|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

This hole OWNS me!!

Does anyone else play a course where a particular hole (or holes) just kills you every time?
    I have played this course called Elks Run at least 25 times and I've parred #13 maybe once. It's a mid-range (395 yd) par four. It's a tight driving hole with trees blocking your 2nd shot unless it's hit 275+ or down the left side. The green has a stream running from the front right to back left, OB is long. The green is very long but shallow and sits at a 45 degree angle to the fairway.
    Last four times out, 6,7,9,7. The 9 came when I was 2 over for the round...
    Other people I play with handle it much better. It's in my head, and I even start thinking about f'ing it up when I'm on around #9.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Does anyone else play a course where a particular hole (or holes) just kills you every time?
    I have played this course called Elks Run at least 25 times and I've parred #13 maybe once. It's a mid-range (395 yd) par four. It's a tight driving hole with trees blocking your 2nd shot unless it's hit 275+ or down the left side. The green has a stream running from the front right to back left, OB is long. The green is very long but shallow and sits at a 45 degree angle to the fairway.
    Other people I play with handle it much better. It's in my head, and I even start thinking about f'ing it up when I'm on around #9.

as a generalization I used to think I just sucked at par 5s, but hole 8 at my home course was evil. An easy barely dog leg right, I believe 500 yards. I blew up most of the time,until one day I saved par from a bunker , and from then on the hole wasn't as chalenging. Same as the third hole, about 500 yards again, but a huge dogleg left. It wasn't as bad, but 1 out of 3 rounds I would get over a 8, it was bad. But eventually I made consistant bogeys and now I ocasionally have a putt for birdie but most of the time have a putt for par.

The 6th hole at one of the courses I used to play a lot used to kill me every time. It was a 530 yard par 5, straighter than a grizzly's dick, but narrow, with a tree-line on the left that went from 200 out all the way to the 100 marker, where it met a pond, and OB on the right (bad news for a lefty with a hook). I was usually lucky to get past that miserable hole with a double. Last fall I went back and played there for the first time in a while and parred it for the first time...big straight drive, 5 wood, chip, 2 putt. I didn't do the Rich Beam victory danse or the Mickelson jumping-jacks, but I was pretty pleased. Now, when confronted with holes that give me more trouble, I try to think about the ones I like that are coming up...puts me a better place mentally.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

I have a hole like that on one of my local courses. It is the second hole a short 115 yard par 3 with no fairway, just tee box, water, green. Ever since the first time I played the hole and shanked three wedge shots, 2 into the water, the hole OWNZ me.

I hate the fact that the hole messes with me that much, because the 8th hole is a 175 yard par 3 with no fairway; only water, and I have no problem attacking the pin off the tee. With pretty good success so far.

As for narrow or long par 5's, I love them. I have always loved the longer holes because I have always hit pretty long. Par 3's are my enemies because my accuracy stinks.

I have to agree with some of the comments by other individuals, a successful hole leads to another successful hole....etc, etc, etc....

Awe, more fundamentals to work on for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    The 6th hole at one of the courses I used to play a lot used to kill me every time. It was a 530 yard par 5, straighter than a grizzly's dick, but narrow, with a tree-line on the left that went from 200 out all the way to the 100 marker, where it met a pond, and OB on the right (bad news for a lefty with a hook). I was usually lucky to get past that miserable hole with a double. Last fall I went back and played there for the first time in a while and parred it for the first time...big straight drive, 5 wood, chip, 2 putt. I didn't do the Rich Beam victory danse or the Mickelson jumping-jacks, but I was pretty pleased. Now, when confronted with holes that give me more trouble, I try to think about the ones I like that are coming up...puts me a better place mentally.
    How straight is a grizzly's dick Brent? How did you get him to show it to you?

A couple courses I play (slopes 139 and 142) have some holes that you absolutely must drive the ball 250+ through a 15 yard wide passage through trees to carry a natural water or brush hazard. These holes are mental killers and I'm either in perfect shape for par or birdie, or easy double or triple with OB balls. A slight pull or push and the ball is OB in the woods on either side. I hate these holes as there is no bail out and you just have to commit to your target and let it rip.

There's another really short par 3 that just kills me. It's on a course I've played so much that I consider it my home course. It's a par 3 about 155 downhill with crap all in front, OB left, and a creek in front of the elevated green. Since it's downhill, it should be a nice 9 iron, but for the longest time the play for me was a 3/4 8 iron fat-hooked OB. I've had more birdies than pars, but more doubles or worse than bogies on this mofo. It's not in my head as much as it used to be, but I still get nervous on the tee.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    How straight is a grizzly's dick Brent? How did you get him to show it to you?

That depends on how pretty he thinks you are...the prettier, the straighter...I think it also applies to how tasty he finds you look and smell, although I don't suggest inspecting too closely unless you are carry a 375 Holland and Holland...460 cc drivers are bit sticks, but not even Tiger can match a Grizzly's swing speed...
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    That depends on how pretty he thinks you are...the prettier, the straighter...I think it also applies to how tasty he finds you look and smell, although I don't suggest inspecting too closely unless you are carry a 375 Holland and Holland...460 cc drivers are bit sticks, but not even Tiger can match a Grizzly's swing speed...

LOL! That's just crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    A couple courses I play (slopes 139 and 142) have some holes that you absolutely must drive the ball 250+ through a 15 yard wide passage through trees to carry a natural water or brush hazard. .

That's just downright EVIL!

There is a par 5 hole at a local course and the tee shot is over a marsh like area. You HAVE TO carry your tee shot over this area as it covers the entire width of the fairway. There is a slender opening on the left side about 200 yards away but it's narrow. If you hit it too far left then you are OB. I played this hole last November and I managed to hit that opening to the left but my ball roll into the edge of the marsh and I had to pitch out. I'll probably play this course in about a month or two and I'm still thinking about that hole.

try thinking like the tour players do when they approach a hole. they often think of the hole backwards from green to tee.

what distance and location in the fairway will set up my best chance for birdie?

what club do i need to hit to get to that point?

you'd be surprised that quite often your best tee shot may not call for your driver, but maybe a 5-wood, or iron. try taking thinking backwards from the middle of the green to the tee box. maybe this will help set up a better approach for you on this hole.

Par 4 dogs right up a hill and there is no place to land. You can play the right side and it might stay or end up in the left trees. The green is on top of the hill (+2 clubs at least) and slopes a ton. A bogey is a par for me on this hole. I've never gotten a par on this hole but I do have one birdie and a ton of boogies. The only birdie I ever got came from the biggest slice I can hit. I ended up on 17 fairway and hit a monster blind iron shot over the trees and sunk a 15 foot bender that would have run off the green and 10 yards down the fairway if it didn't go in (I know because I've done it before and seen it happen a 100 times). I trust that my birdie doesn't represent the best way to play the hole but it felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by C.B.
    Par 4 dogs right up a hill and there is no place to land. You can play the right side and it might stay or end up in the left trees. The green is on top of the hill (+2 clubs at least) and slopes a ton. A bogey is a par for me on this hole. I've never gotten a par on this hole but I do have one birdie and a ton of boogies. The only birdie I ever got came from the biggest slice I can hit. I ended up on 17 fairway and hit a monster blind iron shot over the trees and sunk a 15 foot bender that would have run off the green and 10 yards down the fairway if it didn't go in (I know because I've done it before and seen it happen a 100 times). I trust that my birdie doesn't represent the best way to play the hole but it felt good.

Sometimes you gotta do it any way you can!

Thread Information