|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Opinions on a new set of Irons

I have been playing on and off for about 25 years. This past summer I played a good deal and got bitten by the bug. I am currently playing with a set of Adams Irons I got for cheap off of the internet. I took a lesson earlier in the summer from a local club pro who basically chuckled at my clubs. Since then the guys I play with have convinced me that my clubs do not fit me properly. I have a good swing and when I hit the ball cleanly I get very good distance and a nice draw. However my lack of consistency puts me in the mid 90's every round.
    I have a few questions. I like the look of the Ping G2 HL, Callaway X-18 and Cobra 3400 I/HX Irons but haven't tried them yet. What does everyone think of these irons? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I want a set of irons that I can play for many years but I don't want to lose distance if I can avoid it.

Does a place like Golfsmith provide an accurate fitting for clubs? I do not belong to a club so I am looking for a place to get fiited. I am also uneasy of the salesman looking to make a buck. I would assume an outdoor place would be better but I don't have much of a choice.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks

The problem with all salespeople in sporting goods and golf stores (large and small) is that the knowledge and skill of the people who do the advising and fitting is so variable. You can get someone highly knowledgeable and helpful at Golfsmith or other megastore, or you can get someone who knows little and/or is there to push certain products. Does your pro do fittings, or would he recommend someone in particular?
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

My local driving range offers custom club fitting for $25. That doesn't mean you have to buy their clubs. My old clubs always left a divot with the toe side deeper, so I got my new clubs 2* upright & now my divots are flat.

Another Iron you might consider is the Mizuno MX-23, I love mine & it sounds like they may suit you well. I would include them in your comparision.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Lightbulb

The big question that you have to ask yourself:

Do you want to improve your swing or do you want to improve the results of your current swing?

The answer to this question will take you in 2 different directions, design-wise.

I like Mizuno, but I've read that they have a problem with chrome peeling or something like that.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]http://grouchygolf.blogspot.com/ [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

improve your swing or do you want to improve the results

Quote Originally Posted by maveric
    The big question that you have to ask yourself:

Do you want to improve your swing or do you want to improve the results of your current swing?

The answer to this question will take you in 2 different directions, design-wise.

I like Mizuno, but I've read that they have a problem with chrome peeling or something like that.

"... improve your swing or do you want to improve the results ..." now, that's a good question
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Thread Information