|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

4 iron vs. Hybrid

I am looking to add a new iron to my set, a 4 iron, but I was showed a hybrid. I liked it but wasn't very consistent. The guy at golfsmith told me to try a 7 wood, but I don't really like woods that much. So should I get the hybrid or the 4 iron?
    [COLOR=Blue]Golfer[/COLOR]: "Well, I have never played this badly before!
    [COLOR=Red]Caddy[/COLOR]: "I didn't realize you had played before, sir."

Quote Originally Posted by Lax4Life102
    I am looking to add a new iron to my set, a 4 iron, but I was showed a hybrid. I liked it but wasn't very consistent. The guy at golfsmith told me to try a 7 wood, but I don't really like woods that much. So should I get the hybrid or the 4 iron?
    Take your time try them out and get whichever club you will hit the most consistently. I've never been able to hit a 3 or 4 iron consistently and about a month and half ago I to some hybrids to replace them. I'm just getting to the point where I'm hitting these club consistently. I can see where I'm going to be able to consitently hit these clubs for distance in a variety of different lies and off the tee. I could never really say that about my 3 and 4 irons.

No shame to hit hybrids, there are tons of great and easy to hit ones out there. If you are borned to hit irons 5 times better than wood, then 4 iron; or if your 5 iron already goes 200+, not sure you need a 4 iron. if you feel like having to grind your teeth and put your body and arms to get a pure 4 iron to 190 yards all the time, then forget about it. I can hit hybrid with my eyes close maybe 9 out of 10, that's why I used it from the start. 4 years later, just able to get the 4 iron to about 170-180 yards, but the same loft hybrid will get me to at least 185, upto 200 yards, with consistent and high flying traj, maybe only about 90% of full power, the choice is obvious.

If at all possible, demo before you decide. Also, hybrids aren't a single, homogenous group. Some have more or less offset. Others are heel weighted to fight slices/promote a draw; others are neutral weighted. Some have floppy OEM shafts; others have good OEM shafts.

It amuses me when I hear people say things on the board like, "I can't hit hybrids; they are hook machines", or "Hybrids make me hit the ball too high." It's all about the individual head and shaft, and generalizations like that are way too broad. ("I don't like brown dogs; they are mean".......)

Bottom line? Most (but certainly not all) people will have better success with a well chosen hybrid than their 3 and /or 4 irons. But you may need to demo different hybrids; don't assume they're all the same.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I play off a 15 handicap and bought 3 & 4 hybrids (Hogan Edge CFTs) to replace my long irons. I don't regret my decision for an instant. For me they are much easier to hit and have proven more versatile than the 3 & 4 iron. Out of light to medium rough I am less penalised distance wise. I have even had success out of fairway bunkers.

I have the same 2 hybrids in my bag right now. I tended to hook the Taylormades, particularly with stock shafts. I reshafted my Hogans with True Temper Crossfires, a lightweight steel shaft that feels a lot like graphite, but I find easier to control.

ya, I have demoed the TM mid, but I didn't really like that, although it did have a nice high ball flight, it wasn't very consistent. I also like the halo, that would be my top choice. But I am a lefty so my choices are sorta limited. I am going tonite to try some more, I'll tell you which one I chose if i do.

ya, I have demoed the TM mid, but I didn't really like that, although it did have a nice high ball flight, it wasn't very consistent. I also like the halo, that would be my top choice. But I am a lefty so my choices are sorta limited. I am going tonite to try some more, I'll tell you which one I chose if i do.
    For what it's worth, the Hogans are available in #2-5 in left handed models. (19, 21, 24, and 27 degree lofts).
    http://www.benhogan.com/products/hybrids/index.html#p1

4i

personally i like irons better they give you more controll. also the hybrids are more like hitting woods and if you dont like the way the woods feel theen the hybrids are not for you

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    personally i like irons better they give you more controll. also the hybrids are more like hitting woods and if you dont like the way the woods feel theen the hybrids are not for you
    By all means do what works best for you. The fact that you hit long irons better isn't surprising. The shorter shafts make them a bit easier to control for some people.
    Your approach is logical. However, something that amuses me no end is people who don't want to play hybrids just because they feel hybrids aren't macho enough to salve their fragile egos. What a joke; I guess a lot of PGA tour pros aren't macho then.......

a 4 iron and a hybrid are very different in distances, i have a 4i and just retired my hbrid to fit it in but hasnt really helped or hurt my game.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1

Hybrids v Long Irons

I know what you mean. I bought the TM mid when they first came out and everybody was raving about it. Bloody awful club in my hands althuough I am sure that it worked for many other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Benguk
    a 4 iron and a hybrid are very different in distances, i have a 4i and just retired my hbrid to fit it in but hasnt really helped or hurt my game.
    Again, that is much too broad of a generalization.
    What I have found personally (and this has been confirmed by lots of posts on different boards, too) is that the Taylormade Rescue Mids hit 1/2 to 1 club longer than the stated iron equivalent. The Hogans are just about dead on for iron replacements. If your experience differs, then you have to take it into account. The point is to have clubs that cover the distances with smooth transitions, not to have a set of clubs with numbers on the club that "make sense". If a #4 hybrid hits the equivalent of your 3 iron, use it to replace the 3 iron, not the 4 iron. I think that would seem logical to me........

I just like the feel of an iron better than that of a wood. I can't really hit a 4 iron so I think I am gonna go with the hybrid. I've tried the Hogan the other day and it is really consistent and fairly straigfht. i might just go with the Hogans.

I just like the feel of an iron better than that of a wood. I can't really hit a 4 iron so I think I am gonna go with the hybrid. I've tried the Hogan the other day and it is really consistent and fairly straigfht. i might just go with the Hogans.
    so you can hit a wood nicely off the fairway though right?

I played a Taylor Made Rescue Mid in 19* and 25*, a Rescue TP in 19*, and now a Rescue Dual TP in 22* and never had any 'hooking' issues. Ball would come off the club face hot, fly straight, and land and pratically check on command. Hmm...

I like hitting long irons personally but I've heard a lot of good things about rescue or hybrid clubs.

I enjoy hitting the long irons as well.

Hybrids will play one club more than their iron equivalent. Ex. a 3-Hybrid would play the distance of a 2 iron.

A couple good hybrids are Taylormade Rescue, Nike CPR, Cleveland HALO, Ben Hogan CTF
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    I enjoy hitting the long irons as well.

Hybrids will play one club more than their iron equivalent. Ex. a 3-Hybrid would play the distance of a 2 iron.

A couple good hybrids are Taylormade Rescue, Nike CPR, Cleveland HALO, Ben Hogan CTF
    Did i hear nike who have 4 different types of hybrids, cpr hybrid irons and wedges, the procombo utilty iron, The cpr iron-wood and the cpr wood like swoosh back hybrid?

You have no right to be promoting Nike, they dropped your contract since all the Snake Eyes equipment has leaked into your bag.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Thread Information