|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Shorter Shaft

Shorter Shaft

I have an Adams Ovation driver that is a has a stock 45 inch Aldila in it, now a friend of mine has a Ram driver and it is possibly a 43 inch shaft, I hit his Ram a little straighter than I hit my Adams, will a shorter shaft help me hit the ball straighter? Both dirvers are 460cc.

I think you already answered your own question.
    I am the master!

Yes, a shorter shaft will help accuracy at the expense of distance.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Thanks for the help guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schrup
    Yes, a shorter shaft will help accuracy at the expense of distance.
    Yes, but sometimes the AVERAGE distance may INCREASE, because with a shorter and easier to control shaft may allow a higher frequency of sweetspot hits. The longest of the long drives will probably be longer with a longer shaft, but it's better to be 240 on the fairway than 275 in the rough or worse.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

That is true, but if I'm faced with a wedge in the rough versus a 6 iron in the fairway, I'm going to take the wedge in the rough. Either way, a 43" shaft is going to help you become a tad more accurate, although the changes won't be drastic.

Give it a shot.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Actually, the hypothetical distance difference I mentioned would be an exaggeration. Taking off an inch might make 5-15 yards difference for a great drive, not 35 yards. I was just trying to make the point that a slightly shorter drive in the fairway is better than a slightly longer drive in the rough, (with the possibility of an occasional much longer drive with the longer shaft)
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Shorten your swing to 3/4 or even 1/2 would also help, although it's lot harder to swing partial for driver compared to iron or woods.

Balance might a critical factor for driver swing too, try feet together (more efficient on alignment of irons) or right foot back with balance point on left leg. The last one is my new found stance, even work on the course. it seems to clear the right hip for body rotation and produce in-line downswing and follow through. Certainly would improve one's balance sensors too.

Swing changes from time to time, I do keep a full specturm of drivers, small or large head, long and short ones, steel or graphite, just in case some rainy days of swing

My experience has been a bit different. My new driver has a 43" shaft, and I was hooking the snot out of it because I was teeing the ball out at the same place where I teed it with a 46" shaft, and was making a major inside to out reach at the ball. I didn't lose any distance on well hit shots (actually hit a bit longer than my old driver), but to hit the driver straight it feels like I have to tee the ball on the tip of my toes (being 6"3 doesn't help in this regard I guess). I am changing back to a 45 or 46...it suits my swing better.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

If my math & physics are correct, the decrease in clubhead swing will be proprotional to the diameter of the swing arc (distance from shoulders to clubhead). I think it ought to be 1-2 mph per inch.
    Hold my Beer. I'm going to hit a high fade over that tree....

Thread Information