|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Ball suggestions

As usual, the ball I prefer has been discontinued and I am now in search of a new balls. Over the years I have regularly played:

Titleist HP Tour
    Titleist Professional
    Taylor Made Inergel Pro
    Strata Tour Professional
    Precept Extra Spin

I have a few dozen of the Precepts left, but am finding them harder and harder to find, and they won't last more than another few months. I would like to find another ball that is comparable to any of the balls above. I have tried the Pro V1 and the Maxfli Revolutions, but they are WAY too soft, and spin WAY too much, for my taste. Obviously I like a Professional-type ball, but I prefer something that's a little harder.

I am a single digit handicap and hit the ball REALLY high. There are several balls out there that claim they are low trajectory, but that seems like more marketing hype than anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been thinking of maybe the Precept UTri Tour or maybe one of the Maxfli balls. For whatever reason, I can't bring myself to play anything marked Top Flite or Srixon or is an "off brand". Any suggestions are appreciated.

Do they even make the Titleist professional anymore? I prefer the Titleist ProV1(no "x") and you don't mention that one. It took the Professionals place didn't it? The ProV1x is supposed to be a lower trajectory.

Here's a suggestion that might surprise you. I typically play the ProV1, and last year when I won my club championship, Precept sent me two sleeves of balls as a "gift", to try out. One sleeve of U-Tri Extra Spins, and one sleeve of U-Tri Extra Distance. To my surprise the Extra Distance balls were GREAT! I figured I would like the Extra Spin balls better, but that was not the case. The Extra Distance balls had a better feel - solid without being too hard, but still gave you that good feedback when you pured it, like it was splatting on the face. Trajectory seemed normal, not too high, and while they didn't spin as much as a ProV1, they spun enough to make the ball sit pretty much when it landed on any shot with a 7-iron or under. Plus it is a really good looking ball too - nice looking dimple pattern, not too much lettering, etc. Supposedly this is the same ball as the Nike TA2-LNG, which is played by several Senior Tour players and a few Tour players. I'd highly recommend it based on what you say you're looking for.

Some additional thoughts... Srixon actually does make really high quality balls, and one you might like is the relatively new Srixon UR-X. It's supposed to be like the ProV1, but I thought it played a bit harder, and didn't spin nearly as much. That may be what you're looking for. The Srixon Hi-Brid Tour for example is one of the best feeling balls (to me) I've ever played. It is buttery soft, has a low piercing trajectory, and it spins like crazy - even a bit much for me. However, for some reason I never liked putting with that ball - even though it feels soft with full and half-shots, it has a strange bouncy feel off the putter that just didn't work for me. By the way, the best-feeling putting ball I've ever found was the Maxfli A10 - it had a soft but solid feel off the putter face that made you feel like you could go ahead and putt the ball firmly - I've had some of my best putting rounds with that ball. Haven't tried any of the M3 series balls - seems like I haven't heard much good about them. As an aside, I personally will never play Srixon balls again though. I made a hole-in-one (my first) last year playing with a Srixon Hi-Brid Tour ball, and sent them an email thru their website, and never got a response. Compare that to my daughter, who made a hole-in-one on 9/11 (THE 9/11) with a Precept Lady - I sent them an email and not only did they send her a really nice certificate with all the details of her feat memorialized, but they also sent her a dozen new Precept Lady balls - that was really nice of them.

Thanks for the replies so far - keep them coming

I'll give all the balls everyone has suggested a try.

The ProV1 series has never worked out for me. They are obviously very good balls, but for some reason I just don't like them. I guess they just feel like marshmellows when I hit them, esp. on or around the greens. They perform just fine, but I can't get used to that super soft feel.

If I had to choose my favorite from the balls I initially listed, it would be the plain Strata Professional in the gold box. For some reason, it worked perfectly for me. Maybe it's because I was playing it when my handicap dropped from a 14 or so into the single digits, but it was always good. It putted perfectly and had just the right feel. I think I have maybe 1 sleeve left which I'm saving for a special day. If I could find them, I'd buy them all and stick them in the top of my closet and guard them with my life :-) Even the other Strata's, like the Tour Ultimates never felt just right. It's kind of odd what everyone gravitates too.

I think I'm going to have to take my putter to the golf shop and putt with every ball in the place to find the one I like. That has seemed to be the method that has worked the best for me in this situation. I'll start with what everyone has suggested. It's always good to get some outside opinions when you don't know where to start.

Thread Information