|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shanks...I never knew!

While I've heard people talking about it, I never really knew what the term referred to...until this morning. I was at Golftown making my final decision on my wedges, which was down to TM RACS or Titleist Vokeys. At the end of the session, I began to balde the ball off to the left, about two or three feet in the air. My buddy said "shank" on the first one, and I proceeded to do the exact shot about 20 times in a row, with both clubs, and regardless of whatever efforts I made not to...it was sickening!
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

ahh yes, I have been battling a case of the shanks for 3 rounds now
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

I thought maybe I was skulling the ball a bit a cutting across it, but I even tried half swings coming straight down into the ball and I still was hitting the same spot. Are you doing it with wedges or irons? I have always had a really easy time hittingg wedges, and I hit about 100 bals leading up to that point, and just suddenly started doing that...wierd.

Brent you're a lefty, correct?

Leftys shank the ball to the left. Rightys shank the ball to the right. If you're a righty and dribbling the ball left, then it's a krappy shot but isn't a shank.
    Use caution in opening the overhead bin. Items may have shifted during flight.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    Brent you're a lefty, correct?

Leftys shank the ball to the left. Rightys shank the ball to the right. If you're a righty and dribbling the ball left, then it's a krappy shot but isn't a shank.
    Guilty as charged...I'm a Southpaw...although the "krappy shot" definition is still pretty accurate!

with the shanks, its usually from my 9 iron to my lob wedge.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Don't worry about it. We all do it, even the pros.

Just ignore it and they will go away, I hope.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]http://grouchygolf.blogspot.com/ [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by maveric
    Don't worry about it. We all do it, even the pros.

Just ignore it and they will go away, I hope.
    I get it from time to time usually on practice sessions with a wedge. I panicked the first time and it stayed for ages. Now I no it'll go so I start hitting balls inside another ball and after a few shots it usually goes. Also hitting full shots with a long iron seems to cure it. I don't know what triggers it though. The first time I'd been to a Ryder cup practice day and stood right next to Tiger while he practiced high lobs onto a green. He looked so lazy as he did it and I think that feel allied with my poor technique brought on this shot. It has to be the most horrible feeling in golf, worse than the 10 yard drive onto the ladies tee.

Just watch the U.S Open driving range scene in Tin Cup to learn how to cure the shanks. One of the funniest golf movie scenes of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by mpkelley20
    Just watch the U.S Open driving range scene in Tin Cup to learn how to cure the shanks. One of the funniest golf movie scenes of all time!
    "...you're not thinking about shanking...you're not thinking about the Doctor lady...you're just looking like a fool and hitting the ball pure"

Yah, that would look cute at a crowded Golftown store in a simulator!

Here's a paste from the screenplay if anyone is that interested. They may have changed bits in the actual film

TIN CUP Good thought, Pods...

Tin Cup waggles, shakes, limbers, addresses...

TIN CUP Dollar bills...

And he swings. THWOCK! A hideous shank squirrels across line, almost hitting a group of U.S. Open officials. Heads turn.

TIN CUP (to anyone who'll listen) Who hit that shot? Anybody see?

He addresses another one. And swings. THWOCK! A disaster. He crumbles.

ROMEO A little thin, Boss. TIN CUP

TIN CUP A little ****ing thin?! I still got the shanks! Everybody's watching! Christ, Simms is here...

Simms has arrived and is watching Tin Cup with delight as he loosens up.

ROMEO Maybe we should work on putting. Ya can't shank a putt.

Tin Cup pretends to limber a little more before daring to strike another ball.

TIN CUP If you're the Mexican Mac O'Grady, Romes, you gotta figure out why I'm still shanking the ball.

(beat)

What's the problem? I'm catching it on the hosel, right? Moving my head? I'm laying off it, I'm pronating, I'm supinating, I'm clearing too early, I'm clearing too late, I'm off plane, I ain't dropping in -- oh, God, my swing feels like an unfolding lawn chair.

ROMEO You got a virus in your brain. I got to kill the brain to kill the virus.

TIN CUP Anything. Kill me now!

ROMEO Put all your change in your right pocket.

Tin Cup follows orders, not questioning the logic.

ROMEO Very good. Now tie your left shoelace in a double knot.

Again, Tin Cup dutifully follows orders.

ROMEO Esta bueno. Now, turn your hat around backwards and put a blue tee behind your right ear...

TIN CUP I'll look like a fool.

ROMEO What you think you look like hitting those squirrelly chili peppers up Freddy Couples' ass, eh? Do what I say or I quit.

TIN CUP Okay, okay...

ROMEO Perfect... now hit a seven iron into that tree over there. You're ready.

Tin Cup hits a perfect seven iron into the trees.

TIN CUP How'd I do that?

ROMEO You ain't thinking about shanking, you ain't thinking about the doctor lady, you ain't thinking period. You just lookin' like a fool and hittin' it pure -- your natural state.

ROMEO You cured.

TIN CUP That's it?

ROMEO That's it. Your brain was getting in the way.

TIN CUP That's rarely been a problem. What now?

ROMEO Well, I should recommend you go work on your short game but I think it's better if you go get drunk instead.

Classic!!!
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I am suffering the same malady at present. Part wedges which go low and right - just horrible. I concentrate on my tempo and making sure I turn my torso through the shot. I had 14 in a row on the practice ground a couple of days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    I am suffering the same malady at present. Part wedges which go low and right - just horrible. I concentrate on my tempo and making sure I turn my torso through the shot. I had 14 in a row on the practice ground a couple of days ago.
    Sounds familiar!

I have the benefit if you can call it that of it happening a few times before so I know it can be fixed. The strange thing is that it usually appears just after I've been hitting them at my best? Usually after concentrating on the Driver. It can stay around for a few days. I never over practice wedges before playing as I'd hate to take that feeling onto the course.

I am not sure if mine are true shanks. I know exactly what is happening but when it is happening I cannot consciously fix it. It's real fun standing on a crowded practice tee shanking ball after ball. It can just come out of nowhere. It can go away just as fast.

MF

Thread Information