|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I'm telling you.....Practice Nets Rule!

I posted this once before, but that was before I could post results (pun intented).

Several months ago I started wacking balls into a net I had bought last year for my Son's Lilttle League team. I wore that one out, and bought a replacement on Ebay, and that lasted a day. I then replaced it with this one:

http://www.shop-safely.com/shops.asp...93&pid=PROCAGE

Handicap is currently 9.9 as we speak. (was a 13.2)
    Yesterday I hit 12 fairways includding every fairway on the back nine.
    I play a fade, but I learned to hit a draw with my driver when desired. Yes, believe or not I developed a draw hitting into a net. If anyones' interested, I'd be glad to explain how I did it.
    I had never broke 80 in my life on a par 72 course, I've now done it twice; 76 and today a 77.

You will not develop bad habits hitting into a net....unless you use a matt. I hit off the grass, and yes I tear my backyard up a bit...so what. I've devloped a very relaxed trustworthy swing. Haven't added any length to my game, just a much, much more trustworthy swing with a lot less effort.

My goal is to be a 5! My friends thought I was smoking crack....not any more.

Congratulations! I've been working for several years to gradually lower my handicap. I had hit a plateau averaging in the high 80's to low 90's until I took a couple clusters of lessons. Now with the lessons and a lot of practicing GOOD habits (instead of grinding in the bad habits) my index is coming down, too. This year is the first year I've broken 80, and now I've done it multiple times and had my lowest round ever today of 78 on a par 72, slope 124, ~6300 yard course. My index has dropped from the mid-high teens to just over 10 now.
    I don't have a net, but I've spent a lot of time with very focused practicing emphasizing approach shots of 65-130 yards at my favorite driving range. That, plus some very helpful tips on the short greenside game have made a huge difference in the number of pars/round I'm able to get.
    Learn the proper technique, then practice, practice, and practice some more if you want to improve.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Congratulations! I've been working for several years to gradually lower my handicap. I had hit a plateau averaging in the high 80's to low 90's until I took a couple clusters of lessons. Now with the lessons and a lot of practicing GOOD habits (instead of grinding in the bad habits) my index is coming down, too. This year is the first year I've broken 80, and now I've done it multiple times and had my lowest round ever today of 78 on a par 72, slope 124, ~6300 yard course. My index has dropped from the mid-high teens to just over 10 now.
    I don't have a net, but I've spent a lot of time with very focused practicing emphasizing approach shots of 65-130 yards at my favorite driving range. That, plus some very helpful tips on the short greenside game have made a huge difference in the number of pars/round I'm able to get.
    Learn the proper technique, then practice, practice, and practice some more if you want to improve.

Jeez, not the "You have to take lessons" rehtoric again! I'm tired of this old (WRONG) arguement. I'm going to bed!

Quote Originally Posted by wwjdwithca
    Jeez, not the "You have to take lessons" rehtoric again! I'm tired of this old (WRONG) arguement. I'm going to bed!
    The vast majority of golfers out there can and would benefit from lessons. A minority does not seem to need them.
    I heard someone say, "School is for those people who aren't bright enough to make a living without it." Probably most of us know or know about some self-made man who became a success after dropping out of high school. We probably know a lot more people who dropped out of high school who have low paying and/or unpleasant jobs.
    The same applies to golf lessons, I think. If you can get to the level you want without lessons, do so. If you can't (like me, and probably the majority of people) then take some lessons and enjoy the results down the road.

I never believed in lessons finnally took one when I had trouble breaking 85 and It did wonders I learned so much about my particular swing and the problem area's that I can diagnose it and fix it much better. And I still go for a check up every season or if I want to change something it helps to work with a pro.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lessons arent always the key. Loren Roberts in a recent issue of Golf Magazine said that with what he knows now he wished he can give the money back to those who took lessons from him when he was a teaching professional. There you have it, lessons do not work if you dont get a good teacher. Learn as much about the proper golf swing as you can.

Understanding the proper golf swing is the key. However many of us practice and ingrain bad habits. Teaching professionals can help. Practice nets can ingrain bad habits. How do you know what the ball flight is?

Quote Originally Posted by horstmc
    Understanding the proper golf swing is the key. However many of us practice and ingrain bad habits. Teaching professionals can help. Practice nets can ingrain bad habits. How do you know what the ball flight is?
    False! Ever met anybody who actually learned bad habits hitting into a net......off of grass?

The vast majority of golfers out there can and would benefit from lessons. A minority does not seem to need them.
    I heard someone say, "School is for those people who aren't bright enough to make a living without it." Probably most of us know or know about some self-made man who became a success after dropping out of high school. We probably know a lot more people who dropped out of high school who have low paying and/or unpleasant jobs.
    The same applies to golf lessons, I think. If you can get to the level you want without lessons, do so. If you can't (like me, and probably the majority of people) then take some lessons and enjoy the results down the road.
    OK, that sure sounds good, but....

Vijay Singh (self-taught)
    Retief Goosen (self-taught)
    John Daly (self-taught)

7 Majors. Name ANY three current players without Tiger that adds up to 7 majors.

Three months ago, I was a 13 as well as one of my golf buddies. He took lessons while I went to the net. He's now a 14, and I'm a 10. His Coach told him there "Wasn't a good thing right about his swing." He's now fired his coach, and is back to ground zero. Nice.

Actually, I don't have anything against lessons. But just don't tell me you HAVE to take lessons to be a player. It's just NOT TRUE!

Lessons have their ups and downs. If you've got a serious fundamental problem, you probably need to have a pro look at it. However if it's something that just needs practice, just take the time to hammer it out. Now if you just have no idea how to do it.. Go see a pro, read up on it, AND practice it.. Reading greens is probably a good example for that.

net shopping

OK, thanks, i'll be "casting a wide net" and see for my self.

OK, that sure sounds good, but....

John Daly (self-taught)

7 Majors. Name ANY three current players without Tiger that adds up to 7 majors.

Three months ago, I was a 13 as well as one of my golf buddies. He took lessons while I went to the net. He's now a 14, and I'm a 10. His Coach told him there "Wasn't a good thing right about his swing." He's now fired his coach, and is back to ground zero. Nice.

Actually, I don't have anything against lessons. But just don't tell me you HAVE to take lessons to be a player. It's just NOT TRUE!
    I think this controversy can easily supplant "club covers vs. no club covers" and "cast vs. forged" as a source of endless friendly disagreement!

Not everyone needs lessons to play a good game. I'm completely self-taught and carry a scratch handicap, and I know many others who are low-mid handicaps that are as well. That being said, the vast majority of golfers would benefit from a GOOD teaching professional.

I would especially recommend people just beginning the game to take a couple of lessons they're first year (or first year of serious playing) to get a good solid foundation. Afterwards try and figure it out on your own, alot if not all of this game can be learned w/ out a teaching pro. This is especially true if you are resourceful in getting information (Golf Channel, internet, books) and if your at least somewhat athletically inclined (good hand-eye coordination, balance, etc.)

If you find yourself hitting a roadblock in your game and cant figure it out on your own, then by all means take a couple more lessons to get to the next level. I myself am seriously considering going to a golf pro for the 1st time to get my game/swing evaluated and try to take my game to the next level.

John Daly (self-taught)

I think this controversy can easily supplant "club covers vs. no club covers" and "cast vs. forged" as a source of endless friendly disagreement!
    I'll start
    I would dispute this logic because Vijay Singh's father was a part time golf instructor, and he did seek instruction with Dave Pelz prior to winning majors. So self taught only goes so far in this topic. Unless you would say he learned nothing from his father (his mentor) and that he realized that instruction is important in his later years.

Then again, to play the game
    Ernie Els
    Jose Maria Olazabal
    Lee Janzen

7 I believe

Nick Faldo was 6 years older and had 6, but that could have made 11 taking away Olazabal, or Janzen in his place
    Although it would probably be easy enough to argue they were self taught as well.

In all honesty, Tiger was self taught in the same sense as the rest of these.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-26-2005 at 06:03 AM.

I find its best to go into a lesson with a precise Idea of what u want to work on and say hey help me do this or that. Its ur money u control it. I work with a guy who has the whole video set up. And it really helps me to work with him and be able to see exactly what he is talking about and what I am doing and trying to do. But I decide what i want to work on and what direction i am moving in. He just helps me to get there much faster than I would by myself.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was actually looking for something like this and about to post a question regarding the net. Thanks though. Was wondering if something like this would actually help. Again, thanks.

The balls won't go through the tiny holes? I have a huge back yard and plenty of grass to chop up. Would be nice.

e

Practice nets can help a good deal in grooving your swing, you just have to be careful with what it is that your grooving. If you already have a relatively repeatable swing nets can will shorten the time needed to completely groove your swing.

You also want to have a set of clubs that allow you to FEEL where your hitting the ball on the clubface. They dont have to be forged blades by any means (I still hit Armour 845's), but you need to be able to tell whether your catching it thin/toe/heel. Impact tape or just regular tape on the clubface is a solid investment for this as well.

armor 845's are one of the best deals going for irons these days. They are high quality and are selling pretty cheaply even new. My brother is a beginner and my dad and I picked them out for him as they offer some help but still have small club head and do provide plenty of feedback. He still complains about playing the back tee's though.LOL. We tell him he doesn't have to but he feels shamed to tee off infront of us.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    I'll start
    I would dispute this logic because Vijay Singh's father was a part time golf instructor, and he did seek instruction with Dave Pelz prior to winning majors. So self taught only goes so far in this topic. Unless you would say he learned nothing from his father (his mentor) and that he realized that instruction is important in his later years.

Then again, to play the game
    Ernie Els
    Jose Maria Olazabal
    Lee Janzen

7 I believe

Nick Faldo was 6 years older and had 6, but that could have made 11 taking away Olazabal, or Janzen in his place
    Although it would probably be easy enough to argue they were self taught as well.

In all honesty, Tiger was self taught in the same sense as the rest of these.

ViJay says he was self taught, as well as Daly, and Goosen. If someone says he was self-taught, we have to give him that one....agreed????

Tiger was taking lessons when he was 5. He had personal instructor that worked with him several hours every week when he was like 10. He's had full-time instructor since he was 17 or 18. Tiger might be the most instructed player in the history of the game!

As far as your three players, I said current players! Jose Maria is current? How about Langer, or Price and Norman. How about Tom Watson, he made the cut at the Open, and won the Senior British. How about Jack Nicklaus, he laced them up several times this year.

As far as your three players, I said current players! Jose Maria is current? How about Langer, or Price and Norman. How about Tom Watson, he made the cut at the Open, and won the Senior British. How about Jack Nicklaus, he laced them up several times this year.
    I would still consider Jose Maria current, considering he did finish 3rd in the Open and played in the final group w/ Woods. He also has 4 Top 10's this year, and is 23rd on the money list. I'd say that's still current, wouldn't you??

ViJay says he was self taught, as well as Daly, and Goosen. If someone says he was self-taught, we have to give him that one....agreed????

Tiger was taking lessons when he was 5. He had personal instructor that worked with him several hours every week when he was like 10. He's had full-time instructor since he was 17 or 18. Tiger might be the most instructed player in the history of the game!

This point is really an obsession with you, isn't it??!! "To each his own". We all have different learning styles. Some people can learn by reading, some experiment on their own. Some can learn by watching others, others benefit from one-on-one coaching. Do whatever works for you, but please don't generalize that everybody needs to learn the same way, and that some methods of teaching are inherently superior to others. I learn best from a coach. Others do it another way. I'm not stupid. Neither are you. Live and let live........

Again, it is all a matter of interpretation. His father is a part-time golf instructor, he says his father is his mentor when it comes to golf, he has taken classes with Dave Pelz, so no, I wouldn't agree, but then again, I'm not questioning his credibility in doing so. Just saying that if someone who makes a living teaching golf teaches you certain fundamentals and aspects of the game, then in my book that is instruction. So it goes back to my original comment "Unless you would say he learned nothing from his father (his mentor) and that he realized that instruction is important in his later years." Do you not agree that if your father is an instructor and teaches you aspects of the game, that is no different than being taught by an instructor. I'm sure under certain circumstances that I would consider him self taught, but the point was what Dorkman was leading to, if you are going to use it to support a claim, it will be open dissagreement and in my book it is not something that I would used to support my claim based on the circumstances. I only stated his father was an instructor and he also sought instruction from teaching professionals in the game, I simply left it open for others to form their own opinion.

As far as Jose Maria Olazabal, the guy is 3 years younger than Vijay Singh, and not even 40, he plays in weekly tournaments, so I would consider him current. Hence the reason I mentioned Nick Faldo. Myself, I would still consider him current although I realize many may not. Again just a matter of interpretation, but I didn't bring up the game, just chose to play in it.

edit 1 - And actually Bernhard Langer was on my list, but I only got 3 choices. He has played is as many events as Daly, more than Goosen and is only 3 spots behind Daly in Money, but seeing as how he is a month older than Faldo, I thought that would be easy enough to dispute. I just kept all of my picks within the same criteria that you used so that it couldn't be disputed.

Edit 2 - Now that I think of it, Nick Price is higher in money than Daly, has played more events than Goosen, and that would give me 8. Sorry, I'm just trying to amuse myself now, again, it is just to open for interpretation
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-27-2005 at 03:46 AM.

Thread Information