|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Smile Anyone ever hear of Mike Austin?

Mike Austin holds the record for the longest drive in a PGA tournament. In the 1974 Senior US open he hit one 515 yards! This was at he age of 64 and with a persimmon driver. He had a 25 mph tailwind but a level hole (not downhill). He hit the green at 455 and it rolled another 60yds. This can be verified in the Guiness Book of World Records. Anyway, my question is, has anyone studied his swing methods?. Apparently his philosophy and techniques are different from the current standard. If he has a better way, why aren't the pros using it? He was a touring pro in the 1930s-40s and played with the likes of Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Hogan, Nelson et al. And he is in the World Golf Hall of Fame. He also coached long-drive champion Mike Dunaway.

I am considering buying his training video, but am a little skeptical of the claims.
    Anybody know anything about his techniaues? Do they work or what?

Interesting thing is... if the Guiness Book of World Records can verify this then they're the ones who are bogus. You know why? What's 60 yards behind the green? I bet it's not fairway, and if it is fairway it's not for the hole he happened to be playing. Anybody who has played in their men's club monthly tourney knows that in order to collect the long drive prize you have to have the ball in play on the fairway that is designated the long drive hole. If you're in the rough by so much as an inch than you don't qualify.

If they don't know simple rules like this then the whole feat sounds suspect, doesn't it?

Man that is really narrow and ignorant. Now where did he state it was a long drive contest, and it was held long before they use the rules they use now. Also there are plenty of courses where there are 60 yards and more behind the green(Augusta National is one. I'm sure you've heard of it). And it said the drive was that length and in no way did it say it had to be in the fairway.

Mens club monthly tournament? Not even all clubs have this.

Look buddy forget about hitting it a mile. It's not what counts. What counts is having a good time and final score. Arnold Palmer can still drive it past you and I, but he's quitting competetive golf for a reason. He can't score.

Besides it doesn't say it was sanctioned by the tour or your club. Just that it was the longest measured drive.

Thread Information