|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Lost "crispness"

I have been hitting okay approach shots lately, but I just haven't been able to hit my irons "crisply" this season very often.

I'm just curious how other players here have got back that crisp feeling with their approach shots. What change(s) were made? It could be as simple as hitting down a little more or maybe the club face isn't quite square at impact...I don't know.
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Crispy" irons

At the start of this golf season, I explained to my swing coach that I needed to "crisp-up" my iron play as I noticed that since I dropped into the scratch flights of big tournaments (index dropped from 5 to 3) most of the better players hit their irons "crisper" than me.
    Whereas I would have a 25 footer, they would be flag hunting.
    After putting me on film, he showed me where I was losing my connection between my body and arms--at the top of the backswing. Once I lost this solid connection, my swing would tend to come in on inconsistent planes, causing me to hit my irons less than solid and without good compression.
    He had me use (and I still use today) The Perfect Angle to help me stop over-traveling my arms and reconnect with my shoulder turn at the top of my swing. Since then my index has dropped to 1.4 and is trending to 1.0.
    The biggest change I've noticed is that my iron shots are half a club longer and my distance control is better, especially with the shorter irons where I can really dial in. Now, Im one of the player's flag hunting instead of trying to make lag length putts all day.
    GRF

i was having trouble too so i was told to raise my hands higher on the backswing and accelerate a lot more through the ball so you get full contact even on a fat shot/

Quote Originally Posted by ForeOnRoad
    I have been hitting okay approach shots lately, but I just haven't been able to hit my irons "crisply" this season very often.

I'm just curious how other players here have got back that crisp feeling with their approach shots. What change(s) were made? It could be as simple as hitting down a little more or maybe the club face isn't quite square at impact...I don't know.
    What do you mean by a lack of crispness do you mean your shots feel slightly week and miss hits are eratic a fade followed by a draw?
    If so id look at your legs and make sure they are staying nice and stable. Or maybee thats just my problem.
    Last edited by AJW; 08-05-2005 at 04:20 PM.

When I want more "crispness", I put it back in the oven for a bit longer.

Ok, that was bad. I know what you mean. Back to fundamentals, straight left arm with a full shoulder turn, start the downswing with the lower body, hands ahead at impact. When I hit irons poorly, it's because I'm all arms and trying to hit the ball instead of making a good swing. Along the same ideas that GRF espouses.
    It's not the Arrow, It's the Indian

Without seeing your swing, it could be a number of things. A few of those things have been stated previously. However, I always like to feel like im extending my arms thru impact. Sometimes after a few too many Driver swings at the range, I have to remind myself to hit down and thru the ball with my irons.

Thread Information