting it fat or off center, then you either need technical instruction or must try to control the emotions that can overact and cause a poor shot. The emotional control is one of the biggest challenges I face. It is so easy to overswing when that green and pin look so inviting. If this is the problem, try slowing down the backswing and slow down the initiation of the downswing to insure a smooth stroke.
    If neither of these are your problem, have a trusted, experienced player watch you when you hit good shots and bad shots, and they may be able to enlighten you on what you are doing wrong. Professional instruction is even better. It's the best deal in the long run.

Don't assume that every shot will be perfect

You need to determine which club you will hit based on your average shot with that particular club. A lot of players think they will always hit their best shot with any given club, but in reality they only hit their best shot maybe 2 out of 10 times, or less. If you've hit your 7-iron 165 yards before, but usually hit it 150, then use your 7-iron from 150. You'll be a lot more consistent that way.

It's always the ego that gets in the way in golf. "Well so-and-so just hit a 6 iron, so I'm going to hit a 6 too" will get you in trouble every time. Hit the club that will give you the proper distance, whatever the number, and you'll be a LOT better in the long run. After all the number on the club is just a number. Sitting on the green with a 6 iron is a lot better than 20 yards short with a 7 iron.
    It never hurts any less, you just go faster. - Greg Lemond

Thread Information