|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Woods Getting Longer, Irons Getting Shorter

Has anyone had this problem where your woods off the tee or fairway have been getting better, but somehow your iron play has "suffered" reciprocally?

What I mean specifically is, without having changed any equipment or consciously changing my swing, my driver & fairway woods have been getting longer and straighter, but somehow iron play (for all irons) has become inconsistent and short.

I know I should go see a pro, etc, but I'm just wondering aloud here on whether anyone has encountered this problem, what caused it for them, and what they did to rectify it.

Any suggestions please?

I actually had that exact same problem, but that was when i was like 16, I am 18 now. My dad was watching my swing and he told me I was doing a driver swing, so I just looked at him, then he told me i was keeping my left arm too straight. Well it fixed my problem, i try more of a wrist shot for irons and driver more lower body if that makes sence. Hope it helps, or you can understand...

Quote Originally Posted by leslikoh
    Has anyone had this problem where your woods off the tee or fairway have been getting better, but somehow your iron play has "suffered" reciprocally?

What I mean specifically is, without having changed any equipment or consciously changing my swing, my driver & fairway woods have been getting longer and straighter, but somehow iron play (for all irons) has become inconsistent and short.

I know I should go see a pro, etc, but I'm just wondering aloud here on whether anyone has encountered this problem, what caused it for them, and what they did to rectify it.

Any suggestions please?
    I don't think there's any question that woods have improved dramatically in distance over the last 20 years while irons haven't made any distance changes when compared to the same lie and loft of 20 years ago. What they've improved is their accuracy, any distance changes we've seen has been due to ball changes.

The longest iron I hit is a 5 for that reason, the ball just doesn't jump off an iron like it does off a wood. That way I can concentrate more on good impact instead trying to make a perfect swing.

Yes thanks, will try that. On hindsight, think I've been using too much of a "woods" swing to hit the irons which just doesn't work at all.

Probably have been spending too much time trying to improve driver distance at the expense of iron play. I think what's happening is that there's too much lower body movement (?) in the irons so I end up putting a heck of a lot of effort into the swing, but the ball doesn't go anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by leslikoh
    I think what's happening is that there's too much lower body movement (?) in the irons so I end up putting a heck of a lot of effort into the swing, but the ball doesn't go anywhere...
    Yes! Many times in golf the harder we try the SHORTER it goes.

Thread Information