|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Just got back from my first "real" loop

Ok so last week I was in caddy training, but this week I actually caddied for the first time. It is a lot harder than normally walking the course with my bag.

I now HATE Ping bags. The shoulder strap was soooooo annoying!!!!

Well I am extremely tired and was tiped $40 which I hear is disrespectful to give a caddy but it was my first time so I dont mind.

Ben ; you didn't tell the guy to buy a Nike bag did you? That would explain the 40.00 dollar tip.

Quote Originally Posted by golfsalot27
    Ben ; you didn't tell the guy to buy a Nike bag did you? That would explain the 40.00 dollar tip.

No comment.

around here, we're grateful for a $40 tip. Thats a good tip at bethpage.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    around here, we're grateful for a $40 tip. Thats a good tip at bethpage.

Really? Well maybe because its a public course.

I had a caddy at LaCosta and at Olympia Fields, but #1 I didn't know $40 was disrespectful and #2 they didn't carry my bag, a friend and I were on carts both times. By the way, at LaCosta, my caddy was a retired Irish pro who played on the Euro Ryder Cup team like 30 or 40 years ago....what an experience.

TheRod
    "Fairways and greens, and don't forget to wave."

when you say a $40 tip, do you mean all said and done you made 40 dollars, or you made a set fee, say 40-50 dollars, plus a 40 dollar tip?

IMO, ping hoofers and single-straped titleist bags are the best bags to carry. Anything with a backpack strap is no doubt the worst to carry, especially when you get two bags with backpack straps and you must put one backwards over your left shoulder. Though the hoofers have two straps, they are individual which makes it nice whether you have one or two bags.

You'll be begging for those Ping Hoofers once you get a couple Wilson Staff leather bags!

There are some courses though where the caddies bring their own bag, and they put all the players stuff in the bag they bring. Not a bad idea.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by gt77
    when you say a $40 tip, do you mean all said and done you made 40 dollars, or you made a set fee, say 40-50 dollars, plus a 40 dollar tip?

IMO, ping hoofers and single-straped titleist bags are the best bags to carry. Anything with a backpack strap is no doubt the worst to carry, especially when you get two bags with backpack straps and you must put one backwards over your left shoulder. Though the hoofers have two straps, they are individual which makes it nice whether you have one or two bags.

Just 40 total.

Oh, ouch. For a caddy, that is pretty disrespectful. Although when I was younger I found that guys would give you less money just because they thought "What is a kid going to do with $100."

You'll get more, don't worry.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Assuming that the round took about 5 hours that equates to just under 5 british pounds per hour. Less than the minimum wage in the United Kingdom. The last time I hired a caddy was in about 1992. I paid him his $50 fee and then tipped him a further 25$. He was worth every penny.

Ive never had a caddy, but I would think $40-50 is a pretty fair tip. What were you expecting, $100? Is this some super exclusive club where money is no object to the members? What are the greens fees there?
    Titleist 704, DG S300
    Titleist 904T 10.5
    Callaway 52d wedge
    Titleist Vokey Oil Can 60d wedge
    Adams redline 5 wood stiff flex steel
    4 Ball putter

Quote Originally Posted by shooter mcgavin
    Ive never had a caddy, but I would think $40-50 is a pretty fair tip. What were you expecting, $100? Is this some super exclusive club where money is no object to the members? What are the greens fees there?

I dont get paid by the club, so the tip is all I get, and caddying is a lot of work, better tip would have been 60. And yea at this club the members are mad rich.

What club did you say it was, Westchester CC? If that is it the members should be paying AT LEAST $75-80 per bag. For your first few loops I would expect maybe $60 though. But then again you probably had a long time member who always pays a flat fee regardless, and since it is near the end of the year, they have spent a great deal on caddies so far during the year, and didnt feel like paying that much for a brand new caddie. Something like that could be the case for you but it is still a bad move on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by gt77
    What club did you say it was, Westchester CC? If that is it the members should be paying AT LEAST $75-80 per bag. For your first few loops I would expect maybe $60 though. But then again you probably had a long time member who always pays a flat fee regardless, and since it is near the end of the year, they have spent a great deal on caddies so far during the year, and didnt feel like paying that much for a brand new caddie. Something like that could be the case for you but it is still a bad move on their part.

No, he's caddying at Ardsley Country Club. It's like 3 minutes from my house.

Thread Information