|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Backspin

Backspin

I shoot in the high 80's and i think i am ready for backspin... any tips on how to exicute this shot? So far the only good tip ive gotten is to try to hit the ball and take a divot in front of the ball. Is there anything else... Ball position, follow through, backswing, downswing?

-Thanks

I still can't put any decent backspin on a ball, but can get 'em to stop quick.

One word- hieght.

spankdoggie Guest
    (cut and paste)

In order to impart noticeable backspin on a golf ball it is imperative to hit the ball prior to taking a divot. This means the club is descending and contacting the ball as it is traveling toward the ground. When done properly you should notice your divot will begin somewhere ahead of where the back side of the ball was prior to the shot. The further ahead of this point the divot begins indicates the amount of spin placed upon the ball.

The short form technical description of why this causes backspin on the ball goes something like this: The groves of the face of the club grab the ball on the way down pulling the back of the ball towards the ground while the face of the club impacts the back of the ball providing it the required forward momentum. As such the ball is flying through the air with the backspin that will assist in offsetting the forward momentum once the ball hits the ground (hopefully the green) causing it to check up and impress all your friends.

When in the rough, applying backspin to the ball becomes much more difficult because of the extra give of the longer grass beneath the ball. As the club descends on the ball and the groves grab the surface the ball it moves with the downward blow into the rough a fraction of a second prior to beginning its flight towards the intended target thus reducing the spin placed on the ball.

Although it is fairly obvious from the discussion above, it is prudent to mention that the grooves on the face of your clubs should be clear of debris (i.e. dirt, sand, mud, etc.) in order for the grooves to have any edge on them which is really what grabs the ball at impact.
    Last edited by spankdoggie; 12-16-2003 at 09:54 AM.

Yeah, i read what u pasted... but is that all there is too it? Ive tried that, its pretty tough!

spankdoggie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DaCroosh
    Yeah, i read what u pasted... but is that all there is too it? Ive tried that, its pretty tough!
    Backspin is over rated. Getting close to the hole is what is important, not backspin. One needs to have a great swing, and a pretty high swing speed to generate back spin...

Have you tried rusting your wedges? ;)

Spankie gave you the perfect answer. 95% of amatuer golfers don't get the ball near the hole on their approach shots. So, why would they need backspin. To paraphrase a movie staring Jack Nickelson: Backspin, Backspin, you can't handle the backspin!!!!!!

spankdoggie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by omeletpants
    Spankie gave you the perfect answer. 95% of amatuer golfers don't get the ball near the hole on their approach shots. So, why would they need backspin. To paraphrase a movie staring Jack Nickelson: Backspin, Backspin, you can't handle the backspin!!!!!!
    True, to quote a man with a 3 at the end of his name: "Get thee to a nunnery."

No wait it was: "Get thee to a swing coach."

Seriously, backspin depends on so many factors that it honestly cannot be accomplished consciously. One either has it or does not have it. It would take years to develop it, and it is not an overnight endeavor.

Great question, though.

I agree with omeletpants.

On your approach shots are you regularly short of the hole or do you bomb it over more often? If you are short (as most are) you don't need backspin, your ball will simply suck off of the green or at least away from the hole leaving you a longer putt. Backspin is a great effect that may impress your friends but if it doesn't improve your game you'd be better off working on your chipping and putting. They will bring your handicap down.

Krafty1
    The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course.
    -- Billy Graham

yes i know its not really a relivant shot that i need.. but im curious... anything else besides what was originally posted.

Forget backspin, it is a result of a good shot so just make sure you make your best swing and backswing will follow as a result of quality contact.

Unless you are past the hole you don't need it and 90% of amateurs are short of the hole.

One tip tho, keep your head behind the ball.

Not sure...

I shoot in the high 80's and i think i am ready for backspin... any tips on how to exicute this shot? So far the only good tip ive gotten is to try to hit the ball and take a divot in front of the ball. Is there anything else... Ball position, follow through, backswing, downswing?

-Thanks
    You shouldn't be spending your time more usefully by improving your putting/chipping/driving/short irons/long irons/mid irons/bunker shots etc. but what the heck. Two things...1) play it a bit back in your stance and hit down sharply 2) sharp grooves

A new wedge(quality like Cleveland, Titleist, etc) will have the edges of the grooves quite sharp. Sharp to the point where when the ball is hit will shave off some of the cover. Now remember it works best when there is nothing that can get between the ball and the clubface. Good luck. I still think you'd be better off learning to control the flight of your ball or perfecting a drop shot.

No one has mentioned this yet, but make sure the ball that you're playing is a high-spin ball. That'll help a bunch.

I already said i know it wasnt really a relative shot and that i probably dont need it. But i know how to do just about everything else but that, haha. Trust me i spend plenty of time on all aspects of my game.

spankdoggie Guest
    I already said i know it wasnt really a relative shot and that i probably dont need it. But i know how to do just about everything else but that, haha. Trust me i spend plenty of time on all aspects of my game.
    But you know what DaCroosh? You got some pretty honest answers about backspin, and they are all correct answers and in agreement. You can go to any forum on the internet, and you would not get better answers. Golfreview.com has all the answers; one just needs to ask...

Anyways, for us hackers to try to get backspin is like nerds trying to get girls, jackasses trying to get employed, and those with "Hack" in their names trying to break 90...

Now go up top and start a new link with another honest question.

Too many are scared to post here, and you, DaCroosh, are not.

Ask away.

Crooshy, sounds like you already know what you want to hear? Wonder why you even asked the question?

spankdoggie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by omeletpants
    Crooshy, sounds like you already know what you want to hear? Wonder why you even asked the question?
    Crooshy?

Crooshy...

I like it!

Get a sleeve of Top Flite XL3000 Super Spin balls.
    Just wait one minizzle!

Well actually, in my original post i said i only had one tip about it. i was just wondering if there was anything else. I think i got enough good answers though, thanks!

play a high spin ball like already mentioned. and secondly if you make crisp contact with the ball back spin will happen. this isn't a talent that you can automatically make happen like learning a punch shot. just to reitterate. you absolutely have to make perfect crisp contact with the ball for it to spin.
    9.5 nike 350: grafalloy blue stiff 46.5''
    14.5 titleist 975
    690 mb 3-pw
    vokey 52 raw
    vokey 58; bent 56 raw
    vokey oil can 60; spinner
    maxfli tad moore tm-5
    handicap: 2.9

You also need soft grip pressure and a decending blow. If you sweep the ball you wont get as much backspin. The soft grip pressure allows you release your hands better through impact. Also play the ball back in your stance for a decending blow.

i sometimes hit a shot at back pin positions where i play a 1/2 shot, ball back, early break of the wrists and drive through the ball. one hop and the ball stops. The secret is to feel like you trap the ball and then release your hands. i think thats what you mean more than actual back spin.

Don't mind SD or OP knocking you for asking. One cant break 90 and the other is a sort of alter ego, eventhough they are 2 different people.
    In my Bag

Taylormade R580XD 9.5* Grafalloy Blue S
    Mizuno Mp001 3w GrafalloyTour blue S
    Tm Rescue no.2 16* Prolaunch HY Blue S

4-pw TourStage z101 Dynamic gold s300
    Tm Rac Tp 56.2 black y cutter
    Lw - Vokey Oilcan 260.08
    Dfx 2 ball blade. 34"

Backspin

Besides the choice of ball I believe offset of your irons also matters when trying to get backspin. The less offset you have, the more spin you will be able to get.

In my oppinion backspin cannot be learned, though. The only thing that will get you backspin consistently is hitting the ball well.

I agree with what has been said, too: what matters is getting the ball close to the pin. I heard this joke the other day:

Golfer: "How can I get backspin?"
    Golfpro: "Hm, how far do you hit your 5 iron?"
    Golfer: "About 140 yards"
    Golfpro: "So why would you want the ball to roll back?"

Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

golflefty made a good point above,the less offset your irons are the more spin you will get,so if you got blades your on the right track.Mine are slightly offset (tommy armour 845 V-31's) but when i get some new irons soon i'll be going for blades.
    Last edited by shawn10240; 12-22-2003 at 06:12 PM.

Thread Information