|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Cleveland CG10 Wedges

Where would you guys rate these wedges compared to the rest of the top wedges out there, a la 588, 900, Vokeys, RACs and/or Callaway forges?

I like the look and shape of them, and am most concerned about feel.

Thanks.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    Where would you guys rate these wedges compared to the rest of the top wedges out there, a la 588, 900, Vokeys, RACs and/or Callaway forges?

Thanks.
    IMO the Vokeys and 588s have much better feel than the CG10s, I hate the CG10s, I havent tried the CG11s, but I really think the Vokeys have the best feel. I have a Vokey 60* and a 588 56* and I try my friends CG10 all the time when we are practicing, I just don't like it, too firm for me.

I love my CG10, it's much better than the Vokey. I get great feel and I use it 90% of the time instead of the Vokey. It's a great club to have in the bag. You should try it out a couple times and see if you like it. I do.

A good point to make, try out all the wedges because feel is next to putters as the most personal clubs. Feel changes between player, just like me and tommysels

Oh, you can be sure I will be trying everything before buying. I am going to try to find a few demos to try because I hit the VIP's I just bought in a simulator and liked them, but have grown to hate them over the past few rounds. I am just interested in how players who have them find them feel...of course feel is a personal thing, and I will make my ultimate decision on just that...my feel, but at $170 per wedge, it makes me a bit more confident knowing that there is good press out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau

Thanks.
    Well, I have the CG10 56* one dot (which i think is 12* of bounce which Cleveland says is low) and I love it. It took a little getting used to as I had originally had a CXI wedge that matched my set and then a Nike wedge that had a ton of bounce. Once I got used to the look and feel it became a deadly weapon. I shoot in the 90's and my short game has come alive this season. I have never been able to spin any club, let alone a wedge, but with this one for some reason I can. I've even spun a few back towards the hole like you see on TV. Anyway don't let my excitement about the club fool you, I'm no pro or even a low handicapper. This club has given me a tremendous amount of confidence. As for distance, i'm not sure that even matters with a wedge, I get about 85-90yds with a nice smooth swing. I can't say enough about the wedge though, I could go on but I think this post is to long already.

Try out the Vokey Spin-milled before you make any purchase. I have both the 48* CG10 black pearl and the 60* Vokey Spin-milled. I prefer my Vokeys any time. Its probably the feel and control. But if you like the soft feel, CG10s are nice.

Mooze

Quote Originally Posted by m1muiz
    Try out the Vokey Spin-milled before you make any purchase. I have both the 48* CG10 black pearl and the 60* Vokey Spin-milled. I prefer my Vokeys any time. Its probably the feel and control. But if you like the soft feel, CG10s are nice.

Mooze
    Well, I have not tried the CG10's yet, but I have had 588's, both chrome and RTG, and I am using the VIP's now, which are forged, and I have to say I prefer the feel of the chrome 588 56* I had over the VIP...a little sharper...more of a "crack" off the club face. The leading edge on the Vokeys is very similar to that of the 588's, so I don't think adjusting between them would be too difficult...I might give them a try tomorrow.

The CG10s are very soft which is nice off the face but also results in them marking up quickly they take dings and knocks from the lest little stone or branch. They are nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    The CG10s are very soft which is nice off the face but also results in them marking up quickly they take dings and knocks from the lest little stone or branch. They are nice though.
    Therein lies one of the problems witht he VIP's too...the forged clubs scratch and ding easily. I have been doing a lot of thinking about it, and since I am buying three wedges, I am not sure I want to sheel out the cash for three CG10'a...will porobably try the 588's, Vokeys, and RAC's and decide between them.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I did a comparative test between the Cleveland CG10 and Vokey Nikel 56. This test consisted of hitting 150 balls with each club using a variety of shots (standard, partial, cut up, knock down etc.) I favoured the Vokey. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the CG10 it performed admirably over the entire range of shots and was in no way inferior to the vokey. Its just that the vokey felt better in my hands and was visually more appealing. Purely a personal assessment, just my 2 cents worth.

Well, I tried everything down at Golftown today while picking up my driver...well, not everything, but the main ones I was interested in. These are the ones I hit:

Cleveland 588 53*
    Callaway Forged 52*
    Cleveland 900 52*
    Cleveland CG10 54*
    Vokey 54*
    Taylor Made RAC 54*

I hit 10 balls with each. The most consistent shots I made were with the 588 and the RAC. I found the best feel was with the Vokey and the RAC, but I seemed to have a bit less control over the Vokey. The RAC, at $40 less than all the others, is the best deal, and is the one I hit the best (I made a point not to look at the prices before I hit them). I am going to get a 54* and a 58*. As wedges are my favorite clubs, I really enjoyed trying them all (I likehitting wedges more than drivers even). I think I will go with one of the dull finishes...maybe the black ones. Anyone have any experience with them...how do they last? Do they scuff up easily?

i own 588 60* ....love the feel of it ....the weight suits me perfectly and it has became one of my fav clubs ....

but again, do try different models/make before u made the decision ....

not to steal the thread, but does anyone know what degree is suitable for 50 - 70 yards range? is it 52* to 54* ?

Quote Originally Posted by fairway_view
    i own 588 60* ....love the feel of it ....the weight suits me perfectly and it has became one of my fav clubs ....

but again, do try different models/make before u made the decision ....

not to steal the thread, but does anyone know what degree is suitable for 50 - 70 yards range? is it 52* to 54* ?
    That would definitely depend on your swing speed and how much you deloft the face at impact. I carry a 52* 110-115 yards, a 56* 100 - 105 yards, and a 60* about 85 yards with my normal full swing, and a slight forward press.

I tried all the wedges I was interested in and the RAC beat them all out. I, too, like the weight, as it made for a very smoothe transition into the swing. I am looking at either the black or the satin finish...I believe there is an oil-can style finish with them too, and the cool thing is you don't have to pay more for the different finishes...they are all the same price.

CG10's

As a manager of a golf store, I've tried everything out there. The CG10's have a great soft feel and easy to control. If you are a fan of either gunmetal or oil can wedges, then the CG10's are a great wedge.

Now, I personally like the KZG forged wedges. An relatively unknown in the industry of wedges, I have two in my bag and absolutely love them. I've found them to be soft, easy to setup, and have excellent response and booming distance, I routinely hit them 10-15 yards farther than any other wedge I've owned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who wants to hit a wedge FAR? The objective for a wedge is to freaking SCORE. OMG, duh.

let me see... I want a wedge that goes as far as my 9iron, HELL YAH BABAY...
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Hit it far.

Well...I'm not so interested in far, as I am in closing the gap between my PW and my other wedges. I average around 135 with my pitching wedge, and with other wedges, my GW was about 105 yards. SW around 85 yards and my LW around 60. A huge gap. I prefer my wedges to not have 30 yard gaps between each, and the KZG's fit the bill.

I'm a 7 handicap so I know that scoring is the most important part of the game. And if I can hit a GW into a green, instead of an 8-iron, I'll take that any day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

They were my old carries. Right now my PW is around 135, I have it bent to 48 Deg, my GW carries around 120 and I have it bent to 53 degrees and my sw carries around 105 and I have it bent to 58 degrees, pulled out the LW when I switched to the KZG's. Not sure why the distance issues. But I'm pretty happy with the wedges and where they are at now.

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Golfnut
    Well...I'm not so interested in far, as I am in closing the gap between my PW and my other wedges. I average around 135 with my pitching wedge, and with other wedges, my GW was about 105 yards. SW around 85 yards and my LW around 60. A huge gap. I prefer my wedges to not have 30 yard gaps between each, and the KZG's fit the bill.

I'm a 7 handicap so I know that scoring is the most important part of the game. And if I can hit a GW into a green, instead of an 8-iron, I'll take that any day.
    Are those distances your carries...what is the loft of your PW, if I might ask. My PW is 46.5*, and I carry it around 125 - 130...usually 10 to 15 yards longer than my 51* GW. That seems odd to me that you would have your gap through lob bunched so close together, yet such a large disrepancy between them and your PW.

I was shopping for wedges recently, I tried the CGs & didn't care for the feel. I did like the Vokeys & Callaway forged, but ended up getting a set of Mizuno MP T Black Nickel. They had the same feel as the Titleist & Callaways, but were a bit cheaper & offered the lofts & bounce I was looking for. I bought a 51-06 gap, 56-13 sand, & a 60-08 lob. I'm real happy with them.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Golfnut
    Well...I'm not so interested in far, as I am in closing the gap between my PW and my other wedges.
    Now that makes a lot more sense, you had me confused originally. I agree, the wedge game should fill a need or a gap in your irons. They should also feel good and inspire confidence when you depend so heavily on them in todays game of Golf.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Thread Information