|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Center Shafted vs. Heel Shafted Putters?

I have been out test driving putters. Am getting ready to buy one but have not quite made up my mind yet. Am thinking of the Odyssey DFX 1100 or Rossie or the Scottie Red X/X2.

Is there any advantage to a center shafted putter versus a heel shafted putter? I have tried both and am not sure it matters. At least to me anyway.

Anyone?

As if this makes any sense, my experience has been that I make better strokes with a heel-shafted putter, but have an easier time lining up a center-shafted wand. Evidence enough that my putting skills are lacking. BTW, I am currently using a Scotty Red X, and have putted better this year than ever before...
    The Rod
    "Fairways and greens, and don't forget to wave."

Depends on your putting stroke...

Found online:

"Face-balanced putters" are better suited for players with straight-back, straight-through putting strokes. Most mallet and center shafted putters on the market are face-balanced.

"Toe weighted putters" are better suited for players with a "gate" in their stroke, where the face opens up on the backswing and closes on the follow through. Most blade style putters like the Ping Anser, Scotty Cameron Newport, etc. are toe-weighted.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaller
    Found online:

"Face-balanced putters" are better suited for players with straight-back, straight-through putting strokes. Most mallet and center shafted putters on the market are face-balanced.

"Toe weighted putters" are better suited for players with a "gate" in their stroke, where the face opens up on the backswing and closes on the follow through. Most blade style putters like the Ping Anser, Scotty Cameron Newport, etc. are toe-weighted.
    That agrees with the conventional wisdom and my personal experience. Putting is so subjective, though, that there are plenty of exceptions and it comes down to what feels good and works for you. For me, a straight back, straight through putter, a center shafted usually works better.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information