|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Stiff flex vs regular flex steel

Just wondering about the diff between stiff and regular flex in steel shafts. What type of player would I have to be in order to warrant a stiff flex shaft? I have been playing with regulars so far and they have been pretty good. What differences will I see in my game if I go to stiff? I am just referring to irons.

Stiff shafts will be straighter but shorter. I suggust that you see your Pro to get the proper fit. A lot has to do with your swing speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsogood
    Just wondering about the diff between stiff and regular flex in steel shafts. What type of player would I have to be in order to warrant a stiff flex shaft? I have been playing with regulars so far and they have been pretty good. What differences will I see in my game if I go to stiff? I am just referring to irons.

What is the difference between Stiff "graphite shafts" and Regular "steel shafts"?

There are many factors that need to be considered to choose the right flex shaft - clubhead speed at impact, and shaft loading (the amount of force applied to the shaft when you start your downswing), are two of the most important. You can go to True Temper's or Precision's (maker or the Rifle shafts) websites and they have some guidelines that will help you choose what's right - how far you hit a 7-iron, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsogood
    golfworks.com also has a free fitting service if you don't want to go through your local pro for fitting. flex is about speed as well as being able to square the clubface at impact. stiff shafts are usually for the better player who in general has a faster swing b/c he is more confident with it and can square the clubface at a quicker pace. regular flex helps make up for the small difference in swing speed primarily by allowing the clubhead time to square at the proper time in the downswing/impact. but keep i mind that everyone's swing is different and there is quite a bit of variation from one shaft manufacturer to another. what may be stiff to one manufacturer may be regular to another. if what you have now works for you, why change?

Thread Information