|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

HELP! New driver. Maybe a Ping G2. Any advice??

Hi all. Started playing 18 months ago and bought a very cheap driver from a sports shop for $20, £15. Anyway I am now hitting this about 200-250 yds and pretty accurate so im thinking if i can hit this why not get a really good driver that will last me a couple of years at least. Ive been searching the t'internet and found that the ping g2 is supposed to be very good and the taylormade r5, r7. Also the ping g5. Can any1 coment on what they think is the best driver about and why? I will be getting this driver custom fitted. Thanks for the comments in advance.

I have the G2, it is a good driver, and since the G5 is out, you can probably good price. I would also look at the Cleveland Launcher Comp. I hit the G2 well, If I had to do it again, it would be 50~50 on which one I would get. Getting tested for you speed and launch angle is a good idea. Too many people buy a top dollar driver only fail to get the right shaft, or too low of a loft, only to find themselves on the market a year later simply because they got the wrong setup. The biggest mistake I see is too low of a loft thinking it will add distance from roll.

I second PA Jayhawk's suggestion that you DEMO before you buy, whenever possible. A large percentage of how you like or dislike a driver depends on whether you have a shaft that fits your swing. You can discuss that subject ad infinitum on the board, but there is no substitute for getting out ON A RANGE and actually trying the driver to see what the ball does. Hitting balls into a net at a store is a poor substitute. Hitting on a launch monitor is a great idea for tweaking the trajectory, spin, and other factors, but there is nothing like actually watching the ball flight to judge whether you have the right head/shaft combination.
    Good luck.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Buddy of mine sent me a link to the new 1,000cc driver from Golfsmith. It's a shame really, because some poor sould out there is going to think that it's really a usable club.

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/ppage.php?stynum=G3100

I prefer the 905T because of its boring ball flight.
    [b][i][font=Courier New][size=6][color=blue]Absolute power corrupts absolutely.[/color][/size][/font][/i][/b]

The r5 TP is the best retail driver out. Period... Long, forgiving, and a sick diamania shaft. cant be beat.

I currently own the G2 and it has recently become my most consistent club with average drives of 260 and great drives of 290+. It wasn't always so, though. I took a hiatus from golf, so when I returned recently, I was stuck with my small Steelhead III 10 degree (225cc) with a 43.5 inch steel shaft. I got fit on a launch monitor and the G2 with Graphalloy blue stiff shaft was the winner.

If you are already comfortable with a long-shafted driver, then you are 80% of the way towards making any of the large clubheads (with long shafts) work for you. However, it took me several months to realize how comparably flat the swing plane of an almost 46 inch driver really is. The G2 driver is 45.75in. I initially thought my blocks and slices--my nature is to hook--were the result of the Graphalloy blue shaft I was originally fitted with. Enter the Aldila NV 65 which my retailer fortunately swapped for me on a "money-back" guarantee. No difference. Never had I put as many golf balls OB as I had with the G2 driver. Flash forward through thousands of range balls and irons-only rounds. I now hardly need to think about swinging it. Even on relative mis-hits, I'm at 230+.

Towards the end of my struggles, during those last days when I thought that maybe the G2 could be bested by a competitor, I demoed the Cleveland Launcher Comp in the same Aldila NV 65 shaft. My swing speed increased quite a bit from 110 mph to consistently over 115 mph and sometimes over 120 mph with a 95% effort. However, I disliked the feeling of the Launcher aerodynamics, i.e. the way it cut through the air. I'm not sure if the this feeling is just novice, imagined interference but it bothered me regardless. My G2 just feels right. It slips through the air as if there is almost no drag.

For what it's worth...
    Last edited by JohnNick; 11-11-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNick
    I currently own the G2 and it has recently become my most consistent club with average drives of 260 and great drives of 290+. It wasn't always so, though. I took a hiatus from golf, so when I returned recently, I was stuck with my small Steelhead III 10 degree (225cc) with a 43.5 inch steel shaft. I got fit on a launch monitor and the G2 with Graphalloy blue stiff shaft was the winner.

If you are already comfortable with a long-shafted driver, then you are 80% of the way towards making any of the large clubheads (with long shafts) work for you. However, it took me several months to realize how comparably flat the swing plane of an almost 46 inch driver really is. The G2 driver is 45.75in. I initially thought my blocks and slices--my nature is to hook--were the result of the Graphalloy blue shaft I was originally fitted with. Enter the Aldila NV 65 which my retailer fortunately swapped for me on a "money-back" guarantee. No difference. Never had I put as many golf balls OB as I had with the G2 driver. Flash forward through thousands of range balls and irons-only rounds. I now hardly need to think about swinging it. Even on relative mis-hits, the I'm at 230+.

Towards the end of my struggles, during those last days when I thought that maybe the G2 could be bested by a competitor, I demoed the Cleveland Launcher Comp in the same Aldila NV 65 shaft. My swing speed increased quite a bit from 110 mph to consistently over 115 mph and sometimes over 120 mph with a 95% effort. However, I disliked the feeling of the Launcher aerodynamics, i.e. the way it cut through the air. I'm not sure if the this feeling is just novice, imagined interference but it bothered me regardless. My G2 just feels right. It slips through the air as if there is almost no drag.

For what it's worth...

Nice first post man, I look forward to seeing you around the board.

I have a Nike Ignite 410cc with an 8.5 loft. I know alot of people are not a big fans of nike products, but I am. This was the first driver I have ever owned and to tell you the truth, at first I wanted to smash this club in two, but now I relized from the members on this site that it's mostly the swing that makes the ball slice or hook. I just saw Tiger Woods hit a ball 370 yards last week and he hit it striaght so I know it can be done. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am not a pro, and will probably never be a pro. After the posts from the members, I went to the driving range and had many changes on my swing which has helped me alot. I love challenges, so this club is perfect for me to try and master it somewhat. So I say get whatever you feel comfortable with. I honestly think there is no big outstanding driver that just destorys the competition. I think its more of a mental thing, maybe a yard here or there but I think at least 90% swing.

If you have the dough to spend, then go with the R7 HT. That's what I'm currently using. It looks great at impact and has a huge sweet spot. The sound is like a gun shot which is awesome. It's easy to completely bomb this club. Check ebay for the HT if you're interested. I got one for half price there new.

If you don't have that kind of dough to spend, then look at the Cally BB 454. I used to use it and it's a greeeat club. I'm having a really hard time taking it out of the bag. It's sooo easy to hit and looks great at impact as well. The only downside is that when at the driving range, it sounds so hollow like a softball bat. On the course, it's a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommysels41
    If you have the dough to spend, then go with the R7 HT. That's what I'm currently using. It looks great at impact and has a huge sweet spot. The sound is like a gun shot which is awesome. It's easy to completely bomb this club. Check ebay for the HT if you're interested. I got one for half price there new.

If you don't have that kind of dough to spend, then look at the Cally BB 454. I used to use it and it's a greeeat club. I'm having a really hard time taking it out of the bag. It's sooo easy to hit and looks great at impact as well. The only downside is that when at the driving range, it sounds so hollow like a softball bat. On the course, it's a thing of beauty.
    I agree with the sentiment on the R7 HT. It's what I'm currently playing, with a 757 shaft. It's the best driver I've hit. The other driver that I thought was great was the TM 510 TP, but with the same 757 shaft I consistently hit it lower than I wanted, though it is a very forgiving and straight hitting driver. I like the lower center of gravity in the HT to give me better carry than I got with the 510 TP.
    Since Taylormade has product cycles which are measured in picoseconds, the R7's and R7 TP's are now in the "discounted but still new" part of their product life cycle.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjwest
    Hi all. Started playing 18 months ago and bought a very cheap driver from a sports shop for $20, £15. Anyway I am now hitting this about 200-250 yds and pretty accurate so im thinking if i can hit this why not get a really good driver that will last me a couple of years at least. Ive been searching the t'internet and found that the ping g2 is supposed to be very good and the taylormade r5, r7. Also the ping g5. Can any1 coment on what they think is the best driver about and why? I will be getting this driver custom fitted. Thanks for the comments in advance.
    i just started about a year ago...and i had alot of trouble with my drives to begin with...i used the crap drivers they give u with the complete set, then i decided to borrow my buddys 300 dollar driver(the r5) it straightned out my swing and made me hit longer with no effort...no contest the r5 if uve got the money for it...as for me i use a great big bertha II pro series...not the greatest but its really great for people with draws

I have a Ping G5 and I just replaced it with the Callaway FT-3.

The FT-3 is a great consitant club (more so in my opinion that the G5)

The FT-3 is pricey but well worth it.

I can give you or anyone a hell of a deal on the G5 I have with a Stiff Prolaunch blue 10.5* if you are interested. IM me if you would like it.

I play an old Taylor Made R540XD which I love with the stock shaft. I have hit a few different drivers including the G2, Sasquatch, & 454. The only club that felt as sweet as my Taylor made was the Callaway. BTW I played with a guy yesterday that was hitting his FT-3 300+ yards with a big draw down the middle in 45* weather every drive. I was very impressed.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

look at the bridgestone j33r, 460

I have a G2...it is the best all-around driver I have used for any amount of time so far. If money is not an object then I would check out the new Mizuno..it is sweet.
    Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!

try wilson deep red II tour

I play ping irons so i am a fan of Ping, but i honestly think that they dont make the best drivers. You should try the wilson Deep Red II tour. It has great balance and hits extremely well. The price should be good, you can get them in Canada for $100 which is 50gbp.
    They look amazing with the beatiful deep lustrous head, all my buddies stand back in awe on the tee, and when I launch it 300 up the fairway, with amazing accuracy everytime they all want to have a hit themselves.
    You should get it fitted, though the factory graphalloy shaft (mine is stiff) is a very good shaft, and the golf pride grip is good, you will always get the most out of a driver when its fitted to your exact grip size, address and swing speed.
    try this club on the range and see if you can hit 80 consecutive drives over 260, with a left to right spread of only 35 yards. Its so accurate I can now play fades and draws!!

oh yeah the bridgestones are the bomb...great sweet spot, but still not a callaway type feel or taylormade feel, also the new cleveland driver...its kinda sexy

Thread Information