|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Ladies driver?

Question Ladies driver?

what's a good driver for women, for my wife?
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

I just reshafted my old R540XD with a ladies shaft. 44 inches.. she seems to hit it pretty well. of course, she is still new to the game. Only played about 5 rounds thus far.

I waiting for the day she tells me that she wants new irons, and a new putter.

My wife has played, and played pretty well (18 handicap) for many years. With various OEM drivers such as Callaway Hawkeye, she hit the ball pretty solidly but lacked directional consistency. This past year, I've built her two drivers that worked much better. The first was a 14* LPG VS88II with an A flex Mercury Performance shaft. She hit this driver higher and consistently straighter than her 12 degree Callaway with their stock graphite shaft, and the total of components for the VS88 + shaft + grip was under $50. A custom clubmaker would probably build you one for $75, maybe less. Recently, I built my wife a Wishon 915 High Launch, also at 14 degrees, with a PINK Aldila NV shaft, a la Paula Creamer. The Wishon is an .830 COR clubhead and the NV (L flex, 55 grams) is a hot, low-spin shaft. With the combination, my wife has a little more zing in her tee shots than previously, and the combination only cost about $200 in "parts." Well worth it to see the fun she has getting it out there a little farther and still in the short grass.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Callaway 454 high trjectory (don't know the face angle) or 13*; try as many shafts as possible

Bought the wife a cobra sz 355 this year and she loves this club....upgrade from a supersteel taylor made and she must have gained 20 yards on her drives. Even her miss hits are going much farther than before. After a couple rounds watching her hit this club that well... all i could do is laugh at the distance she has gained

I'm admittedly a huge KZG fan, but we (dad and I) got my mom a KZG Gemini 12 deg with the women's ProForce shaft, and she's launching it.

It's interesting that there are no woman replying to this thread. Also more interesting is that all of these posts mention buying for their wives.

Why aren't woman more active in golf? I (am a woman) and a complete addict. I buy my own clubs, I read "Golf Magazine" and "Golf Digest" (yes I am married to a man). There is a golf mag for woman, but I am not interested in all the fluff that comes with that type of mag.

It has been my experience with my other female golfer friends that many of their husbands try to find or refit their clubs for their wives...often at a lesser cost then their own equipment.

Having said all of that, I have a variety of clubs in my bag. I didn't start using a driver until about 1 1/2 years ago (golfing for 7 years). At that time, I started using a driver that my husbands friend made for me without even measuring me or seeing me swing. It was ok. Last year I purchased a Tour Edge Bazooka driver (can't remember all the details, which is ok, because it's not important to me) It is a mens club, and I love it. I have never hit straighter or longer. It does have an off-set head with a graphite shaft and a low kick point. Does any of this make sense? Who knows.

All I know is that unless you are at a max distance with your 3W or 5W, why buy a driver. Many woman can't hit them well. I know that is a generalization, but it's just what I see. On my league there are probably 5 (out of 30) woman that hit a driver well. Another 10 that insist on using it despite their lack of control and distance, and another 15 that drive with a 3W or 5W.

So I would suggest, if you think it would improve her game, have her go to a golf shop where she can try all the clubs, and pick the one that works best for her. (don't rule out the mens clubs)

Thread Information