|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

lofted woods: 23* 5-wood & 27.5* 7-wood

we have two lofted TaylorMade metalwoods from EBAY: my "5-wood" has 23* loft (40.5" length) and a "7-wood" with 27.5* loft (my wife's). my son has Titleist (PT?) 5-wood that has 20* loft.

in 2005 most 23* wood be labled as 7-wood (now i see why Titleist does not designate a wood with a #, just lofts), but my 23* lofted wood is a "5-wood" according to Taylormade stamping on the back of the head

This now makes sense to me as in 1947, according to Ben Hogan's book, a 4-wood would have more loft than a 3-iron. my 3-iron's about 22* loft.

anyways, i've found a metalwood i can my "5-wood" consistantly off the fairway, 200+ yards. (I still can't tee off with it any better than a 15* 3-wood)...nearly the same distance and accuracy as a good sweep off my 3-iron (39", 22*loft), but a bit easier to do more consistantly.
    Last edited by ironman; 09-11-2005 at 05:59 AM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

> but my 23* lofted wood isa "5-wood" according to Taylormade stamping

That's pretty high; a "standard" 5-wood is around 19*.

like lofted woods

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfanbob
    > but my 23* lofted wood isa "5-wood" according to Taylormade stamping

That's pretty high; a "standard" 5-wood is around 19*.
    yes, times have changed, but now i understand why Ben Hogan recomended lofted 4-woods off fairway side bunkers and roughs, when the ball's on a good lie. and also to have a wood shot land with control on the greens: huge difference in trajectory and back spin from a 23* wood vs. a 15* wood.

also my wife's hitting her 27.5* lofted "7-wood" better than her 25* 4-iron or 15* 3-wood

Don't try to make sense of these fairwood lofts, they vary quite a bit. They are often meant to fit within a matched set and as such vary lofts from standard to give an equal spread of distances.

On another note, if you are hitting your fairway wood (wide sole, forgiving face) better than your 3 iron, why do you insist blades will serve your game better than wider soled, easier to hit clubs?
    It's not the Arrow, It's the Indian

give it time

Quote Originally Posted by Letitroll98
    Don't try to make sense of these fairwood lofts, they vary quite a bit. They are often meant to fit within a matched set and as such vary lofts from standard to give an equal spread of distances.

On another note, if you are hitting your fairway wood (wide sole, forgiving face) better than your 3 iron, why do you insist blades will serve your game better than wider soled, easier to hit clubs?

until i've tried this 40.5" 23* lofted fairway wood (which i suspect could be a women's wood ) i've been hitting my irons upto #3 better than my 15* 3-wood on fairways.

i've really liked my Apex FTX iron. These Titleist 670s are the widest soled blades Titleist offers and so far so good...i'm still in transistion phase in accamlating from my well liked Apex irons. I also have a Titleist DCI 762 6-iron, a "game improvment" CB type, which seem to be no easier to hit straight then my 670 6-iron, but the 670s feel (and look) better: maybe it's just "mental" but isn't golf mostly mental. granted, my golfing life maybe easier with Titleist 804.OS or Ben Hogan BH-5s, but my game has been improving steadily and well enough on blades that i like where i am headed.

modern forged muscle-backed blades are good...big difference from vintage blades from the past. the reason why iron club companies offer more than two or three kinds of sets for men is just more about marketing than about real performance differences, imho.

my current weak link in my game is in fairway wood shots and tee shots with woods. if would stay with 6-irons or shorter i feel i'm in reach of breaking 100 this month...but i want to learn to drive with woods and hit 230 yards straight off a fairway with a wood...eventually.

besides, irons are supposed to be more accurate then woods...so learnring all the irons is the first priority, esp. in regards to the mid and short game. oh and i took out my well liked Cleveland 60* lob wedge, so i'm forced to play with my new pitch wedge more often...i like it: had a couple of good chips with my pitch wedge on my game yesterday...close eough for one putt. i acutally used an 8-iron and pitch wedge for most of the holes, just to "dial them in"..on pars 5s though that lofted wood was nice.

personally, any golf student wishing to learn golf by practcing four or more times a week i'd recommend blades: Ben Hogan Apex 50 or Apex FTX or Titleist 690.MB, 680, or 670s.
    Last edited by ironman; 09-11-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Thread Information