|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shaft "PUREing" by Golfsmith

Has anyone had this done to their new or old clubs? I was looking at several auctions at Ebay and they stated the shaft was "pured". I checked at Golfsmith.com. It cost $45 a shaft for old/exisiting clubs...What's the deal? I have not heard of this process until now.

Quote Originally Posted by echoes77
    Has anyone had this done to their new or old clubs? I was looking at several auctions at Ebay and they stated the shaft was "pured". I checked at Golfsmith.com. It cost $45 a shaft for old/exisiting clubs...What's the deal? I have not heard of this process until now.
    Its said that all golf shafts contain structural irregularities that can cause off-line bending and twisting during the golf swing which can in turn cause off-line shots. Pure Shaft Alignment used computer analysis to determine the most stable movements in the shaft negating irregularities and making the club/shaft perform better. I fitted a replacement shaft in my driver some months ago after the original had snapped and had it 'pured' when it was supplied by Golfsmith. It cost me about £8 (UK pounds) to have it done, it is obviously less expensive on supply because they don't have to take out the old shaft and re-fit it. The new shaft definitely performs better than the original did and if I am to believe the results of the computer ananysis which came with the pured shaft then I can understand why it seems better. The pured shaft came marked up so that it could be properly aligned in the club head.

Yeah....whenever I hit a shot offline, I can just say to myself, "If only you'd had that shaft pured, you wouldn't be in the pits of despair at this moment....."
    I think there is supposed to be a theoretical advantage in graphite shafts to have them "pured". Frankly, I don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference in the real world. I've heard varying opinions, ranging from "somewhat helpful" to "a total waste of money". I really don't know.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Yeah....whenever I hit a shot offline, I can just say to myself, "If only you'd had that shaft pured, you wouldn't be in the pits of despair at this moment....."
    I think there is supposed to be a theoretical advantage in graphite shafts to have them "pured". Frankly, I don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference in the real world. I've heard varying opinions, ranging from "somewhat helpful" to "a total waste of money". I really don't know.

Your'e about right with this thinking, absolutely no evidence that the second shaft was not just a better shaft than the first without being spine aligned , maybe the first one snapped because it was faulty anyway so the second was always going to perform better ! For such a small outlay it was worth a try.

WHile in Myrtle Beach last week, heat index of 115 in the afternoon, one of our foursome tired of being outdriven and decided to have his 460 Launcher, reshafted at Martins. They talked him into having the shaft pured. I would have tried to talk him out of it...but I had never seen or heard of this test. After flexing the shaft several times on a device attached to a computer a printout was produced and the driver shafted. Next day on the course...he was still outdriven. Cost for test was $24.00. I don't think this proceedure makes a bit of difference at our level of play, 12 and 18hc.

Good Luck

Thread Information