|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Beginner Irons

Beginner Irons

Well this is my first post on this forum and I have to say this is the best golf forum I have seen.
    Now, I started playing Golf around May this year. I have never played a full 18 but I try to play a 9-Hole Par 3 atleast 3 times a week. I don't know my swing speed or handicap. I use a very old set of irons that I picked up at a grage sale. I am really in the need of new irons but not sure what kind to get. I was thinking of getting a hybrid too. I would like to spend right around 600 on a set of Irons and a Hybrid. I hit my 9 Iorn around 90-100 yards and have no problem of gettign the ball in the air.

Thanks,
    Dups

Wow...tough question. There are so may good iron sets out there that it would be hard to pick just one. You need to figure out what your goal is first, that it, determine how much help you want from the irons. If you want complete forgiveness, you will probably end up with some oversized cavity back iron. If you want to perfect your swing, you may choose a more traditional club that requires more skill and provides less forgiveness.

Once you determine that, you should go to a range or course with a range that has a good amount of demo clubs to try. As long as you are right handed (unlike me) most places should cater nicely to you. Most places have a club fitting program for free that can best match your swing, skill level, and goals.

Taking a recommending from someone on a specific set without seeing your swing and knowing your goals is probablay not the best idea.

Good luck with your search and please update us on your final decision.. And welcome to the world of Golf....you are about to neglect many other things in your life while perfecting your game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dups31
    Well this is my first post on this forum and I have to say this is the best golf forum I have seen.
    Now, I started playing Golf around May this year. I have never played a full 18 but I try to play a 9-Hole Par 3 atleast 3 times a week. I don't know my swing speed or handicap. I use a very old set of irons that I picked up at a grage sale. I am really in the need of new irons but not sure what kind to get. I was thinking of getting a hybrid too. I would like to spend right around 600 on a set of Irons and a Hybrid. I hit my 9 Iorn around 90-100 yards and have no problem of gettign the ball in the air.

Thanks,
    Dups
    hi dups - welcome to the greatest game ever invented. it's hard to say a specific brand
    of irons would work for you; just make sure they're cavity-backed, not blades.
    where i come from, the golf stores sometimes have used sets that you can hit
    while you're there. if $600.00 is your limit, don't let them work you. also they'll
    try to talk you out of an old name-brand set, and into a new off-brand; because
    they get commision/ or more commission out of the "pro line sets". if possible,
    go with the name brand. think about a driver too, and good luck...

Nike Slingchedder lol jk........ Nike Slingshot Irons or Nike Pro Combo OS irons will be what you will buy... agreed?

be forewarned....

Be forewarned that if you asked for a brand of condoms Benguk would recommend Nike. We all think he is a company hack in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC
    whaddya trying to do, hynotize him, benguk?
    you will buy the irons repeat, i will buy the Nike irons, say with me now, the irons are the best...... stare at the swoosh rocking back and forth...

whaddya trying to do, hynotize him, benguk?

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC
    I will buy the Nike condoms... dammit benguk!

mu hahahahahha..... swoosh condoms ("Just Do It")

Quote Originally Posted by Benguk
    you will buy the irons repeat, i will buy the Nike irons, say with me now, the irons are the best...... stare at the swoosh rocking back and forth...
    I will buy the Nike condoms... dammit benguk!

Quote Originally Posted by golf-addict
    Nike pro combo (Jason Core uses combo tour?), bit more demanding, but you will groove your swing better to start with, $300+/-.
    \.
    Jason Gore does use the Pro Combo tours but i think he should use the OS or the 04' model and he will get the tours as he progresiss the combos will progress with him, they are ment for you, buy them, they are ment for all....

Best to find a store or range to demo, you will be able to feel them first hand. From your distance, regular steel would work just fine.

Might be worth to have some pro do some fitting if you are not average height etc

Adams GT2 undercut irons (Not the set with wood/driver), set of 10, 3-LW, midsize but very forgiving, have all you need for about $150-$200.
    Nike pro combo (Jason Core uses combo tour?), bit more demanding, but you will groove your swing better to start with, $300+/-.
    Mizuno MX-20 or MX-23, very easy to hit

I'd try to keep away from those thick top and sole irons, you won't get any feedback from those. Down the road, you might want to start playing blade. If you are patient enough, you start right off with blade (Nike pro combo would be rated as mid-small head size, would be a good choice)

I used a set of irons by Giant Golf (gone already, similar to Cobra SSi, cost around $60-80), but thought Adams GT2 undercut are more forgiving.

Start with 5-PW, try to hit hybrid or wood off the mat( grass would be better), lessons perhaps (some other thread talking about starter in depth). Ebay will be your friend.

if i were you I would take this promotion from NIke. You get CPR set plus a day worth of lesson.

http://www.espngolfschools.com/begin...cffe1b1434aa46

JUST DO IT AHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH folopolutinaty hahhhahahahah ahhhhhhh

Let me tell you I can highly reccommend the Cleveland TA5's, especially in the gunmetal. They are VERY forgiving, but you can shape shots if you want. I played with them for 3 years, they brought down my handicap down from off the charts to a 5.

A+
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Cavity backs with regular flex shafts.
    There are so many models that it would be impossible to list them all. As im not sure how much new sets go for in the US so I'll just list some of the major manufactures discontinued cavity backs, each of these sets offers a nice balance between forgiveness and workability they are easy to hit but will be usable for years to come even if you become much better and start wanting to work the ball. All prices are for second hand sets.
    Cobra SSI $250
    Cleveland TA5 $210
    Callaway X-14 $290
    Mizuno MX-20 $280
    Ping Zing2 $300
    Ping eye 2+ $280
    Taylor made 200 $180
    Titliest 822 $250.
    Last edited by AJW; 08-17-2005 at 03:32 PM.

I was looking at the Taylor Made OS2 and the Celeveland TA6. I tihnk a Oversized head is a must. IA was wondering what you guys thought about graphite shafts vs. steel. I went to the pro shop after work today and hit with both the OS2 and TA6 in steel. I recently bought my girlfriend a set with graphite and love the 6 Iron. It match length with my 9. I hit the 6 Iron farther and straighter. Would I get the same effect on a regualr flex in mens graphite irons?

I have the taylor made lt irons and i love them. I had the tm 300 irons before these and going to the lt's is like night and day. You can shape a shot...they look like blades but are a cavity back iron. i played the tm os2s for a round before buying the lts and they will fit a beginners game just fine. Instead of the os 2s i would buy a set of os new on ebay for 350.00 and still have 250.00 for other clubs in my bag. Everyone who has the os model can't tell any difference between the os and os2.

I was wondering what you guys thought about graphite shafts vs. steel. I went to the pro shop after work today and hit with both the OS2 and TA6 in steel. I recently bought my girlfriend a set with graphite and love the 6 Iron. It match length with my 9. I hit the 6 Iron farther and straighter. Would I get the same effect on a regualr flex in mens graphite irons?
    IMHO, graphite can be kind of fragile for a beginner, I broke several graphite shafts my first 5 years I played. I would go to the range & find out which 6 iron you hit best, then pick up a set on ebay for a fraction of what the range would gouge you for. It may be worth the $25 the range charges to fit you, that doesn't mean you have to buy their clubs.

Another thing, I would look at the less expensive clubs with regular flex, as you get better, you'll probable upgrade in 2 or 3 years. Find your swing & learn to make solid contact before you spend the big money. Your girlfriend's clubs are probable ladies flex, so I think the equivalent would be a senior flex in men's clubs.

I think you have a good idea with the hybrid club, or maybe a good 5 wood with a steel shaft, it took me a few years before I could hit a driver further than a 5 wood because of the huge slice.

I guess it all boils down to your ability to pick it up. I'm giving advice based on someone who is athletically challenged (myself). I've had friends who have taken up the game & could out drive me within a couple of weeks (bastards), that can be remedied by convincing them to take a few lessons. ;)

Edit: A 6 iron should go about 30 yards further than a 9 iron
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will go with the TA6 and HALO Hybrid with a steel shaft. Just need to decide Graphite or Steel on the Irons.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will go with the TA6 and HALO Hybrid with a steel shaft. Just need to decide Graphite or Steel on the Irons.
    Unless you have an orthopedic need for graphite (arthritis or frequent tendinitis), I'd go with steel. It gives a little more control, is a lot cheaper (there are exceptions), and at least for me, it helps me control my tempo better than graphite.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Unless you have an orthopedic need for graphite (arthritis or frequent tendinitis), I'd go with steel. It gives a little more control, is a lot cheaper (there are exceptions), and at least for me, it helps me control my tempo better than graphite.

Normally im very much in agreement withy Dorkman but I just want to stick up for graphite. Its true that early graphite shafts suffered in comparison to steel but over the last fifteen years or so graphite has come on in leaps and bounds and is now I believe comparable to steel in terms of performance. Having said that there is no compelling reason to go with graphite unless you have joint pain, a need to carry as light a load as possible or the extra money involved is so small as to be irrelevant to you.
    Last edited by AJW; 08-18-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Today I went to the range and hit with some TA6 Irons with a Dynamic Gold Steel Shaft, I loved the feel. They fitted me and I should have my new TA6's within a few weeks. Thanks for all the help guys.

Today I went to the range and hit with some TA6 Irons with a Dynamic Gold Steel Shaft, I loved the feel. They fitted me and I should have my new TA6's within a few weeks. Thanks for all the help guys.
    that is ver good, it will help your game, but im just wondering for you what did they have to change from standard in the fitting?

They added a 1/2" on the shaft.

Thread Information