|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Lightbulb Weather conditions, Range sessions, & Muddy fairways....HELP ME!

IM going into my second year of this sport and finished my played my first 9 holes of the season last Thursday. The weather conditions were windy (10-15 mph) and sunny with the fairways pretty rain soaked. I practiced through the winter trying to keep my game where I left it since my last round last fall. My game was really off and I was at a loss to explain it. My tuning up for the season at the range had me hitting crisp iron shots. My driver and 3 & 5 metal shots were also beautiful. These shots while making an appearance during my 9 holes were too infrequent. I find it hard to believe that my swing at the range could deteriorate so badly when it cam to the course. IM hoping maybe some of you can help me figure this out but first I have some questions……

My shots with my 3 & 5 metals from the fairway were awful! The shots with these clubs would see me taking a good piece of wet fairway & mud into the air while my ball would pop maybe 5 yards into the air. Now IM lead to believe that this was due to the really rain soaked fairways since my swing plane was not steep. A friend told me he would never hit his metals from the fairways under such conditions (rain soaked fairways). To his credit when I hit my irons from the fairway I hit some decent shots. Is there some truth to this statement?

My practice sessions are confined to hitting from a mat at the range. I only use the Tee for my driver as well. Now I have heard you want to hit from grass because ‘it is better.’ If one gets to thinking how much difference can there be from hitting from mats and grass? Also why is it so many people who practice and swing well at the range (razor straight shots) and when it comes to the course their swing lets them down? I really practice at the range and I don’t just hit balls. Is this a mental thing? Not sure but any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanx! P.S. I had

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    IM going into my second year of this sport and finished my played my first 9 holes of the season last Thursday. The weather conditions were windy (10-15 mph) and sunny with the fairways pretty rain soaked. I practiced through the winter trying to keep my game where I left it since my last round last fall. My game was really off and I was at a loss to explain it. My tuning up for the season at the range had me hitting crisp iron shots. My driver and 3 & 5 metal shots were also beautiful. These shots while making an appearance during my 9 holes were too infrequent. I find it hard to believe that my swing at the range could deteriorate so badly when it cam to the course. IM hoping maybe some of you can help me figure this out but first I have some questions……

My shots with my 3 & 5 metals from the fairway were awful! The shots with these clubs would see me taking a good piece of wet fairway & mud into the air while my ball would pop maybe 5 yards into the air. Now IM lead to believe that this was due to the really rain soaked fairways since my swing plane was not steep. A friend told me he would never hit his metals from the fairways under such conditions (rain soaked fairways). To his credit when I hit my irons from the fairway I hit some decent shots. Is there some truth to this statement?

My practice sessions are confined to hitting from a mat at the range. I only use the Tee for my driver as well. Now I have heard you want to hit from grass because ‘it is better.’ If one gets to thinking how much difference can there be from hitting from mats and grass? Also why is it so many people who practice and swing well at the range (razor straight shots) and when it comes to the course their swing lets them down? I really practice at the range and I don’t just hit balls. Is this a mental thing? Not sure but any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanx! P.S. I had
    One of the first things I noticed is that you are frustrated about the transition from hitting off mats to the course. The difference is very significant because mats are made of rubber and tend to bounce the club back up - therefore your shots will seem to be better than they probably are. This is not to say that you should stop hitting from mats in the winter - you should to keep your swing in as decent shape as possible. Just do not let mats mislead you into thinking you are hitting everything "crisply".

Iron shots hit from muddy fairways will indeed spray up a lot of mud because of the size of the clubhead making contact with the ground and you MAY indeed have too steep of a swing. If you are in too much mud - you may take a free drop. MOVE your ball to a dry spot before hitting the shot. They do this on TOUR when the conditions are extremely wet and the ball plugs.

I recommend going to the range and start by hitting very small, short shots with your clubs until you develop a good rythim. Then progressively increase the swing length until you hit them normally.

Thread Information