|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Tourstage 202 v. Mizuno MX-23; J33 Combo

General consensus that I've seen is that 202s are a bit better than the MX-23s, but I'm unable to find them in the Rifle TF 5.5 shaft that works best for me, and I'm among those that think the shaft is more important than the head. Also considering the J33 combo, but these seem to have lost a bit of the initial lustre (?luster), perhaps not as forgiving or easy to hit? I'm a good ball striker (at least for the 10 index I carry - down from 20 over the past 3 years), don't think I'm quite ready for blades.

I am hoping Dorkman will chime in on this, as I think he has been through each of these, plus some Hogan's to boot (and perhaps others?). Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

I briefly owned some Mizuno MX-23's, but around the time I got them I had the opportunity to get the TS 202's, so I sold the Mizunos. The Mizunos are very sweet feeling, very forgiving, and beautiful clubs. The TS 202's are also very forgiving and very sweet feeling. Of the two, I'd give a slight nod to the Tourstages for aesthetics and sole design, but they are both superb sets. I'm currently playing the Bridgestone J33 Combos, and these are my favorite clubs of my "career" to date. Like the MX-23's and TS 202's they have a leading edge grind which decreases the tendency to dig. The TS 202's have a little thinner sole overall, which made them easier to hit on thinner lies than the 23's. The Bridgestones have the thinnest soles of the 3 by far, but don't tend to dig because of the leading edge grind. I find the Bridgestones are the most versatile from the greatest number of lie possibilities of the three mentioned. I don't think the Bridgestones feel quite as soft as either the TS 202's or the MX-23's, but I find them equally forgiving, and for me, more accurate. I also find the Bridgestones are much easier to hit punch/knockdown shots than the others.
    Both the MX-23 and the TS 202's have a slight bit of morphing from long to short irons, but not nearly as much as the J33's. I like the fact that the short irons go to a true blade with the J33's.
    The J33's have far less offset than either the TS 202's or the MX-23's, which I also like.
    The FTX's are fine clubs, too, but don't morph nearly as much as the J33's, and aren't as forgiving in the longer clubs as any of the others I've mentioned. They also have a relatively thin sole, and I didn't find them as versatile as the J33's.

Please don't take what I am saying here as "gospel truth". I'm just depending on my memories and recollections in an effort to compare and contrast what has worked best for me. Your experience might be different.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I briefly owned some Mizuno MX-23's, but around the time I got them I had the opportunity to get the TS 202's, so I sold the Mizunos. The Mizunos are very sweet feeling, very forgiving, and beautiful clubs. The TS 202's are also very forgiving and very sweet feeling. Of the two, I'd give a slight nod to the Tourstages for aesthetics and sole design, but they are both superb sets. I'm currently playing the Bridgestone J33 Combos, and these are my favorite clubs of my "career" to date. Like the MX-23's and TS 202's they have a leading edge grind which decreases the tendency to dig. The TS 202's have a little thinner sole overall, which made them easier to hit on thinner lies than the 23's. The Bridgestones have the thinnest soles of the 3 by far, but don't tend to dig because of the leading edge grind. I find the Bridgestones are the most versatile from the greatest number of lie possibilities of the three mentioned. I don't think the Bridgestones feel quite as soft as either the TS 202's or the MX-23's, but I find them equally forgiving, and for me, more accurate. I also find the Bridgestones are much easier to hit punch/knockdown shots than the others.
    Both the MX-23 and the TS 202's have a slight bit of morphing from long to short irons, but not nearly as much as the J33's. I like the fact that the short irons go to a true blade with the J33's.
    The J33's have far less offset than either the TS 202's or the MX-23's, which I also like.
    The FTX's are fine clubs, too, but don't morph nearly as much as the J33's, and aren't as forgiving in the longer clubs as any of the others I've mentioned. They also have a relatively thin sole, and I didn't find them as versatile as the J33's.

Please don't take what I am saying here as "gospel truth". I'm just depending on my memories and recollections in an effort to compare and contrast what has worked best for me. Your experience might be different.
    Thanks! I was hoping I could count on you. I think I am going to demo the 23's against the new MP-60s and probably order a J33 6 iron to demo against these also (no J33 demos in my area that I know of). The major weakness in that strategy is that only compares the 6 iron, and given the way the sets change - especially the 33s - there may be differences in long and short irons as well. I've got a J33 60 degree lob wedge coming, so that may help somewhat. My only concern is offset - visually the significant offset in the 23s is no problem, but I don't know from a ball striking perspective whether I prefer or need the offset with my swing.

Thanks for clarifying the sole grind issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shteeve
    Thanks! I was hoping I could count on you. I think I am going to demo the 23's against the new MP-60s and probably order a J33 6 iron to demo against these also (no J33 demos in my area that I know of). The major weakness in that strategy is that only compares the 6 iron, and given the way the sets change - especially the 33s - there may be differences in long and short irons as well. I've got a J33 60 degree lob wedge coming, so that may help somewhat. My only concern is offset - visually the significant offset in the 23s is no problem, but I don't know from a ball striking perspective whether I prefer or need the offset with my swing.

Thanks for clarifying the sole grind issues.
    The long irons of all 3 sets are really pretty easy to hit. Both the Tourstage TS 202 (made by Bridgestone) and the Bridgestone J33 Combos have tungsten weights low and posteriorly in the 3-5 irons, which makes them just that much easier to hit. The short irons of any of them should be pretty easy to hit, too. So I'd think that if you could only compare the 6 irons it would be a good comparison. Make note, though, that the Bridgestones have about 2-3 degree weaker lofts than the others, so that's about a 1/2 club shorter. I note that the J33's don't hit quite as long for the "same" iron, but it's a total irrelevancy, since you simply re-calibrate mentally how far your particular set hits. Irons aren't about distance anyway; accuracy and precision are paramount. As long as you know how far to hit a particular club and can reasonably expect that distance on a reasonably well struck ball, you're golden.
    The TS 202 lofts are:
    20 23 26 29 32 36 40 45 for the 3-PW
    http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en/prodj33combo.aspx for the J33's, and the Mizunos are:
    http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.n...B?opendocument
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    The long irons of all 3 sets are really pretty easy to hit. Both the Tourstage TS 202 (made by Bridgestone) and the Bridgestone J33 Combos have tungsten weights low and posteriorly in the 3-5 irons, which makes them just that much easier to hit. The short irons of any of them should be pretty easy to hit, too. So I'd think that if you could only compare the 6 irons it would be a good comparison. Make note, though, that the Bridgestones have about 2-3 degree weaker lofts than the others, so that's about a 1/2 club shorter. I note that the J33's don't hit quite as long for the "same" iron, but it's a total irrelevancy, since you simply re-calibrate mentally how far your particular set hits. Irons aren't about distance anyway; accuracy and precision are paramount. As long as you know how far to hit a particular club and can reasonably expect that distance on a reasonably well struck ball, you're golden.
    The TS 202 lofts are:
    20 23 26 29 32 36 40 45 for the 3-PW
    http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en/prodj33combo.aspx for the J33's, and the Mizunos are:
    http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.n...B?opendocument
    As always, you are awesome. Thanks for all the info. I will have to balance my ego against wedge distances if I go with the J33s - I can order them with stronger lofts, but of course a 46 degree PW is good for the ego but leaves a bigger gap to the 60 degree lob.

Thread Information