|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Any of y'all use a 7 wood or 9 wood?

Hiya folks

Just curious if any of y'all have a 7 or 9 wood in your bag. I was always able to hit fairway woods off the turf quite well, but was in desperate need of a 200 yard club off the turf. I could hit 3 and 4 irons off the tee quite well, but off the turf they were giving me some trouble, and costing me strokes during a round. The teacher I was using back then (still see him once or twice a year for a tune up) saw how well I could hit my other fairway woods (3 and 5), and suggested I try a 7 wood for that particular distance off the turf. I found one on eBay for $8.00 to experiment with (a brand new 25* Rawlings cheapie w/graphite shaft) and tried it out - it has been in my bag ever since. It was the answer for 200 yard shots off the turf - straight, accurate, and landed soft enough to hold a green from 200 yards. As my swing improved and became more efficient, I found that the distance of this club had now increased to more like 220-225 yards, so I was in need of a good 200 yard club once again. I was starting to hit the 4 iron off the turf much better, but would still get the occasional fluffed shot. I acquired a 29* 9-wood for my 190-200 yard turf shots, and can now take aim at pins from 190-200 (185 if I choke down) with confidence. I find them extremely easy to hit off the turf compared to a regular iron (rarely rarely mis-hit), and distance control/accuracy are extremely pleasing. The ball lands so soft with the 9 wood that it might move 1 foot from where it lands, it always hits and holds. I get some funny looks from some of the fellas at the course when they see how many woods I have in my bag - apparently it's not too cool to use a 9-wood. For me, being confident and hitting greens is much better than looking cool. I found it kinda funny a couple of months ago, our normal Sunday 4th did not show up, we got teamed up with a walk on as a 4th in our group. This fella was a lefty too, and was questioning (almost knocking) my choice for club assortment in my bag with so many woods for pretty much the whole front nine. When we played the back nine, the conversation was more like "where did you get it from", "how much was it?" to "can I try it?" on hole 17 (185 yard uphill par 3). The round ended with " Geez, I gotta get one of these things!" I guess the moral of this babbling story is that it's cooler to shoot an 82 with un-cool clubs, than it is to shoot 95 with cool clubs. These things have saved strokes off my game, and ya gotta go with what works.

Small disclaimer here - by no means am I knocking guys who use 2, 3, and 4 irons off the turf. I admire any well struck shot, and truly appreciate anytime someone does hit one of these long irons well off the turf, it's a thing of beauty (and I do know how hard those shots are to hit with long irons) - it just didn't work for me is all I'm saying, 'cuz I can't do it consistently - but I can with the 7 and 9 woods. I'm actually thinking of getting a 21* V-Steel or Hogan, so I can mix my assortment of fairway woods for certain courses I play. I Currently have V-Steel 15* and 18*, a Rawlings 25*, and a TNT 29* fairway woods. I think that with a 21* I could remove either the 18* or 25* for certain courses. It would be kinda nice to have more options for things I am so confident with.

Anybody else use a 7 or 9 wood?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I carry a 7 wood for times when I have odd lies and am far enough out that I need to hit a long iron. That's actually the only fairway wood that I carry. I have a 2 iron instead of a 3 wood. I will say that it's not often that I take my 7 wood out of my bag, maybe once every 3rd round.

I carry a 3 wood and a 7 wood Mizuno MP001. I don't use my Titleist Driver. I carry the 3 wood about 220 yards and the 7 about 180. They are both very easy to hit of the turf and I use the 7 also for long par threes down to about 170 when I just stroke it gently for a bit less distance.

It's very straight as long as you don't try too hard. I saw a 9 wood very cheaply the other day but held back as I think the 7 is enough.

I've got an uncle that uses a Callaway 9-wood, and he loves it. I took it out and tried it one round & it worked great, too. I didn't buy one of them, but bought a 7-wood instead, and just couldn't be as accurate with it as I could with my 3-iron. I can hit my long irons just fine, so i ended up going back to them.

My brother is a very long hitter, and he carries a 7-wood. He can shape his shots with it really well, and probably uses it off the tee at least 1-2 times a round on doglegs, and also uses it off the fairway. He can hit it an obscene distance off the tee when he wants, better than you could imagine. Anyway...

I agree with you about preferring the results you get instead of 'looking good' carrying just long irons. Use what works for you, folks. Regardless of brand, regardless of ego, if you need a fairway wood to be confident on the shot, use it. If you can effectively putt from 6' off the green, but can't chip to save your life, putt it. Practice chipping, but putt it. I stupidly used a 9.5* driver for two full years, thinking I could change my swing to fit the driver. I was disappointed every time I teed off. I bought the same driver in a 10.5*, and loved it. Drives were MUCH better, all because I was using the right equipment for my swing.

I carried a 7-wood in my bag for years. Last year I experimented with a hybrid club, and haven't let go of one since. I like them so much, I put another in the bag, and took my 5-iron out. So it's driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 2 utility clubs, and then 6-lw. And my index slowly continues to fall, down now to around 4 or 5.

TheRod
    "Fairways and greens, and don't forget to wave."

I used to play Callaway VFT 1,3,5,7,and 9 woods. Then hybrids came out, my game improved, and I was using driver, 3 & 5 wood, and hybrids (Mizzy Fli-Hi's), but still the VFT 9 wood. Then my clubs got stolen, I've been experimenting with lots of clubs - irons, hybrids, etc., and find that head to head I hit nothing better than Callaway VFT fairway woods.

So.......now I play driver (Callaway Fusion), Callaway VFT 2,4,7,9 woods! My swing has improved so I actually hit the 2 better than I used to hit the 3, the 4 better than I used to hit the 5. I am finding the distance of the 7 (20 degree) and 9 (23 degree) too similar at times, and may experiment with only using one of them and using a hybrid or 3 or 4 iron, but I suspect I'll just keep both in the bag, especially with winter coming - I find the 7 and 9 woods especially easier than irons or hybrids in wet/damp conditions.

Yes, it's a bit embarrassing to be a 10-12 handicap and carry all those fairway woods, but I'll take the results over the perception every time.

By the way, I'm 49 and hit my driver about 230-240. The 20 degree 7 wood is a 190-205 club for me, the 23 degree 9 wood is 170-185.

i plan to..

i plan to own a 7-wood or a 9-wood (22*~25*) and a similarly lofted hybrid, eventually, for roughs and fairway bunkers, as my mid-iron shots gets slowed down mowing down on the rough.

back in 1947 a 4-wood may have had more loft than a 3-iron which back then had about 25* loft. right now, i'm focused on my short game, shorter irons, and breaking 100, on a regular basis before i add any more clubs to my inventory. 14 sticks are a lot to learn already.

i wounldn't give a fig about what others thought. for a while i tried my wife's 23* short "5-wood" (40"), but found it to be wippy and not much easier to be consistant than with my own 3-wood, which is a tempermental beast for me on the turf . i have better control and about the same distances with turf woods as i do with my 3- or 4-iron.

my 2-iron's fantastic in distance (200 yards) and trajectory when it works...but , to no one's surprise, it aint reliable (esp. off the rough)...yet.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRod
    I carried a 7-wood in my bag for years. Last year I experimented with a hybrid club, and haven't let go of one since. I like them so much, I put another in the bag, and took my 5-iron out. So it's driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 2 utility clubs, and then 6-lw. And my index slowly continues to fall, down now to around 4 or 5.

TheRod
    "Fairways and greens, and don't forget to wave."

I've been playing just over a year and I'm still working on hitting my 3 and 5 woods reliably off the deck. Several months ago I took my 3 and 4 irons out my bag went with hybrids. Even my best long iron shot can't match the trajectory or distance I get out of my hybrids.

Still carry a 7 wood it hasn’t replaced my 3 iron because it goes a club longer. Carried a Mizuno forged 9 wood but gave up on it. It had such a tiny head and was so unforgiving that it was harder to hit straight than a 4 or 5 iron.
    Strangely I hit more poor shots with the 7 wood than my 4 wood same model so it isn’t that I don’t know what causes it.
    Tried a couple of rescues but didn’t get on with either have been thinking about trying again recently, replace the 3 iron with something easier but keep the distance gap.

> it's cooler to shoot an 82 with un-cool clubs, than it is to shoot 95 with cool clubs. These things have saved strokes off my game, and ya gotta go with what works.

Exactly! Hey, Vijay carrys a 9-wood, so I guess that makes you cool.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I carried a 7 wood for a long time as a replacement for my 3 iron. However, of late, I have found a 21 degree hybrid more versatile.

I love my callaway steelhead III with uniflex shaft. Im a 4 handicap and have no need for a 3 iron. i have 4 wedges so depending on the course I choose between 3W & 4W. 7 wood is easier to hit than hybrids IMO

Quote Originally Posted by auggiewest
    I love my callaway steelhead III with uniflex shaft. Im a 4 handicap and have no need for a 3 iron. i have 4 wedges so depending on the course I choose between 3W & 4W. 7 wood is easier to hit than hybrids IMO

I love my Orlimar 7wood.

Quote Originally Posted by auggiewest
    Yea I second that. I love my steelhead III 5w with the Uniflex shaft. It goes a consistent 190 yards off the deck and on the tee it goes 215-220.

Talking lately, loving woods. looking for a 7-wood

in the past week, my woods shots made a dramatic improvements. I'm full of joy on my 1 wood drives, my 3-wood S300 is now repeatable (well, better than my long irons) on or off deck. my longer irons still are "Dr. Jeckle & Mr. Hide" like.

I plan to get a Titleist 7-wood (22* or 23*) in Stiff graphite because:
    1. Ben Hogan and Tommy Armor highly touted a 4-wood for long shots from roughs and FW bunkers (on a good lie) and back in 1947 & 1952 ?) when they wrote this thier 4-wood had about same amount of loft as thier 3-irons, which would now be at about 23*. Jack Nicklaus's golf instruction book is also high on my list.
    2. I do not want to get a hybrid (C. Halo 19*) until i can nail my 2- and 3-irons first (say good 3+ out of five shots), but until then i'd like a 7-wood for when betting is one the line and i got 220 yards to go to the greens.
    3. I'm a retro/traditionalist, in style (for non-electronic stuff).
    4. my son has a 20* 5-wood R300 already that i can use, so we might as well play with a 7-wood and see the difference.

I have a late 1960s set of Voit and NorthEastern persimmon woods (1, 2, 3, & 4) i'm saving to use if i get to level near Scratch. That could be years away, if ever...
    Last edited by ironman; 10-25-2005 at 08:56 AM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Towards the end of this season, I actually dumped ALL of the fairway woods out of my bag... At present it's Driver, then straight to the hybrids (Sonartec MD's).

It's just a better fit for me - for my particular swing style/mechanics, etc., the MD's perform as well if not better than any fairway I've ever hit off the tee, and they're WAYYYYYY easier than any FW I've ever hit off the deck. It was a no-brainer. Of course your results may vary. Cheers.

I carry both a 7 and 9 wood. The 7 I use from around 210/215. The 9 from around 190.

Cool Any of y'all ....

When I was younger (I'm 53 now), I had no use for a fairway wood except on the longest par 5's or on 190-225 range par 3's. Years ago, I carried Wilson 1200 3, 4 and 5 woods (yeah, woods made of actual wood!) and used them maybe once per round. Later, I traded in the Wilson's for a Ping Eye2 3-wood and 4-wood but used them seldom as well.

Now that I typically hit my drives 200-230 yards, I find myself using fairway woods always on par 5's and now on many longer par 4's as well. I use my 7-wood (Cally 2004 BB SS 21* with a UST V2 65 Proforce shaft) at least 5 times a round. I use it from the rough where the lie is too poor to dig the ball out with my 5-wood and from the deck for 170-185 yard shots. When I look at my bag, it may be the club I use fourth-most often after my putter and driver of course, and my SW for chips around the green. Last Sunday, for example, I smacked a beautiful 7-wood shot about 210 yards, leaving me a 60-70 yard LW shot to get on in regulation on a 510 yard par-5 hole. This is an exceptional shot for this club, but for me it's a very consistent club that I can rely on any time for a fairly long shot from any lie - good or bad. My only gripe (have some cheese with that whine) is that I wish the clubhead was slightly bigger like the Cobra SS or SZ stainless woods.

I tried to use a Tight Lies 28* 9-wood and I hit it 120-140 yards with the trajectory of a PW or GW. Plus, more often than not I'd pop it up with the loft of a LW out of the rough. After few rounds with it, it came out of my bag and will be ready for my subdivision's annual garage sale next June. Looking for a good home ....

I'm carrying a 7w as my 200-210 club. I absolutely love it except for high wind days. The club is so kind compared to a 3 iron and I look forward to most Par 5's (less than 500 yds) as I'm routinely putting for eagle after I knock it on with the 7 wd. I've tried several hybrids Taylormade TP Mid Rescues, and Callaway Heavenwoods (Up for sale on ebay right now) and I just can't hit hybrids as well as fairway woods or for that matter irons. My woods are the easiest clubs to hit in the bag and I rarely hit a bad shot when I have one in my hand. I probably would not reccomend a 9 wood unless your swing speed is fairly low as the trajectory would be extremely high and be highly influenced by any wind.

Just picked up another 7-wood

I just picked up another 7-wood to add to the bag. This one is a Hogan C455 21* I already have a 7 (a 25*), but now I have a 15*, 18*, 21*, 25*, and 29* I think the 15* and 29* will stay in the bag, and I will use two of the 18 21 or 25* clubs depending on what course I play on. I got a chance to hit the Hogan last Sunday, it is a VERY nice club to hit, and feels very simular to my 15* and 18* V-Steels. Got the Hogan from 3-Balls on eBay for $40.00 (in beauty condition too!!). It's gonna be a LOOONG winter Oh well, something to look forward to in spring I guess.

Regards,

Bert

After dropping the 7 wood for a couple of years, due to a Callaway that I simply hooked too much, I recently added a 21 degree mate to a Wishon 5 wood that I wouldn't be caught dead without. On my home course, there are 3 potential uses for the 7 wood in any round. First, we have three par 3s in the 185-200 yard range, so a couple of them per round will be fodder for the 7 wood (which I carry maybe 180 and occasionally roll to 200). Next, any long shot from the rough that isn't sitting up too well is fodder for the 7 wood. If the ball is sitting fairly well, my 5 wood is dependable, but if it's down a bit more, the 7 wood is a better choice. Finally, if I have a longish fairway shot and don't want to get too close, the 7 wood may be a better choice than my 5 wood. Even though the difference in carry distance is only 10 or so yards between the two clubs, the flight of the 5 wood is a little hotter, so it may roll out to 220 or more, even on level ground. A yardage I try to avoid is anything inside 70 yards, unless it's chip-on distance, because our greens tend to be a little softer in close, and hard-hit wedges can get tricky up close. If I could get a 9 wood exactly like my 7 wood, I'd probably replace my next club in line, a 24 degree hybrid. I'd prefer to have the same shot shape on all of those clubs in a certain yardage range, just because it's easier to do course management when you know which direction the ball is going to move in flight. My hybrids fly darned straight, but my fairway woods all work a little right to left.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

I used to carry a 7 wood, but then my testicles dropped.

Just kidding....I liked the 7 wood and hit it well, but the trajectory was too high for the wind at my course. So I switched to a TM Rescue #3. I think the loft is only 2* lower, but I hit the Rescue at a much better trajectory. The 7 wood was graphite and the hybrid is steel, so that might have helped with the trajectory also.

Later

Thread Information