|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Project X 5.5 steel shafts stiffness?

"Project X 5.5" steel shafts stiffness: is this "regular" or "stiff" ?

Quote Originally Posted by ironblade
    "Project X 5.5" steel shafts stiffness: is this "regular" or "stiff" ?
    5.5 is Royal Precision's stiff. 6.0 is x/s, 6.5 is x, 5.0 is r/s and so on.

My club Guru has explained to me that the match for s300 steel in rifle is actually 5.8.

5.5 would be much closer to a r400 steel.

6.0 would be more like s400.

I play s300 dyna-lite steel. I had a set with rifle 6.0 steel and it was too stiff for me. Straight as an arrow, but only about forehead high....That will not work for me.

I agree with Besson.
    Furthermore, the Project X's play stiff to flex, so a 5.5 would play close to extra stiff. The Project X is an interesting shaft. They are lighter than many steel shafts, yet play fairly tip stiff. They feel wonderful if you hit down on the ball and take a divot, but don't load well unless you take a divot. They are NOT for sweepers. If you hit the ball thin, they feel very harsh. I tried some irons in them a year or so ago, and found out they were not for me, since I tend to take a shallow divot at most, and sweep my longer irons. (I had heard this information before I got them, but foolishly chose to ignore it; the advice about sweepers vs. digger/divot takers was right on, in my experience. Oh, well; they got a good price as pullouts on e-bay. I even included an advisory in my e-bay ad about the type of person who could benefit from them)
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Yeah, I have no experience with the X's but I played flighted rifles in my previous set of TM 300's and currently play them in my 690.CB's. I hit the ball fairly high as it is so I feel they are a good match for my swing but they aren't for everybody...

rifle flighted 5.5 works great for me on NIke blade 6-PW, well controlled (If one sweep them, got extra rolls; hit them down, balls shoot straight up) . But couldn't quite get 3-5 fly high enough (could be due to more of sweeping on mid-long instead of desc blow); replaced 3 and 5 with rifle air-lite, seem to get enough trajectory now.

Also use Mizuno MX-20 6i R-300 and MX-23 4i graphite R, and practice with MX-20 3i S-300; they flies sky high even with light divots (still easier route for now compared to work on Nike's 3 and 4)
    Last edited by golf-addict; 07-29-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I agree with Besson.
    Furthermore, the Project X's play stiff to flex, so a 5.5 would play close to extra stiff. The Project X is an interesting shaft. They are lighter than many steel shafts, yet play fairly tip stiff. They feel wonderful if you hit down on the ball and take a divot, but don't load well unless you take a divot. They are NOT for sweepers. If you hit the ball thin, they feel very harsh. I tried some irons in them a year or so ago, and found out they were not for me, since I tend to take a shallow divot at most, and sweep my longer irons. (I had heard this information before I got them, but foolishly chose to ignore it; the advice about sweepers vs. digger/divot takers was right on, in my experience. Oh, well; they got a good price as pullouts on e-bay. I even included an advisory in my e-bay ad about the type of person who could benefit from them)
    So what shaft did you switch to? Also more of a sweeper...

Quote Originally Posted by rhinogolfer
    So what shaft did you switch to? Also more of a sweeper...
    I've currently found the "love of my life" shaft in the True Temper Tour Concepts. But they are very pricey and most people won't want to get them.
    Good old tried and true Dynamic Golds and Rifles work really pretty well. I haven't tried Rifle flighted, but the Tour Concepts are a variant on that theme; flighted progression so the longer irons hit higher and the shorter irons hit lower, in a gradient fashion.

Trying to make mak e a decision on shafts

SO if you haaad to choose which would you go with. the tour concepts or the Project x.
    I have been looking at both shafts and am leaning towards the tour concepts.
    I have bothe the Mizuno MP 32 and MP 57 clubs and and trying to decid which way to go. any advice

Quote Originally Posted by mizuno_longballer
    SO if you haaad to choose which would you go with. the tour concepts or the Project x.
    I have been looking at both shafts and am leaning towards the tour concepts.
    I have bothe the Mizuno MP 32 and MP 57 clubs and and trying to decid which way to go. any advice
    In the 2 1/2 years since I wrote that last post, I have found the True Temper Black Golds, and they are my shaft of choice for irons, wedges, and hybrids. They're smoother than Dynamic Golds, but I have much better distance control over them than the Tour Concepts. The Tour Concepts are slightly smoother feeling, but I had a tendency to miss long and short a relatively high percentage of the time with them if my swing wasn't perfectly dialed in. The Black Golds give me more predictable distances, and are WAY less costly and much more available than the Tour Concepts.

Not to confuse but there is also the Project X High Launch.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    In the 2 1/2 years since I wrote that last post, I have found the True Temper Black Golds, and they are my shaft of choice for irons, wedges, and hybrids. They're smoother than Dynamic Golds, but I have much better distance control over them than the Tour Concepts. The Tour Concepts are slightly smoother feeling, but I had a tendency to miss long and short a relatively high percentage of the time with them if my swing wasn't perfectly dialed in. The Black Golds give me more predictable distances, and are WAY less costly and much more available than the Tour Concepts.
    Black Golds are working great for me as well, distance wise. I've never quite had as much control over distance as I do now, with my Adams Idea Pro forged irons...

yesterday I was downwind on a 180 yard par 3, downhill a bit, pulled out the 6 iron and in the middle of my swing I felt a puff of extra wind from behind me...

And even in the midst of the backswing, I was able to ease off and moderate the strike so that it would compensate for the extra downwind...

And it worked, got it to 15 feet... if I had tried that sort of mid-swing correction with my old pings it would have just dropped the ball weak and right...

TT Black Gold is terrific iron shaft for me, 112-114 mph driver swing speed... irons have high launch but then sit down and bore through the wind... very pleasing trajectory, very easy to hit straight and accurate irons...

best I ever played, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    My club Guru has explained to me that the match for s300 steel in rifle is actually 5.8.

5.5 would be much closer to a r400 steel.

6.0 would be more like s400.

I play s300 dyna-lite steel. I had a set with rifle 6.0 steel and it was too stiff for me. Straight as an arrow, but only about forehead high....That will not work for me.

First off, there is no stiffness difference between an S200, S300, or S400 in Dynamic gold shafts. The S200 and S400's are simply out of spec S300's. The S400's are 3-4g heavier, the S200's are 3-4g lighter. That is it, nothing even remotely fancy about them.

Now for stiffness. A stiff flex dynamic gold S300 is about 5.7 on the rifle scale. The other thing that needs to be considered is installation of the Rifle shafts. They are measured for flex in a specific head set up. When using in heads with different hosel lengths, or head weights the stiffness will change, and with these shafts it can change substantially. See the Royal Precision website, and sign up for access to this info.

Now the final myth. Project X shafts do not play stiffer than their equivalent flexed rifle counterparts. The may feel stiffer because of the design of the butt section, but actual real world flex is not different. These shafts can also be used by any swing type, dig or sweep, only when choosing a head design does your swing type matter.
    Last edited by LyleG; 02-11-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    First off, there is no stiffness difference between an S200, S300, or S400 in Dynamic gold shafts. The S200 and S400's are simply out of spec S300's. The S400's are 3-4g heavier, the S200's are 3-4g lighter. That is it, nothing even remotely fancy about them.

Now for stiffness. A stiff flex dynamic gold S300 is about 5.7 on the rifle scale. The other thing that needs to be considered is installation of the Rifle shafts. They are measured for flex in a specific head set up. When using in heads with different hosel lengths, or head weights the stiffness will change, and with these shafts it can change substantially. See the Royal Precision website, and sign up for access to this info.

Now the final myth. Project X shafts do not play stiffer than their equivalent flexed rifle counterparts. The may feel stiffer because of the design of the butt section, but actual real world flex is not different. These shafts can also be used by any swing type, dig or sweep, only when choosing a head design does your swing type matter.
    What would a 5.5 and 6.0 play like in a X forged?

stiffer? softer? than expected?
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    What would a 5.5 and 6.0 play like in a X forged?

stiffer? softer? than expected?

Go to the website, sign up and read the fuking info provided.

Seriously, you will need to weight the heads, measure the hosel depths, and a few other things. Besides you should be looking at a 3.5 or 4.0 flex with your physique.

Harsh

Wow - that was harsh.

Thread Information