|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

ping fitting issue

Howdy,

New poster and all. ;)

I've been playing for 6 years. My handicap is currently a 9.4(as of 8/5). Its been as low as 7 and its currently rising. After 6 years of playing with Callaway X-12 irons, I finally had to replace them about two months ago. My short irons have been extremely well used and the final straw was losing my pw out at Bethpage. I went to several demo days and decided on Ping irons. So I scheduled my custom fitting sessions at a demo day nearby.

I was very excited. I was there for several hours making sure I tried just about everything. After we narrowed it down, I was hitting the ball extremely well. When we were done I ordered the irons (a mix of G2s and S59s). One month and 10 rounds later, I couldn't be more disappointed. I have no idea what I did at that fitting session but I just can't get comfortable with the new irons. The 4-7 iron are G2s. They are 2 deg upright and 1/2 inch long. My 4 iron used to be my go to club on short par 4's when I needed to be in the fairway. Every shot is now dead right. The club face is wide open (can tell from the tee mark on the bottom of the club face). The 5-7 irons are short and right. I'm also one club shorter on full swing shots. The short irons are S59s and are 1 deg upright and 1/2 inch long. I have been pulling all of those short irons left. Distance is still about one club shorter.

I am not comfortable and my confidence is all but shot. My gut feeling is that the clubs are too long and too upright. However if that was the case, wouldn't my misses be left?
    I know that ping can adjust the lie but what about the length? How do I find out if thats the problem? Any suggestions appreciated. A fter spending all of that money, I'm at a loss what to do next but I'm starting to want to put the old clubs back in the bag.

And to make matters worse... in the ultimate boneheaded move of my life I managed to bend the shaft of the 9iron trying something stupid in the woods. So at the very least, I'm paying for a new shaft.

jay

Do you still have your X-12's? If so, you might go back to them to get your comfort level back. Then try the Pings again, and if they still aren't the ticket, move back to teh Callaways or move on in a different direction.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Shouldn't be the lie angle.....a more upright lie promotes a Draw, flatter promotes a Fade.

My fitting went like this, I was hitting everything solid too. However on the impact tape on the face, I was hitting the clubhead between the hosel and the sweet spot and, get this. On the sole tape, I was hitting the board on the very toe of the club. Sound normal? The kicker is, I am only 5'6". Figure that one out.

I through out the lie angle part of the fitting and went with the shaft flex and length suggestions (Z-Z65 (stiff), 1/2" under standard). Went with Standard (Black) lie angles. Hit them solid and straight!!

First thing id do is go and hit some shots with clubs you know you can hit the X12s and decide if its a swing issue or if it really is the clubs. If it is the clubs then ring Ping and tell them that you feel you have been incorrectly fitted they will probably arrange for another fitting with another retailer and if he comes out with different specs the clubs will go back to ping for bending into new lie angels and shortening and regriping. I dont know if Ping will charge for this or wave it based on an incorrect fitting they have a good reputation for customer support.
    Good luck and let us know how they treat you
    Last edited by AJW; 08-19-2005 at 04:48 AM.

You guys are too good, not sure my 20+'s opinion would be counted.

I hit X-12 a few years back, demo different irons quite often. Ping is the only brand I can't hit very well (Other than HL-3/4, hit like hybrids anyway). I think the Ping's weighting profile on irons are quite different from others (I heard some other partners mentioned they either like them or hate them, nothing in between), possiblely more toe weighted than most of other irons. That would make the fitting (lie angle and length) quite different from other sets.

I'd try some X-14 and X-16, extension of what you got used to, if not original X-12.

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with a set of i-3s. I got them fitted 2* flat and with stiff Ping shafts. I'm 5' 10" so pretty much Mr average in terms of measurment etc. Anyhow after the fitting I was in fade hell and lost at least a clubs worth of distance throughout the entire set. I had them bent back to standard lie and changed the shaft to regular and soon I was back to my usual slight draw.

However this horrible experience and misfitting damaged my opinion of Ping forever. Soon after I traded my I3s for a set of Mizuno MP-30s and now I'm hitting the best iron shots of my life. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do.

Thread Information