|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Ryder Cup

Ryder Cup

I know it's a little early, but which team do you guys want to win the Ryder Cup?

I personally want the Europeans to win because i'm a big fan of Sergio and Micheal Cambell. I just think that they're a fun team to watch.

A little early?!

Well, the Americans of course.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by Tommysels41
    I know it's a little early, but which team do you guys want to win the Ryder Cup?

I personally want the Europeans to win because i'm a big fan of Sergio and Micheal Cambell. I just think that they're a fun team to watch.
    Hi Tommy E,

Just a minor correction...Mike Campbell is not eligible for the European Ryder Cup team since he is from New Zealand. He would only be eligible for the World's President's Cup team.

Quote Originally Posted by the hummer
    Hi Tommy E,

Just a minor correction...Mike Campbell is not eligible for the European Ryder Cup team since he is from New Zealand. He would only be eligible for the World's President's Cup team.

Your right, but who do you want to win?

Since they don't have Campbell, is he eligible to play for the Americans? Instead of MC, I want Luke Donald to do well and get in.

Hi Tommy E,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/4389096.stm

He should go for it. Having him in the mix would really give the event some gusto.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Yeah, it'd be awesome if Campbell went for it. He's a big presence on the European Tour.

Why would an american golfer go with the euros? Thats sick. We arent suppose to do that.We must be like "go usa" and the euros gotta be like "dont go usa". TOM COME ON, you cant seriously go against america.

Quote Originally Posted by Benguk
    Why would an american golfer go with the euros? Thats sick. We arent suppose to do that.We must be like "go usa" and the euros gotta be like "dont go usa". TOM COME ON, you cant seriously go against america.

I don't dislike the USA team, just like the European team more. They have a couple of my favorite players including Sergio, Luke Donald, maybe Cambpell, and Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bater
    Of course that all changes if he does become a British citizen. Thanks for the link, I didn't
    realize that he is considering it.

Your right, but who do you want to win?

Since they don't have Campbell, is he eligible to play for the Americans? Instead of MC, I want Luke Donald to do well and get in.
    No he isn't eligible to play for the Americans, but if he applies for British citizenship he is definitely eligible for the Euros.

Being from Canada, I'm not really pulling for either the US or the Euros. I like the players from both sides. Although the US seem more talented on paper, and appear to be more together after the last President's Cup, I still give the edge to the Euros...for whatever reason they seem to have their number in Ryder Cup competition.

I just want to see a good and exciting, down to the wire competition like the last President's Cup.

Of course that all changes if he does become a British citizen. Thanks for the link, I didn't
    realize that he is considering it.
    if he considers it he is an idiot!

who thought Cambell was European? lmfao, 'cos someone ain't American they suddenly become European!!! lmfao i think not.

if he becomes "British" I would not support him in the Ryder Cup, i would be neutral. Ofcourse i want Europeans to win, that's what it's all about, pride etc etc. who would really want to play for a country (in this case a continent) where they are not from and have no "real" connections with???

poor show...

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    He should go for it. Having him in the mix would really give the event some gusto.
    Yeah.. because the Europeans have really struggled recently?

Saying that, it should be closer this time... hopefully.

I'd have to agree with my fello canuck, Hummer on this one. I probably tend to pull abit more for the States since more of my favorites are on that team, but it is more about the shots than the pride for me. I like seeing Tiger get really challenged, but then again, I'd love to see someone really wipe the floor with Monty. If it is half as good as the President's Cup then it will be a great match-up.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

Anyone know why Sergio didn't play in the Presidents Cup?

Anyone know why Sergio didn't play in the Presidents Cup?
    Sergio is Spanish. Part of Europe. Part of Ryder Cup. Not allowed to play Presidents Cup. End Communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Sergio is Spanish. Part of Europe. Part of Ryder Cup. Not allowed to play Presidents Cup. End Communication.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. He always putts so well in the Ryder Cup, i'm excited to watch him play. Exciting one to watch.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. He always putts so well in the Ryder Cup, i'm excited to watch him play. Exciting one to watch.
    I honestly dont believe he is gonna putt any better in the Ryder Cup.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Come on lads - play nicely. . But seriously - The Ryder Cup is a feast of good golf, played in the spirit of friendly competition. As a Scot I will be rooting for Europe but if the USA wins I will still have enjoyed the competition.
    Last edited by A V Twiss; 11-08-2005 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Addition of lines

tommyels you don't seem to know much about the golf competitions...

you said (paraphrased) "why doesn't cambell play in the european side"
    well duh
    and then "why doesn't sergio play in the presidents cup team"
    well double duh...

why are you and benguk arguing? i though you were mature hence you are moderators...

Quote Originally Posted by theidioticbizarre
    if he considers it he is an idiot!

who thought Cambell was European? lmfao, 'cos someone ain't American they suddenly become European!!! lmfao i think not.

if he becomes "British" I would not support him in the Ryder Cup, i would be neutral. Ofcourse i want Europeans to win, that's what it's all about, pride etc etc. who would really want to play for a country (in this case a continent) where they are not from and have no "real" connections with???

poor show...
    Maybe not an idiot, but I agree with your sentiments.

I could understand obtaining a citizenship because Campbell now reside in England, and that his wife and children were born there. However, to obtain one and play golf for the Euros in Ryder Cup play...come on that's nonsense. Regardless if Campbell becomes a citizen of England and that he qualifies for the team on points...he should not even consider playing for the Euros in the Ryder Cup. He should have pride in his own origin. This sort of thing makes me shake my head as it ruins the entire spirit of Ryder Cup team play.

If this occurs, maybe Ernie and Vijay who live over in Florida, may want to consider obtaining American citizenships and play for the US team in Ryder Cup action...maybe split duties in President's Cup play as well!

Just heard from Renton Laidlaw during the telecast of the European Tour event in China that Campbell was merely throwing a bone out at the press. Apparently he was not happy with the press for something or another and decided to get them going by entertaining the thought of obtaining a British citizenship with his distant Scotish roots and qualifying for the European team to play in the upcoming Ryder Cup. I take it that he was never serious about the idea.

hey Tommysels41, do you know what countries are and aren't in Europe? Or do you understand how the President's and Ryder Cups are organised. I'm sorry to sound smart but you seem very ignorant to Golf and Geography

Sergio and the Presidents Cup?!?!?!?!
    Michael Campbell and the Ryder Cup?!?!?!?

Anyhow I hope the Europeans kick ass again. A lot of people don't give the European Tour credit simply because they reckon the US tour is better (has more money). Admittadly our top golfers, Harrington, Sergio, Donald play mainly on the US Tour (more money, who can blame them). Tiger says he's going to play more European Tour events because it's a big challenge. Anyway I just hope it's played in a sporting manner and it's really tight. I'm so looking forward to it cos its in Ireland, and I'm Irish so there'll be huge home support. C'mon Europe!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stringy
    hey Tommysels41, do you know what countries are and aren't in Europe? Or do you understand how the President's and Ryder Cups are organised. I'm sorry to sound smart but you seem very ignorant to Golf and Geography

Sergio and the Presidents Cup?!?!?!?!
    Michael Campbell and the Ryder Cup?!?!?!?

Anyhow I hope the Europeans kick ass again. A lot of people don't give the European Tour credit simply because they reckon the US tour is better (has more money). Admittadly our top golfers, Harrington, Sergio, Donald play mainly on the US Tour (more money, who can blame them). Tiger says he's going to play more European Tour events because it's a big challenge. Anyway I just hope it's played in a sporting manner and it's really tight. I'm so looking forward to it cos its in Ireland, and I'm Irish so there'll be huge home support. C'mon Europe!!!!!

If you'd read the thread, somebody already said that. I am new to golf, pfffff somebody's got their panties in a bunch.

If you'd read the thread, somebody already said that. I am new to golf, pfffff somebody's got their panties in a bunch.

I don't know i'd go so far to say that.

I don't know i'd go so far to say that.

I did because he just restated exactly what somebody else said.

I did because he just restated exactly what somebody else said.

I would have said-

"Dont get your knickers in a twist"

it pertains to golf.

with clubs like yours Tommyels i am very suprised that you are new to golf!
    but if you are i can't blame you for not knowing all the in's and out's...

with clubs like yours Tommyels i am very suprised that you are new to golf!
    but if you are i can't blame you for not knowing all the in's and out's...

I'm a club ho, you must understand. I've only been playing for about a year so I'm relatively new to it. In time, i'll learn.

I simply cannot imagine someone not supporting the team from their own country/continent. Although I am not a big fan of excessive Nationalism and I truly enjoy many European players, I cannot imagine myself not rooting strongly for the US in the Ryder Cup...Its all just a game anyway...

And the weird thing about it all is the vast majority of American players (Tiger being the most notable exception) are of European ancestry. This is why most American fans (I think) don't really get revved up too much about it as the European players represent countries of their ancestors anyway. I am half English, one quarter Scot and one quarter French, so my ability to identify with Europeans is not terribly far fetched. Couple this with the fact that past generations of my family fought in France in both WWI and WWII add to this. I sometimes meet Europeans who think poorly of the U.S. but somehow fail to realize that much of America is simply Euros who moved here a few generations back.

I think it is a great event and I love to watch it because it takes an Individual sport and for a few days, converts it into a team sport. I also like the different formats which require different pairing and playing strategies...

I've see all the majors except The Open Championship. I was scheduled to be there in 1999 and could not go. I will make it there one day and will also see a Ryder Cup...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    I simply cannot imagine someone not supporting the team from their own country/continent. Although I am not a big fan of excessive Nationalism and I truly enjoy many European players, I cannot imagine myself not rooting strongly for the US in the Ryder Cup...Its all just a game anyway...

And the weird thing about it all is the vast majority of American players (Tiger being the most notable exception) are of European ancestry. This is why most American fans (I think) don't really get revved up too much about it as the European players represent countries of their ancestors anyway. I am half English, one quarter Scot and one quarter French, so my ability to identify with Europeans is not terribly far fetched. Couple this with the fact that past generations of my family fought in France in both WWI and WWII add to this. I sometimes meet Europeans who think poorly of the U.S. but somehow fail to realize that much of America is simply Euros who moved here a few generations back.

I think it is a great event and I love to watch it because it takes an Individual sport and for a few days, converts it into a team sport. I also like the different formats which require different pairing and playing strategies...

I've see all the majors except The Open Championship. I was scheduled to be there in 1999 and could not go. I will make it there one day and will also see a Ryder Cup...
    Most of us who are descendants of 3rd, 4th , or 5th generation Americans are pretty much DNA vegetable soup anyway. My surname is Swedish, but I'm less Swedish than I am German, Irish, English, and who knows what else........
    I enjoy seeing the USA win, but we Americans probably don't get as worked up about it as the Europeans, who might see it as a big brother / little brother rivalry.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I enjoy seeing the USA win, but we Americans probably don't get as worked up about it as the Europeans, who might see it as a big brother / little brother rivalry.
    Well said...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    Well said...
    Indeed. And like the good big brothers we Euros are, we hope that one day you will all mature and develop a sense of decorum.

Americans not get worked up about the Ryder Cup?

Brookline, anyone?

Indeed. And like the good big brothers we Euros are, we hope that one day you will all mature and develop a sense of decorum.

Americans not get worked up about the Ryder Cup?

Brookline, anyone?
    I was really thinking as much about the players as the fans. It seems that the American players can get fired up at times, but often they strike me as a bit blase about the whole thing. It's as though they expect to win, so they don't try as hard as the Europeans. I could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling.
    I'm not sure which is the little vs. big brother in the mix, but it does sound like sibling rivalry.

the americans just can't function as a TEAM atm. it's not because they aren't fired up. look at how everyone, european and american, talk about this competition. i see fire in everyones eyes.

brookline exactly.

no fire??? ha!

the americans just can't function as a TEAM atm. it's not because they aren't fired up. look at how everyone, european and american, talk about this competition. i see fire in everyones eyes.

brookline exactly.

no fire??? ha!
    Part of the problem may be down to the fact that Europeans, in general, are familiar with the concept of international team sport - football/soccer, rugby etc. Whereas Americans in general are more insular and individual. Although brilliant individually, they find it hard to grasp the concept of a team mentality.

Whereas Americans in general are more insular and individual. Although brilliant individually, they find it hard to grasp the concept of a team mentality.

Is this about all sports? No. Most team sports that America plays rule against others. Baseball, Basketball, Hockey to name a few.

Is this about all sports? No. Most team sports that America plays rule against others. Baseball, Basketball, Hockey to name a few.

If I can decipher this correctly, you are saying that America rules in all team sports it plays?

If that's the case, you need some education.

The main international world sport is football. There is a football world cup every four years in which virtually every country on earth competes. From preliminary stages through to the four-yearly finals. America has been competing for decades and has even hosted the tournament. They have never done well. Ever.

Next, Rugby. America has never competed well against international teams.

Cricket is a popular international team sport. America? Not involved.

Instead America has developed her own sports, such as baseball and American Football. Are they world events? Hardly.

Tell me what international mainstream team events America regularly competes in?

America is a nation steeped in the cult of the individuality and insularity.

I speak as a Korean/American who has lived away from America (Noo Joisey) for nearly 6 years. It has been the best thing for myself and my family, opening my eyes to the world and seeing ourselves as other see us. And what I see ain't good.

If I can decipher this correctly, you are saying that America rules in all team sports it plays?

If that's the case, you need some education.

The main international world sport is football. There is a football world cup every four years in which virtually every country on earth competes. From preliminary stages through to the four-yearly finals. America has been competing for decades and has even hosted the tournament. They have never done well. Ever.

Next, Rugby. America has never competed well against international teams.

Cricket is a popular international team sport. America? Not involved.

Instead America has developed her own sports, such as baseball and American Football. Are they world events? Hardly.

Tell me what international mainstream team events America regularly competes in?

America is a nation steeped in the cult of the individuality and insularity.

I speak as a Korean/American who has lived away from America (Noo Joisey) for nearly 6 years. It has been the best thing for myself and my family, opening my eyes to the world and seeing ourselves as other see us. And what I see ain't good.

Excuse me but you have made a mistake.

Starting this winter, baseball is going to have a World Cup with many many countries around the world. Basketball is also very popular now around the world. I think you need a little education.

Hockey?
    Most of the players in the NHL are Canadians or Europeans. They just play in the US.

Thread Information