|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Dings and scratches on MX-23's....

i heard the club heads scratch and ding pretty easily on the mizuno mx-23's. i just got them and haven't even hit them yet but would hate to have to get head covers for them, its not for me, but if they ding and scratch easily i may have to. i was wondering if anyone experienced this on their mx-23's. thanks.

From Mizuno website

My forged irons have rust showing up on the face of the club. Is this normal?

Yes, rust can happen. Forged heads are made of a mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting balls you scratch the surface of the chrome which can eventually expose the raw steel to moisture and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40 and clean with a nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with a high iron content can accelerate the production of rust.

"The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust"

Ever noticed that all the pros use headcovers? Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Ever noticed that all the pros use headcovers? Wonder why?
    If Titleist or Cleveland gave me my clubs and paid me to use them, I probably wouldn't worry about head covers, either!

I think I missed something here. Are the mx-23's irons? If so all irons get scratches. What's the big deal.

If they are irons now I see why he wouldn't want to put covers on them. That does look stupid, but it's silly to worry about a tool that you'll be using to hit through dirt and sand with.

On all of the golf boards, the subject of "iron covers vs. no iron covers" has been beaten to death in countless threads, and I'm sure that no one has changed their mind as a result of all of the material written. It ranks up there with "cavity backs vs. blades", "OEM vs. components" and "forged vs. cast" as a subjects certain to generate more heat than light. The value of iron covers is mainly to preserve the aesthetics of your clubs over the long run, particularly if they are forged (like the Mizuno MX-23's). If you have any intention of selling them at any time in the future, they'll be worth more if you have kept them in covers while driving them in your vehicle and while you use an electric cart, because they will bang together and ding each other. If you carry your clubs or use a hand cart, it's less important on the course whether they are covered or not. On the other hand, if you are going to play the clubs for years, then put them in your attic to rot, or don't care about resale and just don't want to hassle with covers, or are easily intimidated by what other people might think of you, then don't use covers. Basically, if you are a secure person, do what you want; don't worry about what anybody else says or thinks. They're your clubs, not theirs.

anap, that's the most inquisitive I've seen anybody be AFTER they bought the clubs but BEFORE they hit them. 2 weeks ago you hit us with the scintillating "I bought these MX-23s, are they any good?" and now you go with "I got them, haven't hit them yet, but if they ding up too easy should I get iron covers?" You're supposed to do research, test drive a few clubs, ask questions on golf forums, before you go out and buy... it's too late now so just hit that **** already!

I got a pretty nice car but I flog it pretty hard and it's lucky to see the car wash once a month. I'm similarly rough on my golf equipment. They're implements to help you accomplish something. Who cares about aesthetics.

Damn. LBC must be getting antsy for his upcoming trip. Kinda giving it to anap.

Just tell him to get the iron covers and rust those puppies.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime
    Damn. LBC must be getting antsy for his upcoming trip. Kinda giving it to anap.

Just tell him to get the iron covers and rust those puppies.
    oh yeah... get iron covers and rust those puppies.

I got a giant gouge on the sole of my PW when I tried to hit a rock hiding behind my ball in 6 inch high rough. The pinging noise at impact was so high my ears were ringing. Went to the shop to have the loft and lie checked immediately afterward and put the bastard back in the bag, battle scars and all. It hits fine.

Don't forget to ask 12 more questions about your new purchase and I'd wait at least another 6 months before hitting them because you don't want them scratched so soon after you bought them.

wow, rough crowd. no need to get uptight, it was a simple question. maybe some of you haven't been laid in a while. to all others responding with helpful info, appreciate it.

Thread Information