|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Advice from Omen or anyone sensible please re forged irons

Hi

Omen old pal, you and i have had many disagreements, many heated and abusive. I do however respect your opinion on forged clubs soooooooooooooo

I have finally reached the point where i can afford, justify and have the permission of she who must be obeyed to buy whatever irons i want (within reason)

I do not want to go down the Mizuno road for many reasons so please lets keep away from that one.

I love Miuras and have always fancied a set BUT i have also seen a set of the new cally X proto's. I know they aint jap and they do make the best forgings but the Callys are sweet.

Without going down the road of 1 offs, what are your (Or anyone else for that matter) views on where to look.

I will get custom fitted, obviously and are unsure of whether to go for blade (MB) or player CB.

I appreciate there will be some jibes and thats cool, but some sensible comments would also be appreciated.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Edgey have you been sampling the new bottle of scotch in the liquor cabinet today. BTW the cally's look very nice. Just substitue a couple of hybrids for the 3 and 4 iron.
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

daveperk Guest
    Adams Idea Pro Forged with Black Gold shaft.

Feels soft and sweet because it's forged, forgives a bit more than a blade, goes anywhere you want it by whatever trajectory you want. Left, right, straight, high, low, no prob.

You can pick up a set used on Ebay for $400 or so. Knowing our currency these days, that's probably about fifty pounds sterling. :-)

If you haven't read my latest round report I shot a 90 for a handicap of 16.7 with 5 GIR's 3 putted (actually one was a 4 putt I'm ashamed to admit) so take my advice for what its worth. I was originally looking for forged blades to practice with at the range and was still going to play my Cobra SSi's. Bought MP-33's and bagged them within one range session. The bottom line for me is the added weight in the head helps me with clubhead awareness and my ballstriking IMPROVED moving from CB's to MB's. Its a solid offering despite the current Mizzy vs Non Mizzy argument...I don't think you should overlook them because of our internet ramblings.
    2 tears in a bucket

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse.day
    If you haven't read my latest round report I shot a 90 for a handicap of 16.7 with 5 GIR's 3 putted (actually one was a 4 putt I'm ashamed to admit) so take my advice for what its worth. I was originally looking for forged blades to practice with at the range and was still going to play my Cobra SSi's. Bought MP-33's and bagged them within one range session. The bottom line for me is the added weight in the head helps me with clubhead awareness and my ballstriking IMPROVED moving from CB's to MB's. Its a solid offering despite the current Mizzy vs Non Mizzy argument...I don't think you should overlook them because of our internet ramblings.
    Exactly, one range session and you fall in love. Great choice jesse.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Thanks BJ,

I was originally wondering if Edgey was trying to sniff out the Mizuno crowd but I'm starting to realize that such devious ways are let to Spank and his ongoing alias' and that most Brits have at least one good quality: class.

I've also realized that I constantly get sucked into equipment debates and get a whooping 1 response to techinque questions.
    2 tears in a bucket

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

Omen old pal, you and i have had many disagreements, many heated and abusive. I do however respect your opinion on forged clubs soooooooooooooo

I have finally reached the point where i can afford, justify and have the permission of she who must be obeyed to buy whatever irons i want (within reason)

I do not want to go down the Mizuno road for many reasons so please lets keep away from that one.

I love Miuras and have always fancied a set BUT i have also seen a set of the new cally X proto's. I know they aint jap and they do make the best forgings but the Callys are sweet.

Without going down the road of 1 offs, what are your (Or anyone else for that matter) views on where to look.

I will get custom fitted, obviously and are unsure of whether to go for blade (MB) or player CB.

I appreciate there will be some jibes and thats cool, but some sensible comments would also be appreciated.

Edgey

Edgey,

Look at clearance deals or special deals if you want something to actually get your hands on and try on the brick 'n mortar route. Discounts and closeouts abound, and lots of good clubs show up there. If you're talking about player's irons (whether they be CB or MB) the technology does not change much from year to year in this market. Player's irons are more likely to become worn out than obsolete. The technology is already maximized. Only if you buy the latest, "greatest" super forgiving irons are you likely to be disappointed a year from now when a new more forgiving set is crafted and goes to retail.

Don't discount MB's right away. There are some models of MB that are just as easy to hit as any of the players CB's. The rac MB TP's I use are one of those exceptions. Very easy to hit with the tight dispersion of a MB without the unforgiving penalty a traditional MB forces on you if you mishit them. I FEEL the mishit - but I don't have to suffer much punishment for it. You wouldn't be seen driving a bicycle with training wheels on it, so why do you need training wheels on your golf clubs? Those super-forgiving irons MIGHT save you a shot every four rounds if you're around a 10 cap like me. Who knows how many flags you could've flushed out of the hole with the tighter shot dispersion of a MB though. Who knows how much confidence you are costing yourself by settling for the more loose dispersion a CB iron produces. Maybe it could cost you a few shots a round long-term.

The issue is not to be looking for short-term fixes. Unless you plan to give up golf 10 rounds after you buy your new clubs because you've realized that they haven't helped your scores enough to legitimize the expense. There's a reason surgeons don't cut us open with hammers or shovels. Wrong tool for the job, even if the tool is CAPABLE of that job. They are NOT precision instruments.

Your choice of forged is sound if you intend to work on your game a little more than the average guy and still have the option to have your clubs bent to your specs once you solidify your setup and impact conditions. The MB's will get you to that point faster and keep you there more consistently, translating your fitting experience into tangible and relevant results out on the course - thus making it more worthwhile. The more consistent of a ballstriker you become, the more relevant a proper fitting becomes. Consistent ballstrikers have more to gain from a fitting than a sloppy hitter who relies on the forgiveness of technology to put them in play. To make an example - the best rifle scope in the world will not aid a shaky sniper at hitting the target. Lose the shakes and you can hit a mouse at 100 yards with iron sights. Then you won't need a 50 shot magazine and automatic rifle to ensure you make a kill.

Keep this in mind and choose based on where you see yourself in a couple years and you should be OK.

Nobody needs forgiveness, they just need improvement.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Hi

Thanks for all the replys so far.

Just to be clear for all those who dont know. I used to play off 7 and came back after a long lay off due to injury still of 7 and worked my way back towards that handicap.

I have previously played blades (MP33) but went for a little more forgiveness whilst i was attempting to re discover former glory.

Just to be clear i am NOT trying to flush the Mizzy crowd out, i know who they are. I have personal reasons why i wont use Mizzys any more and it has nowt to do with anything said on GR i promise. I have read everything thats been posted and appreciate the real depth and knowledge of the posters on here (not hackers and nobodys spank/trokeguru you to*ssbag).

When she who must be obeyed gives you cart blanche to buy what you want and the world is your oyster you do become a little spoilt for choice.

I have always wanted a set of GREAT forged irons (not that Mizzys arent) and are struggling where to start. If i do go for Miura i will have a LONG (by UK standards) drive to go through the process and the Callys look superb, BUT they are just Callys at the end of the day.

Decisions, decisions. Still could be worse

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

When she who must be obeyed gives you cart blanche to buy what you want and the world is your oyster you do become a little spoilt for choice.

Edgey
    Edgey

You are living Not a Hackers 'wet dream' at the moment. We are all watching in anticipation hoping you make the most of this once in a lifetime opportunity. Please don't disappoint.

Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Edgey

You are living Not a Hackers 'wet dream' at the moment. We are all watching in anticipation hoping you make the most of this once in a lifetime opportunity. Please don't disappoint.

Kiwi
    Thanks mate

I wont rush into the decision as i have approx $2000 (US) for the irons put away and want to make sure i get it right, it is a once in a lifetime chance after all.

Anymore ideas where to look, as i have to say the Miura's are looking good.

Edgey

Go to Hotstix. They will set you up with a perfectly matched set of clubs for only $20,000. You can't put a price on how great their fitting process is.
    Beware, they will probably try to "change up" your Lovett wedge. How can you improve on perfection?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

had a chance to hit the new adams idea pro gold and have to say they are awesome.

i have played mp 32s and the adams are equal if not better.

also they come standard w project x shafts give these sticks a chance.

i was thinking about buying a set myself the look is great and performance fantastic.

ebay has 5-pw brand new for less than 400 bucks fuk the shafts cost about 300

anyway hope i could help

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Go to Hotstix. They will set you up with a perfectly matched set of clubs for only $20,000. You can't put a price on how great their fitting process is.
    Beware, they will probably try to "change up" your Lovett wedge. How can you improve on perfection?
    Hi

Thanks for the advice HB

I have given Hot Stix a thought, because they do seem to offer quality unbiased advice however i have decided against it for a number of reasons

1. The Lovett Wedge (Amen) will no be leaving the bag WHATEVER i buy, it is gold and i suspect Hot Stix would not respect its awesome powers

2. The majority of the money i have would be took up in air fares, hotel costs etc (No Hot Stix in the UK)

3. I dont think they do Miuras

4. I have been fitted before on a few occasions (Mizzy + Ping) and have always been standard lie standard length. Both wanted to put me in a stiff shaft but i stayed reg cuz i hit a lowish ball in the real world and didnt want to hit it any lower. I suspect that the bulls*hitters at Hot Stix would take the mick and i would end up loosing my rag with them.

5. I have all the good advice i need here (F*uck you strokguru)

Edgey

I've also realized that I constantly get sucked into equipment debates and get a whooping 1 response to techinque questions.
    Worse yet, I'm certain the worthless responses exceed the valuable ones.

Maybe I'm too literal, but I would think clubs through "Hotstix" ought to be less money, not more. Hot to an italian can only mean one of two things.

Hi

Thanks for the advice HB

I have given Hot Stix a thought, because they do seem to offer quality unbiased advice however i have decided against it for a number of reasons

1. The Lovett Wedge (Amen) will no be leaving the bag WHATEVER i buy, it is gold and i suspect Hot Stix would not respect its awesome powers

2. The majority of the money i have would be took up in air fares, hotel costs etc (No Hot Stix in the UK)

3. I dont think they do Miuras

4. I have been fitted before on a few occasions (Mizzy + Ping) and have always been standard lie standard length. Both wanted to put me in a stiff shaft but i stayed reg cuz i hit a lowish ball in the real world and didnt want to hit it any lower. I suspect that the bulls*hitters at Hot Stix would take the mick and i would end up loosing my rag with them.

5. I have all the good advice i need here (F*uck you strokguru)

Edgey
    Sounds like you're not committed to a proper fitting. LyleG (RIP) must be rolling in his grave.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Sounds like you're not committed to a proper fitting. LyleG (RIP) must be rolling in his grave.
    If i was REALLY committed i would be on Shottalk speaking to Lyle G about ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

*****WAY???? Oh shi.t my computer wont even let me put C.ALL.AWAY in directly. Now that's phucking inferior.... Well with a Mizuno background it comes as no surprise.

Well I hope she who must be obeyed reads this and then smacks the shiot out of you for wasting her extreme generosity. Getting *****way's would be like spitting i her face.

now you may or may not know it but my one who must be obeyed happens to have something in common with my Mizuno's: both MADE IN JAPAN. So it's definitely to my advantage to keep flattering her by showing her that I am intelligent enough to continually reaffirm my belief in all things Japanese.

One other thing that they both have in common is that the smaller heads make your balls look bigger. Always a good thing. you can always get the head on the ball regardless of the bush that may lie between? no need to have a perfectly trimmed fairway to get your shot off if you know what i mean.

unfortunately both of my Made in Japan awesomeness's haven't allowed me to play the game as of late so unfortunately my balls are all a little blue.

Keep us posted and let us know what you settled on

*****way, the poor mans knockoff Mizuno's.

Omen, how's everyone been? glad to see APEMAN is back...
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

I have been very happy with my Bridgestone J33 combos. If you are unsure about moving to mbs or blades do yourself the service of giving these a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    *****WAY???? Oh shi.t my computer wont even let me put C.ALL.AWAY in directly. Now that's phucking inferior.... Well with a Mizuno background it comes as no surprise.

Well I hope she who must be obeyed reads this and then smacks the shiot out of you for wasting her extreme generosity. Getting *****way's would be like spitting i her face.

now you may or may not know it but my one who must be obeyed happens to have something in common with my Mizuno's: both MADE IN JAPAN. So it's definitely to my advantage to keep flattering her by showing her that I am intelligent enough to continually reaffirm my belief in all things Japanese.

One other thing that they both have in common is that the smaller heads make your balls look bigger. Always a good thing. you can always get the head on the ball regardless of the bush that may lie between? no need to have a perfectly trimmed fairway to get your shot off if you know what i mean.

unfortunately both of my Made in Japan awesomeness's haven't allowed me to play the game as of late so unfortunately my balls are all a little blue.

So it is possible to get your brains fukked out after all.

Granted, that's under 5 minutes' work in Omen's case... but still. This is proof.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2

Omen, old friend

I know this is going to come as a shock to ya, but.............

I have done some checking and THE CALLAWAY TOUR AUTHENTIC PROTOTYPE X MUSCLE ARE FORGED IN .....................JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Just to make it worse they are forged in the same factory as forge.........................MIURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

So according to your post you should LOVE these sticks they are after all JAPANESE FORGINGS from the best forging factory in the world.

Its a crazy world, old friend

Edgey

Those bastards at callaway how could they. Whats the world coming too. Callaways made in Japan along side and in the same presses as Mizuno's. maybe they should name them callanoe's or Mizunway's or calmizlanoeways
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

What's next for Callaway? are they gonna put their name on Ron Jeremy's stick? I won't feel sorry for the jokes that throw an extra $500 into these clubs just for the Callaway name

Thread Hijack!!!!
    If you were going to recommend a set of forged CB's to a friend, which one would you recommend? Mizuno MX series, Titlest 775 CB, Hogan Apex Plus/FTX...weigh in with your opinion. Unless your HB, in which case you start a poll. Or if you're strokeguru then you are a pole.
    2 tears in a bucket

I'd go with Mizuno or the new MacGregor's.

I've looked at a ton of Miura's and none of their designs appeal to my eye. Even the pure MB they make (which imo is their nicest design) could be better. They may be among the best but until they up the style over substance a tad more I'll stay away. They need the whole package in my book not JUST performance and heritage. Even the frikken Nike Blades are sexier looking than the Miura's and I hate Nike.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by ripit35
    What's next for Callaway? are they gonna put their name on Ron Jeremy's stick? I won't feel sorry for the jokes that throw an extra $500 into these clubs just for the Callaway name
    Hi

In fact almost every club that comes out of this factory in Japan cost a mimimum £1200 per set so Cally are not on their own

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    I'd go with Mizuno or the new MacGregor's.

I've looked at a ton of Miura's and none of their designs appeal to my eye. Even the pure MB they make (which imo is their nicest design) could be better. They may be among the best but until they up the style over substance a tad more I'll stay away. They need the whole package in my book not JUST performance and heritage. Even the frikken Nike Blades are sexier looking than the Miura's and I hate Nike.
    Neverman, hi

Agree about the Miuras. Have been to be fitted and have had to take more time about the decision.

Apart from the MB Blades the rest were visually uninspiring. That is the difficult part of the Cally Tour Authentic X, i like the look a lot, BUT a grand is a LOT of dosh for a set of Callys

Cant agree about the Nile Blades though, Nike = Inferior Eqpt

Edgey

Thread Hijack!!!!
    If you were going to recommend a set of forged CB's to a friend, which one would you recommend? Mizuno MX series, Titlest 775 CB, Hogan Apex Plus/FTX...weigh in with your opinion. Unless your HB, in which case you start a poll. Or if you're strokeguru then you are a pole.
    Hi Jesse

Titleist AP2 all the way, i got the AP1 and they are VERY good.

Edgey

Thread Hijack!!!!
    Jesse, IMO it depends on your friends handicap. Mizuno MX series is one of the few forged clubs for higher handicaps but has minimal offset and isn't as gigantic and wide soled as most GI clubs. The Titleist AP2s and Mizuno MP52s are both for mid to low cappers, but even a hacker like myself can hit them. KZG makes several models of forged clubs, all of which I hear are nice.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Edgey,

I have posted my opinons on this on the sticky where you originally posted. As Kiwi has said, you are living my wet dream of being given free reign to get fitted for a dream set. as I have said in my post on the other thread, the Cally's look okay but don't quite measure up to 'dream set'. Go with the Miura blades, they are as good a looking set as any blades I've ever laid eyes on. They are the equal of the MP33 in looks, and would have to measure up quality wise too. I can't believe you are even contemplating over a grand for a set of Callaways. Unless of course you want something that will compliment your wedge.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

THE CALLAWAY TOUR AUTHENTIC PROTOTYPE X MUSCLE ARE FORGED IN .....................JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Just to make it worse they are forged in the same factory as forge.........................MIURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

So according to your post you should LOVE these sticks they are after all JAPANESE FORGINGS from the best forging factory in the world.

Edgey
    Careful Edgey

Such a shocking revelation could entirely destroy Omen's self created hubris.

I know you two have had your differences but do you really want to be responsible for his complete ruination?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Jesse, IMO it depends on your friends handicap. Mizuno MX series is one of the few forged clubs for higher handicaps but has minimal offset and isn't as gigantic and wide soled as most GI clubs. The Titleist AP2s and Mizuno MP52s are both for mid to low cappers, but even a hacker like myself can hit them. KZG makes several models of forged clubs, all of which I hear are nice.
    My friends handicap was THTC last time I played with him. He has been taking lessons for about 6 months so I'll bet he can measure his handicap now. I'd guess a 25. His setup and swing were just terrible last time we played. I was thinking more along the T-zoid Comp EZ's but thought I'd throw it around for suggestions. MX series look really good, but I shouldn't let me prejudice for Mizzy's weigh in on my recommendations. What's a reasonable price for Titty AP1/AP2's on Ebay?
    2 tears in a bucket

My friends handicap was THTC last time I played with him. He has been taking lessons for about 6 months so I'll bet he can measure his handicap now. I'd guess a 25. His setup and swing were just terrible last time we played. I was thinking more along the T-zoid Comp EZ's but thought I'd throw it around for suggestions. MX series look really good, but I shouldn't let me prejudice for Mizzy's weigh in on my recommendations. What's a reasonable price for Titty AP1/AP2's on Ebay?
    The AP1s are around 700ish but they are not forged. The AP2s go for around a grand but are forged and come with rifle project x shafts stocks. I'm not Mizzy biased but it seems like the MXs fit your buddy's criteria. I've demoed them all, and I've narrowed them down to AP2, MX200 and MP52. I did NOT like the AP1s.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    The AP1s are around 700ish but they are not forged. The AP2s go for around a grand but are forged and come with rifle project x shafts stocks. I'm not Mizzy biased but it seems like the MXs fit your buddy's criteria. I've demoed them all, and I've narrowed them down to AP2, MX200 and MP52. I did NOT like the AP1s.
    Yeah I think that the AP2/AP1 are out of his price range. Will look at the MX. BTW his girlfriend contacted me about buying him "Golf stuff" and I know that his biggest need is better irons and she's probably not going to spend 700-1000. I'm thinking 100-300 is about right.
    2 tears in a bucket

Yeah I think that the AP2/AP1 are out of his price range. Will look at the MX. BTW his girlfriend contacted me about buying him "Golf stuff" and I know that his biggest need is better irons and she's probably not going to spend 700-1000. I'm thinking 100-300 is about right.
    If he doesn't have his heart set on forged, he can get just about anything on e-bay in that price range older PINGs callys etc. Tell him/ her to try for an e-bay set of MX 25s if he really wants forged.

Oh.. and Edgey.....Get the Miuras. Just put a Lovett logo on them a'la Tiger. Cheers.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Thread Information