|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Visiting Orlando, FL

My regular foursome will be vacationing in Orlando soon and have the following courses already lined up...
    Legends, Diamondback, Championsgate (both National and I'ntl), Orange County National, and the Palms course at Disney.

Anyvbody have anything to say about these courses? Did my playing partners do a good job in course selection?
    Also, if anyone can recommend good restaurants/pubs in the Orlando area (away from the tourist crowd if possible), that would be great.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rolling_rock
    My regular foursome will be vacationing in Orlando soon and have the following courses already lined up...
    Legends, Diamondback, Championsgate (both National and I'ntl), Orange County National, and the Palms course at Disney.

Anyvbody have anything to say about these courses? Did my playing partners do a good job in course selection?
    Also, if anyone can recommend good restaurants/pubs in the Orlando area (away from the tourist crowd if possible), that would be great.

Thanks!
    Regarding the course you are playing. I would suggest not to play the Legends since the last time I played the course, it was not in good shape at all + there was a lot of construction around. Of all the course we played, it was the most deceiving. Championsgate is a Norman course design, 6 good holes, 6 ok and 6 ordinary one. I would defenitely suggest to play The Celebration, not a long course (6700-6800 yds from the tips), but you will find some nice hole, incredible service and a course in really good shape. Orange county is a good choice, a real champioship course where they play Q-school final. I would also go with Southern Dunes which is a nice course. I could probably post some pic of this course for you to see when I'll get back home.
    If you like pure link type course with fast green (rounf record by Chris Dimarco-64), go at Eagle Creek, not an easy course if you play from the back tees + with wind.

Wish you a good trip!

Grand Cypress is another one to look into, it's a great course...........pretty expensive but a really nice course. OC National is a beast, but a terrific course.

Not sure what is out of your budget, but we have some great courses here and right now you can score on the lower rates. Try Keene's Pointe. I would agree with the last person on Legends. Greens are hard and sound hallow. I was not impressed. Metro West is a nice course too and when you are done you can travel across the street to Sam Snead's for some grub.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDon
    Grand Cypress is another one to look into, it's a great course...........pretty expensive but a really nice course. OC National is a beast, but a terrific course.
    Grand Cypress have great courses, but only open to the guest of the resort(If i'm not wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by readytoplay
    Regarding the course you are playing. I would suggest not to play the Legends since the last time I played the course, it was not in good shape at all + there was a lot of construction around. Of all the course we played, it was the most deceiving. Championsgate is a Norman course design, 6 good holes, 6 ok and 6 ordinary one. I would defenitely suggest to play The Celebration, not a long course (6700-6800 yds from the tips), but you will find some nice hole, incredible service and a course in really good shape. Orange county is a good choice, a real champioship course where they play Q-school final. I would also go with Southern Dunes which is a nice course. I could probably post some pic of this course for you to see when I'll get back home.
    If you like pure link type course with fast green (rounf record by Chris Dimarco-64), go at Eagle Creek, not an easy course if you play from the back tees + with wind.

Wish you a good trip!
    My input------
    Concur highly with recommendation of Eagle Creek... played it last November (with lots of wind)... very good round, except for the disaster at Par3 #17 trying to get out of pot bunker... many strokes . Birdied Par5 #18, though !!!

You may want to try Forest Lake Golf Club in Ocoee, just west of Orlando off the 429... Best New Public Course in 1996, IIRC... links style, no houses... for fun, Par 3 #15 from tips over the water in a stiff breeze (Wow)... played it many times (Full disclosure - my investment group used to own the course).

Champions Gate is OK... was cart-path only the day we played... something to do with PGA & Father-Son Challenge being played 3 weeks after our outing.

Southern Dunes - Good course... shot net 65 there in Tournament play, with an 8!

Disney - Will never play a Disney course again. Eagle Pines was wet, wet, wet. No fun.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Given time, we'll definitely try the courses mentioned.

I give two thumbs down to the palm course at Disney. Disney as a whole seems to have gone downhill. The pro shop guy gave me this snooty attitude like I was eating at a hoity-toity French restaurant. Cmon, this is Disney, Mickey Mouse, fun for the whole family! If the attitude doesn't bother you, the course might. I saw nothing special at all about this track. It wasn't in the best of shape, and there was litter in places - if I didn't look at the teebox, I would've thought I was at a scenic but somewhat run down muni track. I'm astounded that they play a tour event on this course.

I always play DeBary when I'm in Orlando, it's in good shape and a fun challenging course.

OK, just got back from my Orlando trip, and our group had a great time. Readytoplay, you were spot on with your review of Legends. Construction was everywhere, and the greens were rock hard and didn't hold at all. Nice layout though...could've been better.

My personal favorite was the National course at Championsgate. And the staff really went out of their way to take care of us. Same goes for the courses at Orange County National.

Diamondback has a tight opening 3 holes, and the clubhouse leaves much to be desired, but other than that, an enjoyable round.

Although Disney's Palm course was well manicured, quite a few of the greens were very sandy. If I paid full price, I would've been very disappointed. We played after 10am, so we took advantage of the discount rate.

We got lucky with the weather. Orlando only got hit with the outside edges of Rita, so we got hit with some minor showers. Nothing to hold up golf for.

Oh, and we ended up at Kitty O'Shea's Pub for a few brews on more than several occasions.

OK, just got back from my Orlando trip, and our group had a great time. Readytoplay, you were spot on with your review of Legends. Construction was everywhere, and the greens were rock hard and didn't hold at all. Nice layout though...could've been better.

My personal favorite was the National course at Championsgate. And the staff really went out of their way to take care of us. Same goes for the courses at Orange County National.

Diamondback has a tight opening 3 holes, and the clubhouse leaves much to be desired, but other than that, an enjoyable round.

Although Disney's Palm course was well manicured, quite a few of the greens were very sandy. If I paid full price, I would've been very disappointed. We played after 10am, so we took advantage of the discount rate.

We got lucky with the weather. Orlando only got hit with the outside edges of Rita, so we got hit with some minor showers. Nothing to hold up golf for.

Oh, and we ended up at Kitty O'Shea's Pub for a few brews on more than several occasions.
    I'm glad you had a good trip. Golf trip with great buddies worth every penny. I'm planning one in Arizona (either Tucson or Scottsdale) end of November, so I will keep you posted on which course we will play.
    Have a good one

I'm glad you had a nice trip! Golf trip with great buddies worth every penny. I'm planning a golf trip end of november in Tucson or Scottsdale Arizona, I will keep you posted on what course we will play .

Quote Originally Posted by readytoplay
    I'm glad you had a good trip. Golf trip with great buddies worth every penny. I'm planning one in Arizona (either Tucson or Scottsdale) end of November, so I will keep you posted on which course we will play.
    Have a good one
    I was in that area about 5 years ago. Some of the courses you might want to consider are Tonto Verde, Sun Ridge Canyon, Longbow, Superstition Springs, Eagle Mountain, and Troon North.

I remember there wasn't a stinker in the bunch.

I was in that area about 5 years ago. Some of the courses you might want to consider are Tonto Verde, Sun Ridge Canyon, Longbow, Superstition Springs, Eagle Mountain, and Troon North.

I remember there wasn't a stinker in the bunch.
    Tks for the recommendation, we will have an eye on those. What is fun about the organisation of a golf trip is all the ¨paradise look¨ every place seems to offer, we are now looking for Palm Spring as well. I'm lucky enough to have a good buddy who works for a specialized golf travel agency which kinda help!
    Tks again

Thread Information