|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

scrambles: love 'em or hate 'em?

i played my first few scrambles (didn't keep score)
    personally i do not care for this format, but it has it' place playing with complete beginners such as my wife and son and another golf neophyte friend.
    i find scrambles to be distracting, for the most part. i'd rather play it where it lies...
    Last edited by ironman; 09-11-2005 at 06:12 AM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

I love playing 4 man best ball scrambles, mainly because down here in Louisiana they usually come with unlimited free beer. My favorite is the annual Hooters Golf Scramble to benefit some charity or other (I believe it is a diabetes research foundation). With your entry fee, you get unlimited beer, hot wings, and hooters burgers AND it is all served up by hotties in orange shorts and tank tops. Plus, the entry fee goes to a great cause.

Oh, and you get to play golf too.

charity golf scramble with Hooters

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharris
    I love playing 4 man best ball scrambles, mainly because down here in Louisiana they usually come with unlimited free beer. My favorite is the annual Hooters Golf Scramble to benefit some charity or other (I believe it is a diabetes research foundation). With your entry fee, you get unlimited beer, hot wings, and hooters burgers AND it is all served up by hotties in orange shorts and tank tops. Plus, the entry fee goes to a great cause.

Oh, and you get to play golf too.
    now that there sounds like a lot of fun golfing: charity golf scramble with Hooters (hope some of them tank tops ladies are all 'naturals'): wings and beer and a good view on a golf course...man, i'd dig deep in my wallet for that chariy event. why i just gave money to some local "do gooder" where i didn't get to play any golf, was no beer nor wings, and definately did not wear any tank tops nor short shorts (wait that may have been a good thing, as was a young lady i'd not be wanting to hold my gaze at).

but if there're no charity, beer, wings, nor good natural views involved than i'd rather "rumble" than scramble for golf.

I love scrambles. It gives me a chance to try different types of shots, or to use the clubs I am less confident in. I'm more of a 5 or 7 wood type, so I'll pull out the 3 or 4 iron during a scramble to try and get more comfortable with those clubs.
    Also, typically during a scramble, you're with good friends in a much more relaxed atmosphere. Certainly makes for a good time. Then there's always the beer and food afterwards.

And you don't need a scramble to play best ball. It's a great way to play quickly on a busy day when playing with beginning golfers and kids. Everybody gets to hit, no one gets yelled at for holding up the whole course, and the kids don't feel bad about not hitting it over 100yds tee after tee.

Scrambles are a great entry into tournament golf. There are about a zillion in every local and most are very casual, often for charity causes. A few fall classics are still out there, go for it.
    It's not the Arrow, It's the Indian

yes

yes you folks are right, a great way for new or begginer golfers to play together.

question: is "best ball" practice goes all the to putting green or do you let individual do their own approach shots (under 50 yard, in an informal setting)?

is a good way for me and my wife (and anothe couple, new golfers) to play.

nevertheless, as my swing develops i find regular match play the best format among duffers that can play well under 14 minuit per rounds.

good thing i don't keep score on scrambles as i find them distracting to my swing tempo....
    Last edited by ironman; 09-12-2005 at 07:16 AM.

I absolutely love scrambles. I play probably 6-8 of them a year. I have a regular scramble four-some that I play with, 3 of us being 10-12 handicaps, and the other guy being a 1.5. It take alot of pressure off of you to score, and running in a twenty footer when your putting clean-up feels awesome. Play a few more, win a couple, bang the longest drive, than see what you think!!

Scramble vs. Best Ball

It's easy to get confused between a scramble vs. "best ball" tournament. The names are very misleading. I personally like "best ball" tournaments better than scrambles, but agree that scrambles are a great way to play with beginners for company tournaments and charity events, etc. I found the following description of each here.

The one thing both formats have in common is that teams typically have 2 or 4 golfers, competing against other teams.

Now, you might think that in a best ball format, you would use the best ball out of your team. Nope! In a scramble format, you might think that each player is scrambling around the course. Wrong again!

In a scramble, each player hits their own shot from the tee. The team then chooses the best shot. Players whose shots were not selected, go pick up their ball and the entire team shoots their second shots from where this “best shot” came to rest, (typically) with the option of shooting from within a club length of this “best ball” spot (except on the green of course). You cannot, however, move from rough to fairway, or fringe to green. After the second shot, this process continues as many times as necessary until a ball is in the hole. The team score for each hole is how many “best shots” were needed.

In a best ball format, each player on a team plays their ball from where it ends up (no “best shot” or picking up and moving the ball to another location). It can be viewed as each player playing a typical round of golf, with their own score for each hole. The team score for each hole is the lowest score by any one player. As an example, a team of 4 players shoot 4, 5, 4, and 6 on a hole. The team score for this hole would be a 4 because it was the lowest score.

Both formats have advantages and disadvantages.

By playing in a scramble, teams are able to put up some low scores, because there is a good chance that 1 out of 4 golfers will have a pretty decent shot. One thing I do find in scrambles is that players do no play their typical golf game. If the first player to tee of hits one safely down the fairway, every player after usually tries to crank one a mile, leading to bad habits.

When playing a best ball format, each player gets to play their own game. This gives everyone the chance to know how they scored for the course, because each player has an individual score for each hole. The team scores are usually much higher with this format, because it’s not a collective effort for each shot, like in a scramble.

When playing in a scramble, “Drive for show, put for dough!” In order to win, your team must be able to make putts of a decent length.
    Richard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

San Luis Obispo County Rated #1 for Golf in California by Golf Digest

Nike SQ Tour 9.5* NV 7.5 Stiff
    Orlimar 14*/22* Tri-metal
    Nike 22* CPR Hybrid Stiff
    Ping ZING2 3-PW/SW
    Ben Hogan Riveria 58* LW
    Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT Putter

Love both formats....Anything to break up singles tournaments. I have a lot more fun in a team than as an individual.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

I've never been fond of scrambles, or "best ball" type games. I do enjoy golf games on the course with others, but I've always liked the idea of playing my ball. Not saying I'll never play these, they just aren't on my "A" list.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

I personally love scrambles! I tend to lose my focus and this gives me a chance to try new shots and even if i hit a bad shot, you have other team members to make up for it. And if you play with good people you know its a lot more fun.

I hate scrambles they are a God send for the not so talented because they can hit it inot the trees and then end up with a birdie. i also fidn it is hard to concentrate and the round for me takes far to long but we wil have to put up with them because they aren't going to go away.
    Damm That Was Stiffled!!

Best ball scrambles are hella fun! There are always people for who the scramble is the only time they get out to play. This usually has hilarious results. And the amount of beer drinking makes the last few holes quite enjoyable. I have one scheduled on October 1st and I'm really looking forward to it.
    That said, it's definitely not the same thing as playing golf. I usually play much, much worse in scrambles because there is an element of overswinging on every drive, trying to hole out every iron shot, etc. And did I mention the drinking? My mindset on scrambles is to have a good time and not get all worked up about playing well.
    Best ball scrambles should only be played when the course rented out for that specific purpose, though. I played behind 6 foursomes playing a scramble a while back and had a super-fun 6.5 hour round.

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    I've never been fond of scrambles, or "best ball" type games. I do enjoy golf games on the course with others, but I've always liked the idea of playing my ball. Not saying I'll never play these, they just aren't on my "A" list.
    I have to agree with you!

Thread Information