|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What makes a driver a "player's" driver

I am looking to trade in my r580 9.5* for a mizuno mp 001 9*. I hit the TM pretty well (about 260 avg.) but I am mostly interested in getting a driver with an aftermarket shaft. The mizunos I am looking at come with either a nv-65 or prolaunch, stiff (leaning towards prolaunch because I hear the mizuno has a low launch angle). But I digress...
    What I am interested to know is why the mizuno is considered more of a "player's" club in terms of working draws and fades on command. Both driver's are 400cc and I believe are about D-2 swingweights. I figured any amount of working shots had more to do with one's swing, rather than clubhead design (particularly at 400cc). Reviews seem to suggest that if you are a slicer (I am not, but I do tend to fade) then stay away from the mizuno, But on the otherhand, the r580 is a good choice because it has a slightly closed face.

The biggest factor is where the center of gravity is located. A more forgiving center of gravity tends to be located low and deep, toward the back of the club. This makes a higher trajectory , often with more spin. A player's club has a higher center of gravity located more to the front. This makes it easier to work the ball right and left, and the club hits on a lower trajectory and usually with less spin. Shafts also contribute to whether it is a "playa's club". Usually these clubs have somewhat stiffer, higher kickpoint, lower torque shafts.

All this said, obviously one doesn't want a club that doesn't fit his/her game. If you have a higher speed, controllable, reproduceable swing and know how to work the ball, a player's driver might be just the ticket. For most people, forgiveness is what one should seek in a driver. Remember a draw or fade is just a controlled mis-hit. For most of us, trying to work the ball can cause more problems than it solves; straight is almost always good.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

'fade and draw are just controlled mishits....straight is almost always good"

As always, very enlightening Dorkman.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by WhoElseButMe

I beg to differ. I often hit a draw or fade purely and plan for is so it is therefor not a misshit. When I hit anything other than 8i down dead straight it is a miss hit because I am not planning to do it. Shot making is not miss hitting its one of my favorite parts of the golf game. Or how about when u have to play a big hook or slice and u do that is not a moss hit. Maby the shot before hand that got u into trouble was a miss hit but not a well played recovery shot just because it is not straight.

Sry I c that Dork originally posted that comment, but I still sincerly disagree with that statement.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoElseButMe

If it's "controlled" then how can it be a mishit? A mishit by it's very definition means that you hit a shot you did not INTEND to hit.

Methinks there was a bit of personal bias as opposed to logic in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by ce_me_golf
    If it's "controlled" then how can it be a mishit? A mishit by it's very definition means that you hit a shot you did not INTEND to hit.

Methinks there was a bit of personal bias as opposed to logic in your post.

Thank U my piont as well.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jordoo
    I beg to differ. I often hit a draw or fade purely and plan for is so it is therefor not a misshit. When I hit anything other than 8i down dead straight it is a miss hit because I am not planning to do it. Shot making is not miss hitting its one of my favorite parts of the golf game. Or how about when u have to play a big hook or slice and u do that is not a moss hit. Maby the shot before hand that got u into trouble was a miss hit but not a well played recovery shot just because it is not straight.

Sry I c that Dork originally posted that comment, but I still sincerly disagree with that statement.
    Please understand the comment in context. When I mean a mis-hit, I am referring to the fact that the ball doesn't go straight. A draw of a fade obviously is an attempt to place sidespin on the ball to make it curve. My hat is off to those of you who can do it on command and with predictable results. The only reason I called it a "mis-hit" is because of the sidespin. It was not a derogatory term; again, I admire those who can do it predictably. I can make my shots draw and fade at times, but to do it dependably is a skill I hope to develop with further lessons. (When I've tried to do it on the course, I often create more problems than I solve, and wish I'd just gone for the straight shot. For right now, I'm just happy to be able to hit it straight most of the time, as a 10-11 indexer.)
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Please understand the comment in context. When I mean a mis-hit, I am referring to the fact that the ball doesn't go straight. A draw of a fade obviously is an attempt to place sidespin on the ball to make it curve. My hat is off to those of you who can do it on command and with predictable results. The only reason I called it a "mis-hit" is because of the sidespin. It was not a derogatory term; again, I admire those who can do it predictably. I can make my shots draw and fade at times, but to do it dependably is a skill I hope to develop with further lessons. (When I've tried to do it on the course, I often create more problems than I solve, and wish I'd just gone for the straight shot. For right now, I'm just happy to be able to hit it straight most of the time, as a 10-11 indexer.)

Don't worry I am not looking to get into a person battle here.LOL Just a respectful dialoge where all are free to disagree respectfully.

Anyway I find it harder to hit the ball straight with long clubs, at least for me its easier to play a certain shot some days I will draw it so well that I will play that shot all day other days I fade it all day because that is really going well. It is the rare day that I can hit it one way and then the other and still pure it all day long. I do generally go right at the flag with 8i on down, and hit them very straight but after that I think its harder to hit the straight ball so if u can do that I applaud you to me its harder. I do hit 8i about 165 though so with good drives I am usually going right at the pin my index was 8.9 I think but have 10 rounds to put in and all but one are in the 70's so that will probably sink a little.

I still guess I just don't like calling it a miss hit as that would make it seem like most pro's miss hit the ball around the course. I understand ur piont I guess my issue is just with the terminology. Also u are correct if u plan to turn the ball one way or the othe rand mess it up u are usually further away than aiming straight and messing up. The dreaded double cross.LOL

A fade or draw you're planning to make and expecting the results is controlled.. But when it goes too far left or right, or not as far left or right as you were expecting, it's a mishit. Or, a controlled mishit haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    A fade or draw you're planning to make and expecting the results is controlled.. But when it goes too far left or right, or not as far left or right as you were expecting, it's a mishit. Or, a controlled mishit haha

Certainly But then the same for a when u plan to hit it straight.LOL Belive me I hit plenty of miss hits. But I have hit draws and fades that where deffinately not miss hits that I am sure of. Of course I have hit plenty that where miss hits to.

Thread Information