|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question What Degree Wedge?

I have my mind set on getting a new wedge. It is likely that I will probably get a Vokey Spin Milled. But I'm unsure on what degree to get, I was thinking 58*. The thing is I want to get only 1 wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Freismeister
    I have my mind set on getting a new wedge. It is likely that I will probably get a Vokey Spin Milled. But I'm unsure on what degree to get, I was thinking 58*. The thing is I want to get only 1 wedge.

Well lets see, being that you most likely have a Pitching Wedge that came with your set, you should get a 56* Vokey SM if those are the only wedges you will have.

I second a 56 degree because it'll be a good distance for you. The lob or gap wedges aren't really necessary although they're good tools to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommysels41
    I second a 56 degree because it'll be a good distance for you. The lob or gap wedges aren't really necessary although they're good tools to have.
    I guess I could just open the face on shorter shots, so I think I will just go a 56 degree. Thanks.

I'd vote for 54* depending on how far you can hit a full wedge shot.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    I'd vote for 54* depending on how far you can hit a full wedge shot.

Than he may have problems with shorter distances. It is harder to adapt to different swing lengths with lower lofts. 56 is right in the middle. And from the sand he'd be el screwed.

54 out of a bunker is pretty tough. Another shot that's almost impossible is a flop with no green. You'd really have to get lucky, for a beginner like myself I would reccomend a 56. I got a 56 as my first wedge and am now really solid around the greens.

My 54* Vokey has 8* of bounce. I prefer it from the sand to my 58*, I have little difficulty lofting the club face and hitting a flop shot, and the tad extra carry it gets (I say "tad" because the 2* difference is not making that much difference) would make it a more versatile club for someone going with only a PW and a 50+. I am not disagreeing with you guys, a 56* would be a fine choice (PW & SW was the setup I started with), but having seen the difference, I would now go with the 54*...BTW, choke down an inch with your grip and voila...56* distance from a 54* club face.

I'd say a 56 degree wedge assuming you already have a pitching wedge in your bag. You can probably get up to around 100-110 yards out of one of these with a good strike but there is also versatility out of greenside traps and knocking it stone dead from other spots around the green. If I had to pick one wedge loft this would be it. Hope this helps.

My wedge setup is 32', 75', and sometimes I roll with a 105'. Puts the bread on the table.

just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsford
    My wedge setup is 32', 75', and sometimes I roll with a 105'. Puts the bread on the table.

What does this mean?

I was thinking 32 yards, 75 yards and 105 yards. But then I was thinking since you used the " ' " symbol you meant feet. Either way how can you have a wedge that you can only hit 32 yards? Maybe you meant something completely different. Kinda curious now.

Quote Originally Posted by Res Ipsa
    What does this mean?

I was thinking 32 yards, 75 yards and 105 yards. But then I was thinking since you used the " ' " symbol you meant feet. Either way how can you have a wedge that you can only hit 32 yards? Maybe you meant something completely different. Kinda curious now.
    I use three wedges; the 0 degree, the 45 degree, and the 90 degree.
    The zero degree works great on the greens for those short "bump and run" shots near the hole. (Actually, a lot of people bend their "zero degree wedge" to about 4 degrees).
    The 45 degree wedge comes in handy for shorter approach shots and chipping.
    The 90 degree wedges is very helpful for knocking birds and insects out of the sky if they are flying right over you in an annoying or threatening fashion........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I use three wedges; the 0 degree, the 45 degree, and the 90 degree.
    The zero degree works great on the greens for those short "bump and run" shots near the hole. (Actually, a lot of people bend their "zero degree wedge" to about 4 degrees).
    The 45 degree wedge comes in handy for shorter approach shots and chipping.
    The 90 degree wedges is very helpful for knocking birds and insects out of the sky if they are flying right over you in an annoying or threatening fashion........
    I've been toting a 120*...I can do Mickelson's over-the-shoulder pitch with it off a flat fairway.

Just got a new SM, awesome wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    I've been toting a 120*...I can do Mickelson's over-the-shoulder pitch with it off a flat fairway.
    Hmmmm. I like it. Maybe I should get one of them too, you never know when your going to have to do a shot over your shoulder. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thread Information