|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

probably a stupid question about distance...

hi guys, i have lurked around these forums for a while now and finally had something that i needed answered. i've been having trouble with my approach shots coming up short lately and i couldn't remember if the yardage markers for the holes (i.e., 200, 150, 100) are to the front of the green or to the pin.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    It varies from course to course. Most are to the centre but if you are unsure the chap in the pro shop will put you right. I find course planners more useful as they give distances from various prominent features on each hole. Many planners measure to the front of the green and give the depth of the green to cater for differing pin positions.

Most courses where we live in the States don't have course planners unless you make them yourself. Of course I make them myself. :-)

any idea if courses in the states are more likely to use the middle of the green or the front?

distances

Quote Originally Posted by krs1pitt
    any idea if courses in the states are more likely to use the middle of the green or the front?
    Like I said it varies but if the US is anything like the UK then the majority of static markers will be to the centre.

probably the most stupid answer but ...

you can maybe invest in a distance measurement tool ;)
    such as this kind : http://www.americangolfparis.com/gol...d_produit=2242
    (in french)

helpfull ??? i don't know, never tested..
    i said my answer was stupid ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    [B]-=aXno=-[/B]
    PS : Please excuse my english ....

http://www.axno.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Most courses where we live in the States don't have course planners unless you make them yourself. Of course I make them myself. :-)
    Ofcourse we call them yardage books here in the U.S ;). It is disappointing that only about 30 - 40% of the courses have them available. Quite a few courses have GPS carts and with the course layout on the scorecard should give a good idea on the distances. I have started avoiding tough unfamiliar courses if they dont have yardage books or GPS. Just leads to a lot of frustration as you never know the carry distances to clear hazards.

I've played a lot of course across the country, and the distances are always to the middle of the green. The reason the distances aren't to the pin is because the pin location is changed frequently, and it would mean changes the distance markers constantly.

Also, many nicer courses do provide or sell yardage books that will tell you the width & depth of the fairway & green. I've found these to be very useful when available.

Lastly, if you have any doubts, just ask the starter at the course you're playing. And no, it's not a stupid question at all...

Quote Originally Posted by +to0to-
    Ofcourse we call them yardage books here in the U.S ;). It is disappointing that only about 30 - 40% of the courses have them available. Quite a few courses have GPS carts and with the course layout on the scorecard should give a good idea on the distances. I have started avoiding tough unfamiliar courses if they dont have yardage books or GPS. Just leads to a lot of frustration as you never know the carry distances to clear hazards.
    C'mon now whatever happend to taking a W.A.G (Wild A** Guess) and going for it. ;)

If you've been playing golf for while you should be able to gauge distance and know how far you hit your clubs. And of course when in doubt about a hazard you can always lay up.

In my experience, once you have used yardage markers for a while it becomes more and more difficult to guage distances with your eyes.

On the subject of yardage books, they are great on some couses but for others thay are a waste of time. If there is no suitable bunker, thay often mark the distance from a supposedly prominent tree. When you look, it could be any one of the 20 lining that part of the fairway!

Most often distance markers are to the centre of green in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by ce_me_golf
    C'mon now whatever happend to taking a W.A.G (Wild A** Guess) and going for it. ;)

If you've been playing golf for while you should be able to gauge distance and know how far you hit your clubs. And of course when in doubt about a hazard you can always lay up.
    I'm not very anal but... I'm lost without a marker. I've been playing for a very long time and HATE courses without markers. Yes, they're almost always to center of the green btw.

It's part of my routine to know the yardage to the pin on anything reachable... I walk it off from a sprinkler on my way to the ball so it doesn't slow up my pace of play at all. If I'm off line I'll ask for help from someone in the fairway etc...

Not sure it really effects my score but it effects my mental preparation for the shot as I can go for it with full confidence. I am a fair judge of distances by eyeball but I'll still look if it's available.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    It's part of my routine to know the yardage to the pin on anything reachable... I walk it off from a sprinkler on my way to the ball so it doesn't slow up my pace of play at all. If I'm off line I'll ask for help from someone in the fairway etc...
    So you're that guy that wants to know if you're 171 or 173 from the pin, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_christmas2
    So you're that guy that wants to know if you're 171 or 173 from the pin, huh?
    Nah, no way I'm that bad...

I'd be happy just knowing I'm between 170-175 from the center of the green. I'll work out if the pin is deep or shallow etc.

Seriously though, to make a confident swing I want to know if I'm cranking it or laying off a bit... proper distance helps in that regard. Wow, if only I could play as well as I think
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

thinking too much

golf: look, visualize, set up, align, look again...grip it and rip it!
    field archery (65# recurve): i use "instinctive" aiming..., relax, pull, pause breath, look at the target, lead hand centered, "pluck" release, follow through.
    hunting rifle (308): i do take a lot more time aiming (iron peep sights) and distancing targets past 150 yards.
    skeet/trap (12): grip it, swing it, squeeze, follow through

look, grip, aim, swing, follow through.

seems like some of y'alls thinking too much
    Last edited by ironman; 10-21-2005 at 08:52 AM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

I'm with ironman... I think that use of yardage markers ruins our natural ability to gauge distance. I try to limit my use of markers to the 100, 150 and 200 yardage markers.

If you're playing catch with your son, do you mark off the yardage first to make sure you take your arm back the right amount? When you play basketball, do you mark off the yardage before you shoot? In hockey, do you calculate yardage before making a cross-ice pass? In golf, do you mark off the yardage before putting to determine how many inches to take your putter back?

No, you let your natural instincts take over. Like ironman says... look, aim, fire.

I try to do the same in golf - whether putting, chipping or striking the ball from the tee or fairway. I never think to myself - I'm 80 yards out so I need a 60% backswing with my wedge. I just look at the target, then visualize the desired flight of the ball and let it go. The key is practice! The more you practice and play, the better your body knows what to do (and what club to choose) under different circumstances.

After a while, you can just look at the pin from the fairway (or rough) and know with confidence - I'm a 7-iron away.

Then when you miss, visualize that chip going right in the hole ;)
    Richard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

San Luis Obispo County Rated #1 for Golf in California by Golf Digest

Nike SQ Tour 9.5* NV 7.5 Stiff
    Orlimar 14*/22* Tri-metal
    Nike 22* CPR Hybrid Stiff
    Ping ZING2 3-PW/SW
    Ben Hogan Riveria 58* LW
    Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT Putter

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    seems like some of y'alls thinking too much
    As Golfslo stated basically all I need are the 100, 150, and 200 yard markers. I just walk past a marker and count my paces and subtract, then pick the appropriate club based on lie, wind, potential harzard etc and swing.

I was watching the PGA Championship this year and they interviewed an instructor. One thing he said really stuck with me:

"Golf is a simple game but it's not an easy one!" ;)

As Golfslo stated basically all I need are the 100, 150, and 200 yard markers. I just walk past a marker and count my paces and subtract, then pick the appropriate club based on lie, wind, potential harzard etc and swing.

I was watching the PGA Championship this year and they interviewed an instructor. One thing he said really stuck with me:

"Golf is a simple game but it's not an easy one!" ;)

I'm on the same boat, I see the marker and can tell how far from the pin. It's a crucial part of my game.

Quote Originally Posted by golfslo
    I never think to myself - I'm 80 yards out so I need a 60% backswing with my wedge.
    This train of thought doesn't align with the teachings of Dave Peltz. ;)

As long as there's some indicator of 150 yards, whether it's a tree, bush or pole, I'm good. I really like it when a course has the sprinkler heads marked, then I can subtract from the total distance of the hole to indicate how far I am from the tee box, guess the yardage to the adjacent green & make my approach shot.

I did read most of The Short Game Bible & concerning distances, I get better results from feel & experience, than trying to figure out what each wedge does at 7:30, 9:00, & 10:30. I have figured out distance & trajectory of my 9, 7, & 4 irons on 1/2 swings at the range. It helps me get a bit closer when I'm hitting out from under or through the many trees around here.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Completely disagree with that..... the more information you have, the less wild your misses will be.

Put the average pro on a course with no distance markers, and they'd suffer.

Distances etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrup
    This train of thought doesn't align with the teachings of Dave Peltz. ;)

As long as there's some indicator of 150 yards, whether it's a tree, bush or pole, I'm good. I really like it when a course has the sprinkler heads marked, then I can subtract from the total distance of the hole to indicate how far I am from the tee box, guess the yardage to the adjacent green & make my approach shot.

I did read most of The Short Game Bible & concerning distances, I get better results from feel & experience, than trying to figure out what each wedge does at 7:30, 9:00, & 10:30. I have figured out distance & trajectory of my 9, 7, & 4 irons on 1/2 swings at the range. It helps me get a bit closer when I'm hitting out from under or through the many trees around here.
    Dave Peltz's methodology is not surprising considering his background (he was a rocket scientist with NASA if believe). It was also the result of an immense amount of data gathering. The Peltz "method" works well if you are of have an analytical way of working but is a bit restricting if you are more instinctive. However some of his thinking on the actual method of making a finesse swing and how the ball reacts under varying circumstances holds good whether your are systematic or instinctive.

Thread Information