|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Ben Hogan forged irons?

Subjective opinion poll: are Ben Hogan forged irons, Apex 50 & FTX, perceived to be as good, in terms of feel and control, as Mizuno's or Titleist's forged irons?

http://www.benhogan.com/products/irons/index.html#p1
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    Subjective opinion poll: are Ben Hogan forged irons, Apex 50 & FTX, perceived to be as good, in terms of feel and control, as Mizuno's or Titleist's forged irons?

http://www.benhogan.com/products/irons/index.html#p1
    Control-wise, I'd put the Hogans up against anything (particularly the mid and short irons in the FTX set). The Apex 50 and FTX are both absolutely outstanding.

As for feel, personally I'd have to put Titleist and Hogan within a hair of each other (with one over the other depending on the particular set in question), and Mizuno at the top by a relatively small margin. All 3 make great irons, but for me that soft Mizuno feel is awful hard to match most of the time. It's close.

I have Hogan Apex 50's and I love them. They took about 8 rounds of golf to get used to but they work great for me. I have hit Mizunos as well and like them but I am very partial to the Hogans...they also look great and set-up nicely.

Hogan Apex Blades

I'm a Hogan Apex Blade user. w/ Rifle 6.0 shafts and I own 3 sets. I like Titleist and Mizuno blades alright but I have always been a Ben Hogan worshiper. Seeing that name when I pull a stick reminds me of the dedication and commitment to the game he provided for so many years.

BTW .....Though I use Rifle shafts the standard Apex shafts that come in Hogan irons are very, very nice shafts too.

Hit them all side by side before you make up your mind.....

Dmarque
    Last edited by Dmarque; 08-09-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Apex 50 vs. Apex FTX?

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarque
    I'm a Hogan Apex Blade user. w/ Rifle 6.0 shafts and I own 3 sets. I like the Titleist and Mizuno alright but I have always been a Ben Hogan worshiper and so seeing that name when I pull a stick reminds me of the dedication and commitment to the game he provided such a great example for so many years.

BTW .....Though I use Rifle shafts the standard Apex shafts that come in Hogan irons are very, very nice shafts too.

Hit them all side by side before you make up your mind.....

Dmarque

thanks. Apex 50 vs. Apex FTX? them FTXes seem like a "compromise" (with it's perimeter weighing on mid and long irons) or a boon to an eager new golfer like myself?

FTX vrs 50s

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    thanks. Apex 50 vs. Apex FTX? them FTXes seem like a "compromise" (with it's perimeter weighing on mid and long irons) or a boon to an eager new golfer like myself?

Hi:

I think most would say that both iron models are for better players. However, the FTX are also used by some pretty talented Tour Pros.....I'd give the nod to anyone with ambition the nod on the FTX irons. The Apex 50s would be best used by someone who already has amassed most of the skills and has no trouble lifting a 3 iron with high boring trajectory.....

I found the FTXs very easy to hit and nicely controllable. The Apex 3 Shaft is regular the Apex 4 is stiff the Apex 5 is extra stiff.

D

I play with the Hogan Apex Plus irons with Rifle 6.0 shafts. I believe the FTX's replaced the Apex Plus irons (or a later version of what I use). Although I used to be a better golfer, I don't get out much and dropped to a 12 handicap (from a 6). I had played 845's for 15 years before switching to the Hogan's and I can honestly say that I've never hit my irons better than I do now. If there is a better forged iron on the market, I would be surprised and eager to try them.

I demoed a set of FTX's before buying my BH-5's. They had great feel and were long when well struck...I liked the feel more than Mizuno and MacGregor forgings. Unfortunately, my game is not there yet, but for a better swinger they would be money.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

Ironman has an enjoyment "death wish" about iron selection. He seems determined to get the most difficult to hit, least forgiving clubs on the planet with the idea that that will improve his game the fastest. ("The FTX's design is a compromise") It's his money; let him have his wish.........
    I'd then suggest something with thin soles, sharp leading edges, pure blades, and Dynamic Gold X300 shafts. Be sure to get the 1 iron, too, and learn to hit that off the fairway. For a driver, I'd recommend a 6 degree loft with an XXX flex 46" shaft. Don't get any hybrids; they're for wimps. Instead, get a 12 degree strong 3 wood, then use the 1 and 2 irons off the fairway instead of more lofted metalwoods..........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    I demoed a set of FTX's before buying my BH-5's. They had great feel and were long when well struck...I liked the feel more than Mizuno and MacGregor forgings. Unfortunately, my game is not there yet, but for a better swinger they would be money.
    I've played the FTX irons for about five months now and love them. I won't say they are exactly "easy" to hit, as I think they are better suited for a solid ball striker. However, the long and mid irons do offer some forgiveness, at least more than a pure blade. The short irons are deadly accurate and the entire set has tremendous feel, so they have my recommendation. I would definitely not recommend them for a high handicapper, spend the money on lessons.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I have tried both Apex blades and FTXs and have settled on the FTXs. The blades were a 1998 vintage and (quite honestly) a little too demanding of my 15 handicap. I could not see myself playing with these irons day in and day out whilst still off double figures. The FTXs are less forgiving than my old set of Edge CFTs but whilst my game could certainly do with work (I do practice and take lessons regularly) if I keep my mind on the job and pay attention to my rythm then they are not that difficult to hit. A sloppy swing will be punished. Interestingly (or not), I have elected to keep the 2,3&4 CFT hybrids in my bag as a replacement for my long irons. Their playability (especially out of the rought) is quite amazing and I see them as more versatile than traditional long irons.

Hogan Apex Blades

Quote Originally Posted by mpkelley20
    I play with the Hogan Apex Plus irons with Rifle 6.0 shafts. I believe the FTX's replaced the Apex Plus irons (or a later version of what I use). Although I used to be a better golfer, I don't get out much and dropped to a 12 handicap (from a 6). I had played 845's for 15 years before switching to the Hogan's and I can honestly say that I've never hit my irons better than I do now. If there is a better forged iron on the market, I would be surprised and eager to try them.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Actually they didn't replace the Apex Plus as such. Hogan made some changes in their line and the first after the Apex Plus was the Apex Edge Pro. These were slightly less offset and a bit less of a cavity back.

Then the next year Hogan introduced the FTX line which was in response to the movement by Nike and others to issue a progressive blade set. The FTX offers even less offset than the Pros but the addition of the CB design starting at the 7 iron and continuing through to the 3 iron. I agree that the FTX is a nice set of clubs and certainly more friendly than my blades to most players .....

I'd buy the FTXs quicker if they hadn't started the CB so early. I would prefer them to be pure blades up through the 5 or even 6 iron and THEN offer the CB design in the 4 and 3 iron. So......I keep my Apex Blades and due to a less rigorous schedule of play THIS year I replaced the 3 iron with a Bridgestone J33 AirMax until next year when I start playing more again.....

Dmarque
    [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]undefined[/FONT][/SIZE[/COLOR]]

Talking i'll be the turtle

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Ironman has an enjoyment "death wish" about iron selection. He seems determined to get the most difficult to hit, least forgiving clubs on the planet with the idea that that will improve his game the fastest. ("The FTX's design is a compromise") It's his money; let him have his wish.........
    I'd then suggest something with thin soles, sharp leading edges, pure blades, and Dynamic Gold X300 shafts. Be sure to get the 1 iron, too, and learn to hit that off the fairway. For a driver, I'd recommend a 6 degree loft with an XXX flex 46" shaft. Don't get any hybrids; they're for wimps. Instead, get a 12 degree strong 3 wood, then use the 1 and 2 irons off the fairway instead of more lofted metalwoods..........
    the irons i'll use to play will be mainly 3~Pw, but i still own or will own 1, 3, 5, & 7 woods and a 3 iron hybrid, along with 1 & 2 irons. i want to learn all the irons. i want steady & realistic improvements. i'll invest in quality pro instructions, practice, and play times...not new irons for every time i shave off 10 or 20 points off my Handicap rating. i've heard there were golfer that started with forged blades and even got good and liked golf. modern forged blades do have some enhancements compared to the blades of old times. when i hit my 6 iron DCI 762, a cast cavity iron, well it's a good feeling, but the feeling's even better with a 690.MB 4 forged blade iron or MacGregor Heritage 5 blade iron...

and that's how i'll have fun with golf: learn all the clubs, but really get to know my irons. now if there's a bet on a game than i'll play conservatively, just to win...other wise, i'll be swinging away with my long irons. i've noticed, i'm almost never the last one the the green, no matter how many strokes i got a take...i don't slow anybody down

so, today i have a mix mash of clubs, my size, to gain an imfomred opinion, then i'll order a set of forged blades, 670s, or MP-33, or a "compromise" set of FTXes. Once i buy 'em i can focus on playing, practicing, and not be concerned about switching irons if i meet my golf goals.

now, my son, well, he's thinking is more into forged perimetered irons. that's fine. that's what i buy him.

aint golf good.

i played today. used my 3 iron once to sucessfully bore under branches, but stayed within 4i to lob w irons. my Hogan forged blades, (Pw & 9i), felt good on the approaches.
    Last edited by ironman; 08-10-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarque
    Hi:

I think most would say that both iron models are for better players. However, the FTX are also used by some pretty talented Tour Pros.....I'd give the nod to anyone with ambition the nod on the FTX irons. The Apex 50s would be best used by someone who already has amassed most of the skills and has no trouble lifting a 3 iron with high boring trajectory.....

I found the FTXs very easy to hit and nicely controllable. The Apex 3 Shaft is regular the Apex 4 is stiff the Apex 5 is extra stiff.

D
    thanks, the FTX with Apex 3 or 4 shaft is the top on my list, followed by Titleist 670s, then MP-33s. my pro want me to wait a few weeks as my swing speed, distance, & accuracy (most important: accuracy!) improves on a weekly basis...so i'll sit tight and learn and enjoy the mix Bag of Tricks i've assembled (which will then be a reserve/guest set)

Thread Information