|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Left foot heel down or up?

Hi there

I don't remember exactly whre and when, but I once saw an article saying that in old times when Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, etc, were dominating, most golfers used to heighten up their left heels (in case for right handed players) at their back swing and they suffered much less injury compared to current pro golfers.
    I tried it myself and alas it was comfortable although I couldn't hit the ball as well as I do with my heel staying still on the ground.

I'm 40-year old and quite not flexible.

Will it be worth trying getting used to this heel-up backswing?

thanks

Doug

oops, sorry. I corrected

what's a "hill"? do you mean heel?
    Titleist 704, DG S300
    Titleist 904T 10.5
    Callaway 52d wedge
    Titleist Vokey Oil Can 60d wedge
    Adams redline 5 wood stiff flex steel
    4 Ball putter

Quote Originally Posted by Doug411
    Hi there

I don't remember exactly whre and when, but I once saw an article saying that in old times when Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, etc, were dominating, most golfers used to heighten up their left heels (in case for right handed players) at their back swing and they suffered much less injury compared to current pro golfers.
    I tried it myself and alas it was comfortable although I couldn't hit the ball as well as I do with my heel staying still on the ground.

thanks

Doug
    Actually Hogan says in his book "Five Lessons" that he never paid any attention to his left heel. That is to say that it either did or didn't depending on the length of his backswing, he never consciously made an effort to lift his heel. That being said some greats have always lifted their heel (Jack Nicklaus). I myself have to caution you, i started lifting my heel trying to make a more consistent turn and better contact. i never noticed until my buddy pointed it out that when i lifted the heel i would replant with my left foot pointing almost directly at the target line. This led to a whole mess of issues, just a word of caution.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    40?? a mere spring chicken. I am 47 and my heel does not rise at all in the back swing. I would let it do its own thing. If you do flexibility exercises and take general care of your back (e.g. whilst lifting etc.) you will not suffer injury by keeping your left heel planted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1013
    Actually Hogan says in his book "Five Lessons" that he never paid any attention to his left heel. That is to say that it either did or didn't depending on the length of his backswing, he never consciously made an effort to lift his heel. That being said some greats have always lifted their heel (Jack Nicklaus). I myself have to caution you, i started lifting my heel trying to make a more consistent turn and better contact. i never noticed until my buddy pointed it out that when i lifted the heel i would replant with my left foot pointing almost directly at the target line. This led to a whole mess of issues, just a word of caution.
    Dude! My playing partner just pointed out that I'm doing the same thing! I'd lift my heel, and replant it so that my foot pointed at the target. Would hit the worst slice ever. I've been working at keeping it planted completely, even sacrificing some turn. Now I'm hitting it straight again. Just good to hear someone else struggled with that.

Left foot

This is a very interesting question. Ironically, if we look at the older players (Hogan, Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, etc.) they all raised their front foot and they rarely suffered from back problems like today's players. Keeping both feet planted during the back swing IS (IMHO) the best way and the most consistent way to make contact with the golf ball. However, keeping both feet planted during the backswing, promotes much more strain on your back and requires additional flexibility.

I've always told people, that once you can no longer create a full backswing keeping your front foot on the ground, it's time to allow the front foot to raise.

I have found Yoga to be excellent at increasing flexibility. Basic stretching everyday will also help you stay with the modern swing longer.

Mike

Watching Tiger and other pros now on golf channel show they do not lift the left foot at all. I know I do from video. Want to try not to. Maybe I can coil better to hit longer and more consistently.

If you watch good players on tour, pga and senior, none lift their heel ( i think). I'm 40 too and don't have that problem, the only problem i run into is tendinitis from hitting balls off of mats at the range.......

I avoid driving ranges as much as possible, even to practice.

Before a round, i try to loosen up to warm up by hitting a few soft chips and easy putts. This relaxes me before playing and puts my tempo in an easy mode to start - has done wonders for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    Watching Tiger and other pros now on golf channel show they do not lift the left foot at all. I know I do from video. Want to try not to. Maybe I can coil better to hit longer and more consistently.
    As was mentioned earlier, Nicklaus did this and I believe Penick taught this as well. Both indicated that it adds to you swing and that most golfers should do this to gain distance. They even sight that guys like Woods do not, nor do recent instructors teach this, but if you had a swing like Woods, you do not need the extra distance. All that endorse lifting the heel further indicate that it is something that should come naturally, and not something you should give thought to on the swing. They just indicate that it is also not something you should try to inhibit.

another thread on the same topic:

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=5506

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    40?? a mere spring chicken. I am 47 and my heel does not rise at all in the back swing. I would let it do its own thing. If you do flexibility exercises and take general care of your back (e.g. whilst lifting etc.) you will not suffer injury by keeping your left heel planted.
    I'm 46 and I have to agree. It has more to do with flexibility and physical conditioning than it does with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug411
    Hi there

thanks

Doug
    In my mind it's just another body movement that has to monitored and maintained in order for your swing to work properly. As with most mechanical movements and operations the fewer parts you have to maintain the less chance you have of something breaking down.

I have done both during my time playing golf. Mainly I have done this from lack of concentration. I find that when I keep my foot planted, I hit more consistently and with more distance. This is, as has been already pointed out, due to the torque created by maintaining a relatively still lower body while the upper body rotates. Like twisting a rubberband. I have friends, both young and old, who lift their front heel. For the younger guys, it's due to lack of concentration and usually leads to a sharp slice since their body out races their arms on the downswing, leaving the club behind. In my older friends (read: 50+), it is a necessity allowing them to make a longer shoulder turn and giving them more distance. I would suggest you do what feels comfortable. If you aren't very flexible, this will help you turn more. If you are flexible enough to create a normal turn, try keeping it down. It works for me. Whatever you choose, remember to practice it and stick with it.
    [COLOR="Red"]TaylorMade R7 Quad 7.5* Driver
    TaylorMade Retro Tour Spoon 13* 3 Wood
    TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP 16*, 19* and 22* Hybrids
    TaylorMade Rac OS2 5-PW
    TaylorMade Rac Black 54* SW
    TaylorMade Rac Fe2O3 58* LW
    Odyssey 2 Ball 33" Putter

Drive For Show, Putt For Dough!!![/COLOR]

Hi all here is my two cents for this topic. I used to lift my left heel al the time. however i had lessons last year and that was one of the first things my pro got me to stop doing. I had a very bad slice and after my lessons i don't do that any more. All people are different but i know for myself it helped me alot by keeping my foot down.

IMHO, the reason why left heel are raised is because the shoes back then hasnt got much sufficient traction. When I first started playing with running shoes my left foot would be all over the place. The only way I can secure it is to base it down like a baseball hitter. The sole of my left foot would act as a pivot when I want a big swing. Todays golf shoes are alot better than ever before.

Thread Information