|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best beginner set? Please help me get started!

My brother, my uncle and my co-workers golf and my girlfriend is constantly telling me I need some exercise.. Ive decided to give golf a shot and since my brother just started last month Ive got someone to practice along side of.

Ive been doing online and ebay price shopping for about 3 days straight now and have come up with a few ideas but Im also looking for input.

Ive never golfed before so I also plan to take a few lessons. Ive been convinced I need an oversides set and my starter budget is $100-$300. I realize this isnt much but Im not sure how far this will go and I dont want to ruin some $1000 clubs.

Im 6'1 so I assume normal length is what I want and I weigh about 210lbs. Im not sure about stiff or regular shaft so Im assuming regular.

So far Ive found 4 options.

Option #1

This is a RAM Oversized complete set. Its the cheapest of my options but this gets me everything I need to get started at $129. The only downfall I see here is possibly the driver size is 330cc and I think maybe bigger would be better for me starting out.

Option #2

Another complete set but its twice the $$ sitting at $299, however it does have a bigger driver (445cc) and instead of a 3-4 iron it includes some hybrid clubs. This is a Wilson CounterTorque set.

Option #3

This is the RAM FX3 set. Its not complete as its lacking a bag and a putter (compared to the first 2 options I listed), but its the midway set I was leaning towards. It has a slightly bigger driver (400cc) and is labeled a very forgiving set (although all of them say that). Its oversized and price at $139. I figure $50 for a bag and $20 for a putter puts me a little over $200.

Option #4

This last option is the most expensive so it is definately my last option, but Im curious if its my best option or if its just too much $$. Its a Tommy Armour 845 Vault Iron set thats listed for $169. I would need a bag, woods, and a putter to complete this set so Im over $300 but Im thinking it would be the best quality set, however again it may be way more than I need having never played golf before. The Vault series was apparently replaced by the 845u series. This is upposed to be the biggest game improvement set Armour makes.

Now while I have 4 options listed here, they may very well not be one of the best options for me, so here Ive come in search of answers. Ill check back every few hours to reply to any other questions I may have forgot to answer here.

TIA,

Tim

P.S. Any thoughts on clones? Pine Meadow Golf seems to have a lot of stuff in my price range
    Last edited by timmarchant; 04-11-2004 at 08:41 AM.

I can't say from experience what set to buy, but I still maintain that the larger the driver doesn't alwas mean that it performs better than a small headed driver.

I started golfing when I was 5 with a cut off persimmon Ping driver. It was pretty beat up. My first metal wood that I cared about was a Callaway Warbird driver that I still have to this day. I don't use it anymore because I get more distance from my Hawkeye and I passed it on to my brother's bag, but it really isn't much bigger than the Warbird.
    I still enjoy the feel of that club off the face. Even miss hits it seems to just soak it up.

I guess my point is that i'm not sold on this bigger is better mindset. Maybe keep that in mind when you're deciding which paint can on a stick that you're debating buying.

I'm not shooting down your choices, but it's so funny how many times people think that a huge driver will change their game. I don't believe this is the case.

Just my $0.02.

rockford35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

I would do the Tommy Armours. Have you gone to any stores and tryed some out? At some stores they have pre-owned sets dirt cheap. I don't think that you NEED a huge driver(455 cc's is huge, 15 cc's off USGA limit) 330 cc's isn't all that small. I don't know, the easiest thing to do I think is go to a store and look at pre-owned clubs. I think that will also be cheaper.
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]Kill the Ball[/COLOR]!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by golfandbike
    I would do the Tommy Armours. Have you gone to any stores and tryed some out? At some stores they have pre-owned sets dirt cheap. I don't think that you NEED a huge driver(455 cc's is huge, 15 cc's off USGA limit) 330 cc's isn't all that small. I don't know, the easiest thing to do I think is go to a store and look at pre-owned clubs. I think that will also be cheaper.

Im set for tomorrow to head up to Edwin Watts and have them "evaluate" me and make some suggestions. I guess once I figure out club length and how fast i swing, this will help some. Im open for any suggestions they may have, but the more I read about those clone clubs, the more it seems like a good deal for someone starting out. All in all if I dont need anything custom length wise, Ill end up paying the $129 for the first set on my list and when I upgrade I can pass them on to my son.

Well just got back from the pro shop and they were very helpful. The pro recommended Callaway Big Bertha X14's over the Tommy Armour 845s , he said the 845s arent as big and he thought the Callaways were better for a beginner. He said I was definately a stiff shaft guy (just judging by my height/weight and age) and he said I could go with a regular length or a .5 inch adjustment.

Im probably going to go with a Callaway clone on the pine meadow site, or just spend the $129 for the beginners set and see if I even like the game.

I did sign up for a 9 class course at the local college thats taught by the local pro and it was only $190.

Please do not buy clones. In my country the clones are called Big Saadams. But they are no good and I deposed them from my golf bag. Only purchase expensive Amercian made golf clubs

What to buy

I just bought a set of Callaway Hawk Eyes (brand new expensive clubs drastically reduced) to replace the Tommy Armours I bought used last year. The Armours are well made clubs, but they aren't very forgiving. The head is relatively small and the sole is comparitively thin. That being said, I think the experience I gained in learning how to hit them, has made hitting my new extremely forgiving clubs so much easier. It's like learning on a standard transmission car and then driving an automatic. Now I can fade or draw the ball when necessary.

I agree with one of the other contributors who said it would take you a while to hit the driver consistently. He said 6 months, but it took me a lot longer than that! Learn how to hit a 3-wood consistently, then graduate to a driver. It will let you enjoy the game. Don't get caught up into the distance mania that seems to have taken over these days. Fairways and greens in regulation combined with a good lag putting game will help you score well. It feels great to rip one down the middle, but it feels a lot better to break 100 for the first time.

Finally, I was thinking about buying a set of clones for a while, but since I'm a fairly devoted golfer (I've been playing twice a week for 8 years,) I felt the investment was worth it. If you're just starting out, I understand your hesitance to dish out the coin for a brand name set. But, I have two thoughts for you: you will probably get hooked on this damn game! And, you get what you pay for. Think how much you'll save in lost balls at $5.00 a sleeve!

Good luck

I went to Dicks Sporting Goods last night with 3 other friends who golf and I swung clubs for about 2 hours. I tried the 845s and even the 845 Vaults, in the end I seemed to hit better (not that I could hit much at all) with the heavier Big Bertha clubs (not the X-16's that I originally thought Id buy in the clone version). I was able to get under the ball better with the berthas. I found some bertha clones on the pine meadow site and will be placing my order today. If I do indeed get hooked on the game, Im only out $149 if I decide to upgrade or vice versa if I hate it.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by artfuldodger
    I just bought a set of Callaway Hawk Eyes (brand new expensive clubs drastically reduced) to replace the Tommy Armours I bought used last year. The Armours are well made clubs, but they aren't very forgiving. The head is relatively small and the sole is comparitively thin. That being said, I think the experience I gained in learning how to hit them, has made hitting my new extremely forgiving clubs so much easier. It's like learning on a standard transmission car and then driving an automatic. Now I can fade or draw the ball when necessary.

I agree with one of the other contributors who said it would take you a while to hit the driver consistently. He said 6 months, but it took me a lot longer than that! Learn how to hit a 3-wood consistently, then graduate to a driver. It will let you enjoy the game. Don't get caught up into the distance mania that seems to have taken over these days. Fairways and greens in regulation combined with a good lag putting game will help you score well. It feels great to rip one down the middle, but it feels a lot better to break 100 for the first time.

Finally, I was thinking about buying a set of clones for a while, but since I'm a fairly devoted golfer (I've been playing twice a week for 8 years,) I felt the investment was worth it. If you're just starting out, I understand your hesitance to dish out the coin for a brand name set. But, I have two thoughts for you: you will probably get hooked on this damn game! And, you get what you pay for. Think how much you'll save in lost balls at $5.00 a sleeve!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmood
    Please do not buy clones. In my country the clones are called Big Saadams. But they are no good and I deposed them from my golf bag. Only purchase expensive Amercian made golf clubs
    I read an article in a golf magazine a while ago ang it says that clones or knock-offs, whatever you call them, can be made differently than the real club. This could lead to different results.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frankly I don't care for clones either but... beginners will miss 9 out of every 10 shots maybe more. I seriously doubt that a $700 set of Bertha irons or $150 set of Bertha clones will make 1 bit of difference in that scenario provided the clones don't fall apart.

But let's say that you can buy a used set of DCI blacks, Ping Zings, Mizuno Sures, 5+ years old in ok shape (6/10) for $150 more or less. They might be a little dinged up cosmetically but there's no question about playability. They're solid perimeter weighted game improvement sticks that should fit a beginner just fine. A year or 2 down the road, provided the condition hasn't deteriorated too much you can still sell it for 80 to 90 cents on the dollar or maybe if you're lucky even get your money back! With clones the only thing you can do with them is to try to pawn off on the next relative who wants to take up golf.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    Frankly I don't care for clones either but... beginners will miss 9 out of every 10 shots maybe more. I seriously doubt that a $700 set of Bertha irons or $150 set of Bertha clones will make 1 bit of difference in that scenario provided the clones don't fall apart.

But let's say that you can buy a used set of DCI blacks, Ping Zings, Mizuno Sures, 5+ years old in ok shape (6/10) for $150 more or less. They might be a little dinged up cosmetically but there's no question about playability. They're solid perimeter weighted game improvement sticks that should fit a beginner just fine. A year or 2 down the road, provided the condition hasn't deteriorated too much you can still sell it for 80 to 90 cents on the dollar or maybe if you're lucky even get your money back! With clones the only thing you can do with them is to try to pawn off on the next relative who wants to take up golf.
    This dude speaks the truth!

Go with used clubs

Quote Originally Posted by timmarchant
    My brother, my uncle and my co-workers golf and my girlfriend is constantly telling me I need some exercise.. Ive decided to give golf a shot and since my brother just started last month Ive got someone to practice along side of.

Ive been doing online and ebay price shopping for about 3 days straight now and have come up with a few ideas but Im also looking for input.

Ive never golfed before so I also plan to take a few lessons. Ive been convinced I need an oversides set and my starter budget is $100-$300. I realize this isnt much but Im not sure how far this will go and I dont want to ruin some $1000 clubs.

Im 6'1 so I assume normal length is what I want and I weigh about 210lbs. Im not sure about stiff or regular shaft so Im assuming regular.

So far Ive found 4 options.

Option #1

This is a RAM Oversized complete set. Its the cheapest of my options but this gets me everything I need to get started at $129. The only downfall I see here is possibly the driver size is 330cc and I think maybe bigger would be better for me starting out.

Option #2

Another complete set but its twice the $$ sitting at $299, however it does have a bigger driver (445cc) and instead of a 3-4 iron it includes some hybrid clubs. This is a Wilson CounterTorque set.

Option #3

This is the RAM FX3 set. Its not complete as its lacking a bag and a putter (compared to the first 2 options I listed), but its the midway set I was leaning towards. It has a slightly bigger driver (400cc) and is labeled a very forgiving set (although all of them say that). Its oversized and price at $139. I figure $50 for a bag and $20 for a putter puts me a little over $200.

Option #4

This last option is the most expensive so it is definately my last option, but Im curious if its my best option or if its just too much $$. Its a Tommy Armour 845 Vault Iron set thats listed for $169. I would need a bag, woods, and a putter to complete this set so Im over $300 but Im thinking it would be the best quality set, however again it may be way more than I need having never played golf before. The Vault series was apparently replaced by the 845u series. This is upposed to be the biggest game improvement set Armour makes.

Now while I have 4 options listed here, they may very well not be one of the best options for me, so here Ive come in search of answers. Ill check back every few hours to reply to any other questions I may have forgot to answer here.

TIA,

Tim

P.S. Any thoughts on clones? Pine Meadow Golf seems to have a lot of stuff in my price range
    If you are on this website - you are likely an eBay user. I recommend the Tommy Armour 845's. They are rated among the highest game improvement irons ever made. You can get a used set for about $100 on eBay. Go to Froogle and see what this reveals too.

I also recommend against getting a driver now. Get a 3 wood/metal such as a Calloway or TaylorMade - also used. Get used to this club.

SHAFTS: Most golfers have been mislead into buying Stiff shafts for their woods/metals. Do not fall for this - buy Regular shafts for your Driver/Woods/Metals.

My last recommendation: GET LESSONS now. INVEST in lessons. This is the best $$ by far - you can spend.

Clones: I would recommend the Armour 845's (used) as I know they are very, very forgiving. BTW - I play Titleist DCI's (about $700), have a $400 Taylor Made Driver and two Sonartec Woods ($300 a piece). So I've got a bunch invested in equipment but only after 38 years of play and tremendous amount of research.

The is the best game. Enjoy it.

Thread Information