|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Moment when you loved golf the most...

I though this would be a cool idea for a thread. When is the moment you were glad that you play golf the most.

A little backround. My high school team is the #1 sports high school in New York state. We haven't lost a golf match in 8 years. So, me playing the number 1 spot, I was last to come in. This particular day, I could see the guys crowded around the last green waiting for our group to come up. I knew this meant one of two things. One.. there was free food. Two... I needed to win my match so we would continue the streak. The guy I had been playing with BLEW UP. I'm talking about thrown clubs, duffed shots, terrible day for the guy, water OB's.. I was winning by 21 strokes going into the 9th hole. I just took a moment on the fairway to stop and smile, because I knew I had won it for us. I 4-putted on the green just to give my coach a heart attack, then broke the news after.

That was a joke the following year.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Today...

Second time on an 18 hole

After messing around for almost a month...

LAST WEEK: 147

August 15, 2005 121

Feeling really good about my newb ass score

Last Monday - I played in a scramble w/ my 78 year old dad and 3 brothers. Didn't win,
    but we all had good shots and my dad hit a 180 yd. second shot into a par
    5 to within 5 feet. And I almost had my 1st ace w/ a driver on a 240-yd par
    3. Beer was cold, cigars were good...

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC
    Last Monday - I played in a scramble w/ my 78 year old dad and 3 brothers. Didn't win,
    but we all had good shots and my dad hit a 180 yd. second shot into a par
    5 to within 5 feet. And I almost had my 1st ace w/ a driver on a 240-yd par
    3. Beer was cold, cigars were good...
    Oh I forgot - and a carload of teenagers went by our tee hollering as we hit, and almost
    got out to fight when we m.f.'d them; then thought better of it. Classic stuff...

I was 17 and playing in my dad's annual union scramble w/ my dad, my younger brother and my best friend. We were playing the 18th hole (par 5) with the other 15-20 groups watching from the clubhouse. My brother and I both bombed drives off the tee about 280-290, his in fairway and mine in the trees (ahead 20 yds.). We took his tee shot, and we all took our shots at the green from about 250 out. My best friend kills a 3 wood up to the front of the green, giving us a chance at eagle.

My brother then rips his 3 wood up onto the green about 25 feet, and we hear the guys at the clubhouse start to cheer. I then pull out my 1 iron (used to carry it, thought I was a lefty Nickaluas) and hit the best shot I may have ever hit, knocking it stiff to just inches away. We again hear all the guys at the clubhouse cheering (and cussing) and we knew it was good. We all drive up to the green, and my dad's just laughing and grinning from ear to ear. The rest of us stay in our carts while my dad goes up and calmly taps in our eagle putt. We finished 2nd that day, 1 stroke back, but won all the skins for the tourney which meant a great steak dinner all around.

That day especially, and the other years we played in the tourney are my fondest memories in golf. We always played well there, and always had a blast doing it. I only wish I could still have those moments.

Certainly not at any time this season...very poor year for me overall.

I think the first year I moved here to the Salt Lake area was when I enjoyed golf the most. Moving halfway across the country from San Antonio just to enjoy life anywhere in the country I picked was a beautiful thing. Playing Bountiful Ridge the first morning I was here was an amazing experience. It's 8 years later now (exactly) and I still enjoy the area very much, but I would like to experience that thrill again of living and playing in such a great "new" place.
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

greed is good, but don't be a pig

yesterday early morning, it's foggy in the canyons.
    205 yards par three hole #7 at Tilden Park, Berkeley CA from the white (regular) tee
    after munching on a few wild blackberries by the creek
    i tee of with my 3-wood 15* Strong, hits solid and straight, with ease of effort.
    carrys 205 yards, rolls 5 yards, on the green.
    first time having to repair my own ball mark.
    put within inches, then hole in for my 3rd par of my golfing life. i'm still looking for my first "feathers."
    my buddy says, hey that was three perfect swings.
    my best hole. loving golf.

later, on the back nine i swept my #1 iron for the first and only time on a fairway:
    got 165 yards, light divot - no dirt, just shaved grass, ball flys low to about 10 yards from the green. i acutally enjoyed this one swing the best.

game unraveled on hole 14 for 12 swings..ouch. but i learned about course management: get off the muddly OB slopes with one safe swing back on the fairway instead of hacking with #4 & #5 irons too many times towards the pin. kind of like stock trading...greed is good, but don't be a pig (and wallow in the mud).
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    yesterday early morning, it's foggy in the canyons.
    205 yards par three hole #7 at Tilden Park, Berkeley CA from the white (regular) tee
    after munching on a few wild blackberries by the creek
    i tee of with my 3-wood 15* Strong, hits solid and straight, with ease of effort.
    carrys 205 yards, rolls 5 yards, on the green.
    first time having to repair my own ball mark.
    put within inches, then hole in for my 3rd par of my golfing life. i'm still looking for my first "feathers."
    my buddy says, hey that was three perfect swings.
    my best hole. loving golf.

later, on the back nine i swept my #1 iron for the first and only time on a fairway:
    got 165 yards, light divot - no dirt, just shaved grass, ball flys low to about 10 yards from the green. i acutally enjoyed this one swing the best.

game unraveled on hole 14 for 12 swings..ouch. but i learned about course management: get off the muddly OB slopes with one safe swing back on the fairway instead of hacking with #4 & #5 irons too many times towards the pin. kind of like stock trading...greed is good, but don't be a pig (and wallow in the mud).
    Congrats on the par, but I'm curious... what the heck are you doing with a 1-iron in your bag?

I don't have one favorite moment where I loved golf the most...but I do always like when the birdie putt drops on 18.

my favorite is when i drained a 30 footer for my first birdiee

The day I shoot par or better. It is coming, soon.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime
    The day I shoot par or better. It is coming, soon.
    whats ur best so far

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfanbob
    Congrats on the par, but I'm curious... what the heck are you doing with a 1-iron in your bag?

thank you, Cubfanbob.

my St.AndrewsUSA 1-iron's a hand-me-down from wife's mother's husband.
    curiosity got me to have it in my mixed bag.
    that phrase "path least traveled is path that made all the difference" got me to swing it in a middle of a game.
    1-iron's shorter and and more lofted, approx 18*, than a 3-wood and my last 3-wood swing on a fairway was "painful" so i thought i'd give it a go.
    if i ever get good enough to not embarass my selff in local golf tournements in the future, i may leave that cleek in the truck.
    Last edited by ironman; 08-15-2005 at 12:02 PM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Benguk
    whats ur best so far
    1 over a couple of times and 2 over more times then I care to remember. Was even par in the middle of the 18th fairway with a wedge in my hands once and ended 2 over. Have been under par for 9's but never 18.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime
    1 over a couple of times and 2 over more times then I care to remember. Was even par in the middle of the 18th fairway with a wedge in my hands once and ended 2 over. Have been under par for 9's but never 18.
    thats unfortunate, any day now u will shoot 72/70

Thread Information