|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Golfing alone

Golfing alone

do any of you go golfing by yourself once in a while? i'm not very familiar yet with going to the larger courses like you guys do...do you see solo golfers play frequently? and in your experience, how skilled are these single players? and do you usually play better when you go on your own, or with your buddies?

i'm still very much a beginner, but i seem to have more free time during the week than my friends do, so i'm considering flying solo here and there just to keep improving...and this will all be at my local par-3 course, and usually there aren't many people there in the late afternoons/early evenings...would these be the best times to go golfing by yourself?

also, any stories/experiences you guys mind sharing about solo golfers (either good or bad)?

Last Saturday I golfed by myself for the first time in as long as I can remember. Summer here is off-season as it's so damned hot people don't play. I got round in 2 hours after a 7am tee-time and saw only two other groups on the course.

I treated the round seriously, practice swings, lining up putts etc. Only played one ball. Tried to keep the discipline of having a pre-shot routine.

In terms of playing better - well, I was a few shots worse, if anything. But I can put that done to one horrendous hole...so, net effect was I shot pretty much the same as normal.

I prefer playing in company, but perhaps there were advantages to a solo round - maybe I experimented a little in club selection, that sort of thing.

I think the main disadvantage would be to play solo on a busy course and get stuck behind fourballs all over the place. So if you do it, pick a quiet course or try for the earliest tee-time possible!

I play by myself a lot, and I actually prefer it. When I play alone, I give myself and my game my total attention.

The downside is that you play faster when you are alone, and you get caught behind groups from time to time. If people let you play through it's ok, but sometimes it kills your momentum. The last time I played I was alone, and I started off playing really good, then I got stuck behind 4 total hackers who never thought of asking me if I'd like to play through, eventhough there were no groups ahead of them as they had told me at one point. So my frustration with them carried over into my swing, and I played like hell for the rest of the round. On No.9 I just stopped keeping score and started playing 3 balls and treating it like practice.

There is no rule that says you have to be a good golfer to play the game, but there is a rule about pace of play and letting faster players play through. I can't stand it when people don't observe the rules. The last time I played at that course 4 guys were ahead of me, super friendly, let me play through, and I almost aced the hole I played through. I feel that this was partially because they did not effect me in any way other than positively, and I approached the tee shot with positive thoughts. 'Let me hit something close and get out of the way for these guys.' I hit it about a foot from the pin, and it proceeded to spin back about 7 feet. That was the last time I played the HX Blue.

I have played alone once, its not that bad. But the courses here don't allow a single person to tee off on weekends and at peak hrs i.e. 5:30AM - 8:30 AM which is a total kill-joy coz after 8:30 it gets really hot.

About playing better or worse, it doesn't make much difference and basically depends on one's mindset. I played seriously, no preferred lies etc., and did quite well.
    Last edited by WhoElseButMe; 07-28-2005 at 12:30 AM.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

I work a 24-on 48-off shift schedule, so I'm off a lot when most are working. So yes, I play by myself often. (That doesn't sound right.) Anyway, a buddy from work will go from time to time, but he's got 2 babies at home, so a lot of time it's just me.
    Weekends I can play w/brothers,friends,etc.
    When I go on vacation, often it's just me as well.
    No real funny stories, except some times I'll play against myself; and let me tell ya, that 2nd guy is pretty good !

I play almost everyday in the summer so i have played alon on occasion and find it sort of boring. Just walking with my bag on my shoulders, looking around, but between shots it isnt very fun, but it gives you time to enjoy the scenery.

Ok some diff here...you are talking alone - alone, I was refering to playing without a partner..even when alone I can discuss shots with the caddy or chat with him.Guess reallying being alone on the course might me boring. I wold feel very disappointed when I play a really good shot and I have noone watching.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

I play alone

I dont know any golfers...so am playing alone in the afternoons....sometimes I wish I had some buddies to talk to, other times enjoy the solitude.

when I go out alone, there almost always is another twosome or threesome to get paired up with. It usually a lot of fun and a great way to meet other players/golfer. I know have some regular golfer to play with that I was initially paired up with.

On weekends, I usually play with a group of buddies, but when I get a chance to get out on a weekday afternoon after work or on short days when I'm off at noon, I call whatever course I'm interested in playing to make sure they aren't having a tournament and can take walk-ons, and then just show up and play. Sometimes in later afternoons, I find myself alone. Usually I end up with another single or twosome, but many times I've started out by myself. Most of the time I'll end up joining another group along the way, but there have been times I've played the entire 18 by myself. I like it either way. You almost always end up meeting someone who is fun, since golfers are usually out there for recreation. Rarely I've met people who are super intense about the game to the point that they clearly aren't having any fun because any frustration they encounter gets to them, but that is extremely unusual at the courses I play. I find that I usually score my best when I am by myself or playing with total strangers, because my concentration is better than when I am playing with my friends.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC
    I work a 24-on 48-off shift schedule, so I'm off a lot when most are working. So yes, I play by myself often. (That doesn't sound right.) Anyway, a buddy from work will go from time to time, but he's got 2 babies at home, so a lot of time it's just me.
    Weekends I can play w/brothers,friends,etc.
    When I go on vacation, often it's just me as well.
    No real funny stories, except some times I'll play against myself; and let me tell ya, that 2nd guy is pretty good !
    I usually blay two balls when by myself as well. But wichever one winns the hole has honors and then forfits the secound shot advantage.LOL
    But I was laughing out load when u said that secound guy is pretty good, because I knew exactly what u where talking about.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used to play alone quite frequently maybe 1-2 times during the week. Nice, peaceful, relaxing, at one with yourself. I actually play better alone. But as mentioned by the previous posters. If there is anyone on the course you will catch up to them quickly. Because I am a faster player this will kill my game having to wait so long. So most of my better rounds have come when I have played alone and did not catch anyone on the course. The only disadvantage to this is how quickly the round is. I have played several 18 hole rounds in just over 45 minutes, and shot in the 70's-low 80's in the process. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I've had many rounds higher than the 80's when playing alone. If you can walk the course, it helps, because the round will last closer to 1:30 and you will not catch people as quickly. Since moving up here, I do not play alone anymore unless it is cold or bad conditions, because the courses almost always have quite a few foursomes, and you cannot walk most of the courses up here. It's not bad when you pair up with a 2-3 but waiting on a 4 as a 1 is a pain. This year, I haven't had many rounds in the 80's, probably more just a matter of not playing enough golf because I got away from playing alone.

Also after about a year with me, the appeal would wear off if I did it more than once a week. I would usually try to pair up with a 2 or 3 that was behind a 4.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 07-28-2005 at 05:26 AM.

I just recently moved to the area and joined a club. It is a great course and facility. I go out and play after work most days. I have played solo a lot as a result. There are just not that many people playing during the late afternoon's in Kansas.

I find it to be relaxing. A good way to unwind after work. Walking 9 holes is also good excerise.

/bd

I golf alone about half the time. IMO solo golfers are pretty good because theyre certainly not there for the comraderie, but to work on their game.
    Titleist 704, DG S300
    Titleist 904T 10.5
    Callaway 52d wedge
    Titleist Vokey Oil Can 60d wedge
    Adams redline 5 wood stiff flex steel
    4 Ball putter

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    I have played several 18 hole rounds in just over 45 minutes, and shot in the 70's-low 80's in the process. If you can walk the course, it helps, because the round will last closer to 1:30 and you will not catch people as quickly.
    Holy hell, you must be flying. That's like two and a half minutes a hole with a cart, or five minutes a hole walking, assuming it takes no time to get from hole to hole. If you're walking a 6000 yard course, that means you're moving at an average speed of about 2.3 miles per hour for the entire round. That's crazy.

I also golf alone occasionally, and I like it. Sometimes I play seriously, sometimes I just go out to experiment with shot types, lies, etc. Usually I'll walk it for cheap...there's one course I go to that's $14 to walk. That's less than the Par 3 that's near my house.

Howevver, I find I usually play better with others since I have the chance to play off their shots. Watching to judge distance to a dogleg, watching the break on a similar putting line, learning the speed of a green, reminding myself to make contact and keep it in play because my partner just cranked a drive a mile OB...stuff like that. Plus, I have a tendency to get too technical if I'm by myself and have all the time in the world to think about a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    do any of you go golfing by yourself once in a while? i'm not very familiar yet with going to the larger courses like you guys do...do you see solo golfers play frequently? and in your experience, how skilled are these single players? and do you usually play better when you go on your own, or with your buddies?

i'm still very much a beginner, but i seem to have more free time during the week than my friends do, so i'm considering flying solo here and there just to keep improving...and this will all be at my local par-3 course, and usually there aren't many people there in the late afternoons/early evenings...would these be the best times to go golfing by yourself?

also, any stories/experiences you guys mind sharing about solo golfers (either good or bad)?
    The last two rounds I've played have been alone. Actually I find it quite relaxing. Nice day, beautiful golf course, playing a game that I love. I tend to a loner by nature so it doesn't bother me at all. I've also been alone and been paired with some interesting people and had some enjoyable rounds. Most of the people I meet or either friendly and courteous or some just play like they are playing the round by themselves and you just happen to be sharing the fairway and green with them. And yes, I've also played with friends, and that's fun as long as they don't try to instruct while I'm playing. I find that extremely irritating whether I know the person or not. For me it's hard not to play golf and enjoy it under any circustances. Somebody would have to be pretty obnoxious to ruin a round for me.

To me, I play better when I play by myself because instead of having a conversation with a friend, I am focusing on the next shot or something like that. I enjoy playing by myself and listening to my iPod, no matter how I am playing, it is one of the most relaxing things I know.

I'm another golfer who plays as a single often; I can get out on weekdays when my buddies can't. I often get paired with another single or twosome. The more muni type layouts seem to have more singles playing, the better courses you see almost all groups.

In S. Jersey most all of the public courses have either an early morning or afternoon discount depending on their usual bookings. In fact I'm going out today for the after 3pm special at a local course, $32 w/ cart for 18 on a very nice layout. We have another pretty good one for $22 before 1pm, again with cart.

Don't be afraid to just call the 18-hole course you'd like to play Prodigy. Let them know you're new to the game and are looking for similar players for a round. Any pro shop worth their salt will hook you up with someone for a round. They are in business to recruit new customers.
    It's not the Arrow, It's the Indian

Only one bad experience playing alone... I was paired up with 2 guys on a Saturday morning at a pretty tight course. These guys were not only terrible, but slowwwww as well. I play extremely fast, to a fault almost, so this was killing me to be THAT group who's ruining everyone else's day. The course was packed and the ranger told us a few times to keep up with the group in front. The guys would not let other groups through and we're actually quite pissed when the group behind us asked to play through on a par 3. The ranger came up to us on the back nine and told us to skip the last 2 holes and start on the back in order to catch up. I'm still embarassed to see rangers at that course because I think they'll recognize me!

Otherwise, I don't do really often but I like it. I usually don't take things too seriously and will try different course management to see the results. I'll play super aggressive or conservative (or both) and compare to previous rounds. Fun.

Golfing alone...................

.......................would suck if you got a hole in 1.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    .......................would suck if you got a hole in 1.
    Very true its also best to keep your score to yourself as well. The first thing most people ask is who did you play with. "Oh by yourself I see"(rolling the eyes) I have had a couple of good solo rounds but usually just say I hit it well and don't mention the score.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Only one bad experience playing alone... I was paired up with 2 guys on a Saturday morning at a pretty tight course. These guys were not only terrible, but slowwwww as well. I play extremely fast, to a fault almost, so this was killing me to be THAT group who's ruining everyone else's day. The course was packed and the ranger told us a few times to keep up with the group in front. The guys would not let other groups through and we're actually quite pissed when the group behind us asked to play through on a par 3. The ranger came up to us on the back nine and told us to skip the last 2 holes and start on the back in order to catch up. I'm still embarassed to see rangers at that course because I think they'll recognize me!

Otherwise, I don't do really often but I like it. I usually don't take things too seriously and will try different course management to see the results. I'll play super aggressive or conservative (or both) and compare to previous rounds. Fun.
    This happened to me one day! I was out as a single and the starter paired me with a threesome. These guys were so slow they were 2 holes behind the group ahead of us. So the ranger keeps coming up and yelling at us and I'm thinking to myself, "hey, you guys stuck me with this group. Give me a break". Anyways, he later proceeds to physically move us two holes ahead which really pissed me off because now I'm playing the course all out of order. It just sucks that I get penalized along with the group they stick me with and they treat me like crap. Plus I'm put in the position where I can't really say anything because these are the guys I'm stuck with for the next 3 hours and acting like a jerk in front of them will just make my round more uncomfortable than it already is. At least I got to go back after 18 and finish the two holes I missed!

I went a week ago and got paired with a guy and his son as well as another single player. The Guy and his son had never played before and were sooo slow. I know that they had a reason but the ranger kept yelling at me, thinking I was slow because I'm only 12. I wanted to just turn around and tell him that these other people took about 20 shots on each hole. Finally the other fast player asked if we could be moved ahead of these people and the ranger said yes. Our round ended up taking only an hour and a half thanks to the ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPoet
    Holy hell, you must be flying. That's like two and a half minutes a hole with a cart, or five minutes a hole walking, assuming it takes no time to get from hole to hole. If you're walking a 6000 yard course, that means you're moving at an average speed of about 2.3 miles per hour for the entire round. That's crazy.
    Looking at it that way, that is pretty insane now that I think about it. The course I used to play before was only maybe 5200 yards. I had several rounds of around 45 minutes, and a couple walking of just over 1:30. Maybe it is time to think about slowing down my game.

The course I play now is 17.2 miles round trip and I have played it in 2 to 2:30 hours. I guess if you think of it in MPH, I can now begin to understand why the starter looks at me like I'm crazy when I get back from a round.

To me playing 45 minutes is not worth it, golf isn't supposed to be played that fast. To me a perfect round is 4 hours.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    To me playing 45 minutes is not worth it, golf isn't supposed to be played that fast. To me a perfect round is 4 hours.
    I fully agree with this, regardless of the speed I play as a single. If I am going to pay money to play a round of golf, I want to get my money's worth out of the round. Where I used to live, getting a round in didn't cost me a dime more than I had already payed, so being able to get a round in after work was nice. When I moved up here, I stopped playing as a single because I had to pay for the round. ("stopped playing with myself, and having to pay for it just didn't sound right ) It is not uncommon to have a 5 1/2 hour round up here on the weekends, and although I do not play as well, I tend to have more fun, and get a lot more enjoyment for my money. I actually will not play as a single any more unless the round is dirt cheap and about what I would spend on the driving range

golifing alone is the greatest thing because it really lets you focus, th only downfall to golfing alone is not having anyone there to verify a score that you shot!

I used to play alone quite a bit. I still do on occasion when my buddy stiffs me! I have a few days coming up where my wife/kid are visiting relatives while I am stuck back at home working, so I may take a day to golf all day - and I'd most likely have golf alone since it is a workday.

There is a solitary component to the game for sure. Consider that a vast majority of people go to the range alone.

I see quite a lot of people going solo, particularly on sort of off hours late in the afternoon on a weekday.

My regular golfing buddy overslept our tee time once so I got paired up. Turns out this twosome insisted on playing from the black tees (or champion tees or whatever they're called elsewhere). I guess I could have just played from my regular set of tees but I find it annoying when a group is teeing off from separate tees (aside from having a lady in the group of course). So I played the back tees with them and it made for an agonizing round. Those tees are obviously meant for high calibre players but these guys, including myself, were a group of hacks. It was funny when we'd tee off from the 1st and 10th holes by the clubhouse and everyone in the vicinity hushed up to watch us hit as if we were seasoned pros, only to see three of the worst drives they'd seen all day. That was the only time I golfed alone. Although it wasn't solo, it was without someone I'm already acquainted with.

I play alone most of the time. Most of the time I play mediocre. When I get the chance to play with people, I usually play much better.

I don't mind playing alone because I just listen to my iPod shuffle and kick back. One of the courses I play almost always plugs up at the fourteenth hole. I usually bail out and hit the range .

MF

90% of times, played alone and actually prefers that. can focus on working with different shots, or compared clubs either at the tee or from 100 yards in, you name it. I tend to get distracted when playing with others. I would find some odd time (early or mid-day) or extreme weather (windy, soggy, hot or winter time etc) where no one would want to play even on the busy courses. One record was one winter afternoon few hours before it snowed, started with 4 cars including mine and the clerk's on the parking lot of a busiest muni course, didn't see the other two golfers at all; walked off with light snow started and no other car left on the parking lot around 4:00PM, it was about 35F.

The only downside is occassionally I hit a great drive, and see where it landed around and simply couldn't find the ball; othertime, lose track of the ball after hitting, and there were no extra pairs of eyes to help me.

Stuck behind 4s? I'd skip the hole, walking or driving; but if I know there 3 4s before me, forget about it, practice as many as I want as long as not stalling folks behined me.

2nd me is always better? Not all the times, do one tend to take one more shot at it if the ball falls within 4 feet of the flag? Sometimes I try to repeat or try diff things even I happened to get the 1st me close, hard to repeat the glory for sure.
    Last edited by golf-addict; 07-28-2005 at 08:41 PM.

I went to play alone a couple of times, but was paired all but once, they paired me with a pair of Swedish girls once...

I was afraid I would loose many balls, but didnt loose any, and it was good to have plenty of time, as there was a foursome ahead, without making anyone wait...

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]
    NIKE Ignite 460, Grafalloy Blue, Lucky 13*
    CLEVELAND Launcher, Grafalloy ProLite, 17*
    NIKE CPR Woods, UST Mid Kick, 22* + 26*
    NIKE Slingshots, True Temper, 5 - PW + SW
    CLEVELAND 900 Tour Action Gun Metal, 60*
    SCOTTY CAMERON Red X2, 35"
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

good ideal, on occasions

i like golfing alone (esp. on Sat 6:30 AM) -- it's good to practice solo, all concentration
    or
    just showing up and starting Tee with strangers, being socialble (even better)
    or
    arriving with friends, bantering like hell (the best).

Thread Information