• 2-ball; because of aligment system/looks

1 25.00%
  • Monza Corza; because of feel/roll

3 75.00%
  • Monza Corza; because of alignment system/looks

0 0%
  • No difference

0 0%

Putter length- anyone ever cut it shorter?

I am having a major dilemma here... I am planning to get a new TM Monza Corza putter, but the importer tells me they only bring in the 35" length Corza.. this is ridiculous as I am living in Malaysia and you wont find many 6-footers around. I am only 5'6" tall.. the longest comfortable putter for me is 34". My question:

1) can I just buy it and cut it 1 inch shorter? maybe compensate the weight loss with lead tape? or there isnt any difference at all?
    2) anyone done it?

I read in previous articles about getting different grips that would compensate for the weight, but I like to keep the original look.

Also I read in Golf Magazine about getting the correct putter length.. they didnt recommend cutting it saying it alters the swingweight(obviously), feel, how head reacts, bla bla..

Really need your expert opinions..

p/s: definite NOT order from overseas, shipping alone costs more the the club!

cheers,

Mooze

SORRY: meant to be "Which Putter?"

You might be able to compensate for the loss in weight with the Corza's weight system. It comes with 2 6grams weights. If you put in 2 10 gram weights you're adding 3 swingweight points to it. But I wouldn't recommend it.

My friend had a 35" Daytona 1. He had it cut down to 33", then switched putters and gave it to me. Even though I was making some decent putts with it on occasion, it felt very light in my hands and I was having difficulty with distance control. Inside 10-15 feet I'd make 7/10 putts, but put me outside of 15 feet I'd have problems even lagging it to within 5 feet.

I prefer a heavier putter anyway, but I had a discussion with one of the folks at Scotty Cameron a few weeks ago, and they recommend adding 10 grams for every inch you cut off. I shortened a Futura Phantom from 35" to 33", and since I'm a lefty, I couldn't get it in a 33". So I went to the local machine shop (where my trusty father works) and had 2 weights machined to fit in the cavities in the putter head. I taped them in and gave it a shot, loved it, so I went back and epoxied them in. I don't know the exact weight, but it's fairly heavy, and even looks original.

TheRod
    "Fairways and greens, and don't forget to wave."

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I had a Scotty Cameron Red X 2 cut down from 35 inches to 331/2. The club maker re-weighted the club with tungsten poweder to restore it to the original weight.

I read more than one article stating that the corza states that it is a 35" putter but is actually 34 1/4 inches long. At that rate you might not even have to have it trimmed.

Quote Originally Posted by golfsalot27
    I read more than one article stating that the corza states that it is a 35" putter but is actually 34 1/4 inches long. At that rate you might not even have to have it trimmed.

Good point. I did notice putting a corza near another 34inch putter and it was barely 1/2 inch longer. But it still felt a tiny bit longer (mental perhaps? :P )

I apologise for my ignorance, but if I chop the top off, would the swingweight become more or less? This would decide the location of the weights, correct? ie. if the swing weight increases, weight needs to be added at the grip.

cheers,

Mooze

Thread Information