|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

MX-20 for a 25 Handicapper

I have been playing for 5 years now and still playing my beginner clubs (Spalding), and thought I would invest in a new set of irons. I spent a great part of last summer trying differnt irons. When I first started trying them I quickly turned to the more popular makes, Callaway, Titliest, Taylor Made, Ping, only to find I wasn't really taking a liking to any particular set. Then the sales rep. suggetsed I try a set of mizuno MX20, I wasn't to optimistic since I had never really heard of mizuno before. Before I knew it I had fell in love with this forged cavity back club.
    Having gotten married last year, my plans to purchase the clubs were delayed to this summer. Now it seems that evrywhere I go the sales people keep telling me not to but these clubs if I have a handicap of 25. They say I will have an extremely hard time hitting them and that I will end up pitching them in some lake.
    So now I'm really confused. I found a set I really feel confident hitting, and everyone is telling me there not for me. Please keep in mind that every club I did try was hit indoors in front of one of those computerized screens. Now I'm really afraid to buy these clubs. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by scuderia6
    I have been playing for 5 years now and still playing my beginner clubs (Spalding), and thought I would invest in a new set of irons. I spent a great part of last summer trying differnt irons. When I first started trying them I quickly turned to the more popular makes, Callaway, Titliest, Taylor Made, Ping, only to find I wasn't really taking a liking to any particular set. Then the sales rep. suggetsed I try a set of mizuno MX20, I wasn't to optimistic since I had never really heard of mizuno before. Before I knew it I had fell in love with this forged cavity back club.
    Having gotten married last year, my plans to purchase the clubs were delayed to this summer. Now it seems that evrywhere I go the sales people keep telling me not to but these clubs if I have a handicap of 25. They say I will have an extremely hard time hitting them and that I will end up pitching them in some lake.
    So now I'm really confused. I found a set I really feel confident hitting, and everyone is telling me there not for me. Please keep in mind that every club I did try was hit indoors in front of one of those computerized screens. Now I'm really afraid to buy these clubs. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    The sales reps are recommending against these clubs because as Game Improvement irons go - they are not extremely high on the scale - although they clearly have some game improvement characteristics. A fairly high handicapper like yourself, is usually looking for a mid-size cavity backed cast club and there are literally dozens of these on the market.

On the other hand, all golfers should CLEARLY buy what seems to help them the most and the clubs that make them the most Comfortable.

This is where the rub comes in - the fact that you have only hit them indoors. This is a major purchase for you. Strongly recommend that you get the retailer to allow you to take a complete set of these clubs out and hit them - BOTH on the range and in actual play. If you love them as much as you did when you hit them indoors, buy them and don't look back. But I would not buy them (or anything) based on only hitting them indoors.

Thread Information