|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: handicap?

handicap?

ive been playing golf for a couple of years now and ive heard people talking about handicap what is a handicap and how do you determine it?

Quote Originally Posted by warrenn
    ive been playing golf for a couple of years now and ive heard people talking about handicap what is a handicap and how do you determine it?
    A handicap is a number given to every golfer within a group to allow a "leveling of the playing field" for betting and tournament purposes. The USGA has a better defintion, but that's it in a nutshell. It ain't easy to explain the actual handicapping process; a few pieces are involved. For instance, you might record all your scores at a much harder golf course than I do, which isn't fair if we get together to play. I shouldn't have the same handicap as you just because we both average 85 the last 20 times we've played. But this website does a very good job, in a down-to-earth way.

http://www.popeofslope.com/

Ted

Ted,

Slope and course rating make sure that our respective indexes are accurate regardless of what kind of course we play on.

If you shoot 85 on a short and easy course (complete with clown, windmill, volcano) and warenn shoots his 85 on a course that is 7300 yards long and slopes out at 140 and has a course rating of 74.6 despite being only par 70, then warrenn will have an index close to a 9 while yours will be closer to a 14. But feel free to interpret it the way it feels best to you.

Thanks.

You wrote this:

. For instance, you might record all your scores at a much harder golf course than I do, which isn't fair if we get together to play. I shouldn't have the same handicap as you just because we both average 85 the last 20 times we've played.

Now read it out loud.

read it again.

One more time.

Thanks

PS, people come to messageboards to interact with other like minded humans. Just throwing some link up as a response is lazy and takes the joy out of the human interaction.

make a note.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    Ted,

Slope and course rating make sure that our respective indexes are accurate regardless of what kind of course we play on.

If you shoot 85 on a short and easy course (complete with clown, windmill, volcano) and warenn shoots his 85 on a course that is 7300 yards long and slopes out at 140 and has a course rating of 74.6 despite being only par 70, then warrenn will have an index close to a 9 while yours will be closer to a 14. But feel free to interpret it the way it feels best to you.

Thanks.
    ?? That WAS my point. I SHOULDN'T (and don't) have the same handicap. Reread my post. That's why I told him to visit popeofslope (notice the slope word in the title...it's easy....it's the last five letters)

C'mon, you might be angry and cynical and yes, maybe funny at times, but you're not that stupid.

From how I interpret ted's sentence he's saying that if two people play different courses and shoot the same raw score, then they'll have different handicaps because of the difference in difficulty between the two courses.
    I am the master!

Oh, I interpret it as "Two people who play different courses both shoot 85, have the same handicap, Ted does not think it is fair, has no idea why, and throws up a link to further confuse matters".

But I guess we all interpret things differently.

Boy, all that is more confusing than actually figuring a handicap. Here's how you do it warrenn. Take twenty scores and throw away the worst ten (actually the ten highest handicap differencials, that's more complicated, but the mavens around here will get me for any mistakes). Make sure you have the slope and course rating from the scorecard for each round. We'll start with figuring one round using score of 95 made on a course with a USGA Course Rating of 71.5 and a USGA Slope Rating of 125 (these numbers are on your scorecard for every legitimate course).
    1) Subtract the course rating from your score.
    95 - 71.5 = 23.5
    2) We all use a standard slope of 113 as the average of all courses, so then multiply the result by 113.
    23.5 x 113 = 2655.5
    3) Divide the result by the Slope rating from the score card, 125 in this case.
    2655.5 / 125 = 21.244
    4) Then round of to the nearest 10th and multiply by .96
    21.2 x .96 = 20.352, rounded to 20.4 is your handicap index for that round. Do this for all ten scores and average the result for your handicap (you can shorthand the math, like save the x .96 for the end, etc). There are also charts to get a handicap with as little as five rounds, but there is a big penalty as you throw out most all of the higher scores.

When you play any course with a slope rating (they all have them) you can use your handicap index and each courses slope rating to get an equitable handicap and play Ted and Besson on equal footing.

Or you can just got to GolfQ.com and they'll do it all for free, but we know how Besson hates links.
    It's not the Arrow, It's the Indian

Thread Information